Continental - delayed baggage compensation?

Options
Hello folks,

Two weeks ago I had a flight with Continental from the US to the UK.
My flight got heavily delayed more than 7 hours.
Although I asked for it several times - no refreshments were supplied by Contintental claiming that it wasn't their fault.

Making it worst also my baggage didn't come in time.
It was scheduled for Monday. The airport or the courier service phoned on Tuesday claming that my baggage on Tuesday. So I spent all day long waiting on Tuesday for my baggage. It didn't come till Thursday.

What much compensation can I claim from Continental?
Is there a compensation for inconvenience?
How can I quantify this - there are no receipts.

Another than that, I have spent ages in the phone queue waiting to talk to someone from Continental's baggage service in the US (I had to make phone calls from the UK to the US).

I had also to buy toothbrush, toothpaste, shaver, shower gel, etc.

Thanks!

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Did you have insurance?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Cityboy_2
    Cityboy_2 Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    LemonTree wrote: »
    Hello folks,

Two weeks ago I had a flight with Continental from the US to the UK.
    My flight got heavily delayed more than 7 hours.
    Although I asked for it several times - no refreshments were supplied by Contintental claiming that it wasn't their fault.

Making it worst also my baggage didn't come in time.
    It was scheduled for Monday. The airport or the courier service phoned on Tuesday claming that my baggage on Tuesday. So I spent all day long waiting on Tuesday for my baggage. It didn't come till Thursday.

What much compensation can I claim from Continental?
    Is there a compensation for inconvenience?
    How can I quantify this - there are no receipts.

Another than that, I have spent ages in the phone queue waiting to talk to someone from Continental's baggage service in the US (I had to make phone calls from the UK to the US).

I had also to buy toothbrush, toothpaste, shaver, shower gel, etc.

Thanks!

LemonTree

I think you should start with Continental here: https://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/delayed.aspx

Before looking at alternatives such as insurance etc.
  • LemonTree_3
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    Did you have insurance?
    I believe that I have a free Europe travel insurance coming with my Alliance&Leicester current account. Would this travel insurance be valid on a flight from the US to the UK?
  • funkymonkey
    Options
    no it wouldn't.

Unless of course you paid to upgrade it to worldwide.
    #113 12K in 2020 Challenge #113 £17,103/£12,000 £15000
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I believe that I have a free Europe travel insurance coming with my Alliance&Leicester current account. Would this travel insurance be valid on a flight from the US to the UK?

did you have no other insurance to go to the US, what about medical cover!
  • neilbond007
    neilbond007 Posts: 2,111 Forumite
    Options
    If the delay flying was due to weather I would say there's no compo. I was delayed for 9 hours in Cincinnati once due to "weather" around Newark. After several flight changes I changed from Continental to Delta. Delta very nicely gave me $15 voucher for food which I promptly spent on 3 large beers (with free vodka shooters).
    My luggage never arrived back for 3 days but i wasn't overly bothered as I was home.
    Buying toiletries... wouldn't you had to of done that anyway in the next few days?

To me I wouldn't of thought you were entitled to anything... but I don't really know. I'm just adding my worthless tuppence worth ;)
  • LemonTree_3
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    did you have no other insurance to go to the US, what about medical cover!
    I was transitting through the US. My journey started from Canada. I do have insurance for my work stay in Canada.
  • LemonTree_3
    Options
    Buying toiletries... wouldn't you had to of done that anyway in the next few days?
    No. I wouldn't.
    To me I wouldn't of thought you were entitled to anything... but I don't really know. I'm just adding my worthless tuppence worth ;)
    You have no idea. I'm afraid your latter statement is true. The stupid security guards didn't allow me to bring any hand luggage abroad. Meaning I had to check in my mobile phone as well. I couldn't contact anyone from my mobile phone because of the delayed luggage. I had important working documents in my checked-in luggage.

Also, I wouldn't spend any money on beer.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    No. I wouldn't.

You have no idea. I'm afraid your latter statement is true. The stupid security guards didn't allow me to bring any hand luggage abroad. Meaning I had to check in my mobile phone as well. I couldn't contact anyone from my mobile phone because of the delayed luggage. I had important working documents in my checked-in luggage.

Also, I wouldn't spend any money on beer.

The phrase 'Pot calling the kettle black' springs to mind! :rolleyes:
    Gone ... or have I?
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 January 2010 at 11:01PM
    Options
    Now lets calm down here. First port of call is as Cityboy says to contact CO via email fro their site.. Do not get upset or start calling them idiots or anything derogatory. Remember that the person reading your email is just a customer service adviser and a human just like you. Explain your situation and the difficulties you endured, along with a round figure of what extra things you had to purchase. Also remember that it was not the airline that lost your bags, it was the ground handling agents at one of the airports that your luggage transited through.(but granted that the airline assumes responsibility)
    I have always found that being calm and polite and especially with U.S. airline agents things normally get sorted out pretty amicably
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure