We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

can i fit/replace my Clio bumper myself?

Options
13»

Comments

• Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    edited 24 January 2010 at 2:08PM
    Options
    katrina123 wrote: »
    total cost was £500 for mot, service, bumper refit, and new headlamp. they seem trustworthy.
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    Would I spend a couple of hours lying on the ground, probably outside, in this weather to possibly save £50?

By my calculations thats about £200 - 300 for a bumper/headlamp removal and refitting, just for lying on the ground and getting your hands dirty for an hour or 2, well worth it IMO.

Not having a go at you OP, some people are able to do vehicle repair some are not -mainly because no one has shown them how to do things and to get a feel and confidence for it-. However had I been you, I would have phoned a lot of small garages/back street garages and asked them for a price to swap the bumpers. & got a £10 headlamp beam test done before agreeing to pay for work on the headlamp.

If it was me, I would look to see if I could realign the headlamp as best I could by using a spacer and a longer screw to bring the headlamp back closer to its original position & then if the headlamp needed replacing (why did it?) my first port of call would be the local scrappies to get one for £10 - £15.
  • katrina123
    Options
    WIG:

yeah i could have saved a few pounds by visiting and speaking to other garages, but i dont have a lot of free time to do this.
    Didnt know about headlamp beamtest, all the garages i asked about whether if the headlamp would make me fail mot, said they were not sure, so they couldnt even help, they said they would only be able to tell during the MOT test.
    During mot i was told headlamp needs replacing as something was not allowing it to be correctly fitted again. I could have took car and shopped around for a second hand headlamp, but thats several days of research and chasing around, im not experienced in this area, i could have bought a headlamp that could not even fitted for my car. So i just agreed to let the garage buy a new headlamp and fit it, as the car was already there. and i had weekend off so didnt need car.
    I dont know any local scrappies or anything. I struggle to remember how to open and close the bonnet even.

bumper cost £30 from diff seller met on ebay.

£500 details:
    LABOUR:
    bumper remove and refit = £40
    pads = __
    disc front pair = £40
    anti roll/stabliser bar linkage front = £16
    lamps exterior = £24
    rear brake adjuster replace = £30
    TOTAL £150

PARTS
    stabiliser link, headlamp assembly (£55),
    brake fitting kit, brake disc, brake pad set
    TOTAL = £156

FULL SERVICE £110
    MOT TEST = £20

(vat all over it too)

I PAID THEM £513 IN TOTAL

THIS IS WHAT MOT FAILED ON:
    - parking break lever has no reserve travel
    - front break juddering severely
    - front anti roll bark linkage fractured
    - nearside headlamp insecure
    - headlamp aim too low
    - bumper has sharp edge caused by damage

SO NOW I HAVE SORTED AND PASSED MOT
    but advisory notes say:
    - nearside brake juddering slightly
    - tyre worn close to legal limit
    - airbag lamp is illuminated

ive been to several garages in my 3 years of my driving career.
    and every time its been a bad experience, sometimes arguing, always parted
    with loads of cash feeling like im being screwed. So now i expect it.

BUT this time (the £500 cost), this garage i feel better about. Ive used them twice, rac man vouched for them. And they seem trustworthy and honest. I dont feel like i got screwed this time.

right, now time to find a new insurance deal! sigh.

cheerio
  • catflea
    catflea Posts: 6,620 Forumite
    Options
    Looking at the parts & charges there, I dont think you've been diddled!

It is however concerning that the brake is juddering (nearside front, or rear?)
    Proud of who, and what, I am. :female::male:
    :cool:
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    Would I spend a couple of hours lying on the ground, probably outside, in this weather to possibly save £50?

No.

Each to his own though.
    Wig wrote: »
    By my calculations thats about £200 - 300 for a bumper/headlamp removal and refitting, just for lying on the ground and getting your hands dirty for an hour or 2, well worth it IMO.
    katrina123 wrote: »
    £500 details:
    LABOUR:
    bumper remove and refit = £40
    pads = __
    disc front pair = £40
    anti roll/stabliser bar linkage front = £16
    lamps exterior = £24
    rear brake adjuster replace = £30
    TOTAL £150

I wouldn't do it for £64 either.
  • katrina123
    katrina123 Posts: 108 Forumite
    edited 25 January 2010 at 3:28PM
    Options
    catflea wrote: »
    Looking at the parts & charges there, I dont think you've been diddled!

It is however concerning that the brake is juddering (nearside front, or rear?)

nearside rear brake

i think the guy spoke about it, he said its one of those things, it could last a lifetime or it could get worse, but its best to see how it goes.
    he said this about one thing, must have been this brake thing....

6 months i did get work done on following from same garage:
    brake shoes, rear whell cylinders
    costing £200
    dont think these areas were problematic at this mot test.......
    although it was something along lines of oil leaking and messing the break system up.....
    not sure if this is still happening.....
  • catflea
    edited 25 January 2010 at 3:33PM
    Options
    I'd bet the rear shoes need replacing & thats whats causing it.....
    Nice straightforward job on most cars too (no familiar with the clio's layout though)

Edit. Just read your post properly........... D'oh!

Personally, I would do the bumper myself to save £64, but then again thats me. I also do work on friends cars when they need it - normally paid for with a night on the town... :D
  • katrina123
    Options
    catflea wrote: »
    I'd bet the rear shoes need replacing & thats whats causing it.....
    Nice straightforward job on most cars too (no familiar with the clio's layout though)

Edit. Just read your post properly........... D'oh!

Personally, I would do the bumper myself to save £64, but then again thats me. I also do work on friends cars when they need it - normally paid for with a night on the town... :D

my usual nights out on town average around £200, so.... double that in london....! hence i do not go out anymore :beer:
  • catflea
    Options
    £200 :eek::eek::eek:

Saying that, I've spent nearly that much just on an outfit to go out on friday (and I'm a bloke :rotfl:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport