We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

can i fit/replace my Clio bumper myself?

Options

Comments

• LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Would I spend a couple of hours lying on the ground, probably outside, in this weather to possibly save £50?

No.

Each to his own though.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    Nor me, mind you, I wouldn't in the Summer months either.;)
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nor me ..... I'd have it in the nice warm garage over the pit :D
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The bumper, with heavy tape over the crack so it isn't dangerous, will pass fine. You've got more of a problem with the headlight if its been pushed out of alignment (they can be adjusted) but the lugs on the back of it have probably been snapped off.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    edited 15 January 2010 at 9:18PM
    Options
    I would, £50 for an hours work and the satisfied feeling afterwards, well worth it, but that's just me.

Can we see a picture of the bumper? It may be possible to do an MOT friendly bodge temporary repair.

Agree it is the headlamp you need to be worried about but even that might still pass as it is.
  • rictus123
    rictus123 Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yep, just watch how you take it off

reverse it to put it on :D
    Work in progress...Update coming July 2012.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Nor me ..... I'd have it in the nice warm garage over the pit :D

Me as well, as long as it wasn't my own nice warm garage, and as long as it wasn't me getting my hands dirty.;)
  • catflea
    catflea Posts: 6,620 Forumite
    Options
    Is a cracked bumper a MOT fail?
    katrina123 wrote: »
    yes, well, my bumper is cracked fully pretty much.
    all car experts ive asked, said it def will fail mot.
    i guess its a safety protection thing.

Cracked bumper is not MOT Fail. The potential failure point is "sharp edges" if you are concerned then gaffa tape is your friend.
    colino wrote: »
    The bumper, with heavy tape over the crack so it isn't dangerous, will pass fine. You've got more of a problem with the headlight if its been pushed out of alignment (they can be adjusted) but the lugs on the back of it have probably been snapped off.

Quoted for emphasis :T
    Proud of who, and what, I am. :female::male:
    :cool:
  • katrina123
    Options
    just want to say thankyou to all who posted to help on this thread, you are all most kind.

the new bumper was so filthy i got all my clothes and hands dirty when i just picked it up and moved it.

so i decieded to just pay the garage to fit it, along with mot and service.

total cost was £500 for mot, service, bumper refit, and new headlamp. they seem trustworthy.

every year i spend several hundred on repairs and parts, is this normal for a T reg clio?? this is my first car, so i dont really know if this is the norm or if it would be better if i sold it while it still works and get a better car, eg upgrade a little bit.

the airbag warning sign has always been on the dashboard, so i might get that checked out, but i hear its difficult to pin point the fault, and garages dont even look forward to doing it, renault dealership even told me its so expensive and to find a cheap local garage to have a look.
    local garage said worst comes to worst you could need a whole new steering wheel section, costing hundreds........ dont know what to do about that.

thanks anyway to all.

cheers.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family