Tesco wouldn't take any coupons

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
57 replies 4.9K views

Replies

• hjb123hjb123 Forumite
    32K Posts
    How come she only took 45p? Were the rest out of date or how come she never accepted them - you would of thought they would have accepted them if you spent that much!
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • Personally I cant see the problem, the coupon is for money off a certain item and if you do not buy that item then why should you be able to use it.
    From what I can remember (not having used a coupon in many years) don't they usually say on them that it is to be used on just that product anyway?
  • schiffschiff Forumite
    19.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is the driving force of MSE to screw the big boys - banks, building societies, insurance companies, supermarket companies, etc. And to have no compunction about doing it. And screw being the operative word.

It is therefore small wonder that the big boys react but what I find hard to accept is the bleating on here, when the individual can't get away with it anymore. Things like stoozing, doing things for reward vouchers etc are legit, even though the recommended MSE sequel is to accept the reward and cut and run.

But this coupon matter isn't the same thing. If you try to use coupons where you don't buy the item - when it clearly states on the coupon the consequences of doing it fraudulently - then you are taking a chance. If you get away with it, all well and good. If you don't, you can't realistically complain - except about a rude supervisor etc (which seems to happen). But people seem to get so angry about not being allowed to get away with it!

Let me make my position clear though, as I know this will not be a popular attitude to adopt. I am into most things derived from MSE and my cheekiest thing was last week. I went through a self-scan till at Asda and used £5 worth of coupons (unrelated to what I'd bought) against a £16 odd shop. After each coupon scanned I was asked - by the machine - to put my coupon in a slot. I wasn't asked to 'slot' my last £1 coupon, so I didn't (though I was credited with it). And I used it again some days later in a different supermarket.

I consider this a bit disgusting on my part (though plenty would have followed my example if they could have got away with it). But my point is that I tried it on and got away with it. On those occasions when I don't, I shrug my shoulders and move on. I certainly don't pout and complain on a thread that the 'enemy' has stopped me taking advantage of them. Why shouldn't they?

schiff (standing by to repel boarders) :D
  • starlite_2starlite_2 Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Battyman wrote:
    "uneducated, uncultured and prone to antisocial or immoral behaviour" is an appropriate description I fear (although not directed at you in particular)

What on earth prompted you to say that?
    It makes no sense whatsoever..
    Membre Of Teh Misspleing Culb
  • icecoolbabeicecoolbabe Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    What would be helpful is if stores (all supermarkers in fact) posted a CLEARLY worded notice in a PROMINENT place at EVERY till regarding their policy on coupons.

I actually asked Tesco head office about this some time ago but all they replied was that it is up to the individual managers of each store to set store policy! Hence, not only do you have all the stores doing their own thing, but the till staff, many of whom are temps and only there a few weeks, completely unaware of the policy.

As a result I have stopped bothering with coupons unless I have actually bought the item - and as my local store does not have self scan I leave it to the till operator to decide if I can use it.

No embarassment, no accusations - simple!

Another thing which turned me away from using coupons was/is the fiasco over trying to use internet coupons. Whilst my home printer is not exactly state of the art - it does print very well - yet till operators were still asking me if they were photocopies.

It's just not worth the hassle.
    If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
  • ben500ben500
    23.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    schiff wrote:

But this coupon matter isn't the same thing. If you try to use coupons where you don't buy the item - when it clearly states on the coupon the consequences of doing it fraudulently - then you are taking a chance. If you get away with it, all well and good. If you don't, you can't realistically complain - except about a rude supervisor etc (which seems to happen). But people seem to get so angry about not being allowed to get away with it! No question whatsover of the consumer committing any dishonest act let alone fraud when presenting a coupon.

Let me make my position clear though, as I know this will not be a popular attitude to adopt. I am into most things derived from MSE and my cheekiest thing was last week. I went through a self-scan till at Asda and used £5 worth of coupons (unrelated to what I'd bought) against a £16 odd shop. After each coupon scanned I was asked - by the machine - to put my coupon in a slot. I wasn't asked to 'slot' my last £1 coupon, so I didn't (though I was credited with it). And I used it again some days later in a different supermarket.

This is theft

I consider this a bit disgusting on my part (though plenty would have followed my example if they could have got away with it). But my point is that I tried it on and got away with it. On those occasions when I don't, I shrug my shoulders and move on. I certainly don't pout and complain on a thread that the 'enemy' has stopped me taking advantage of them. Why shouldn't they?

schiff (standing by to repel boarders) :D

Just to point out I personally don't bleat because I have no difficulty in using coupons and am used to the ups and downs of the acceptance of them. Once again you seem to be under the misconception of so many others in thinking that the consumer is committing some kind of misdead in presenting coupons.
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
  • schiffschiff Forumite
    19.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Once again you seem to be under the misconception of so many others in thinking that the consumer is committing some kind of misdeed in presenting coupons." - your quote.

ben

I beg to differ with you on that. I did start my post on the subject of trying to use coupons when the item had not been purchased and the rest that followed was about that aspect. Using coupons when the goods have been purchased is clearly OK.

You have a situation here where some supermarkets are prepared to join in with you in deceiving the coupon providers by saying that they will accept coupons even if the coupon items are not bought. I see nothing wrong in joining in with that if they make it so easy.

Really the only thing I was trying to get over (maybe you didn't find it that clear, so I apologise!) is complaining when you are prevented from benefiting from these 'try-ons'.

From the general tone of your reply I would assume that you only use coupons for things you have bought. If that is so, I don't understand why you have to get 'used to the ups and downs of the acceptance' of them. Surely they are all accepted in your case?

schiff ;)
  • Gorgeous_GeorgeGorgeous_George Forumite
    8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be embarrassed to use coupons for things other than as intended.

I've read this thread and conclude that trying to use the couponsa at a checkout is acceptable. The operator can choose whether or not to accept them.

Using the coupons at self checkouts is altogether different. The self checkout runs somewhat on a principle of honesty. Using incorrect coupons here is dishonest at least and the terms theft, deception, fraud all seem reasonable to describe such actions.

The simple answer is for all supermarkets to bin the coupon schemes. We shop there because of the consistent high quality and low prices as well as the convenience.

:)

GGT
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • ben500ben500
    23.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    schiff wrote:

You have a situation here where some supermarkets are prepared to join in with you in deceiving the coupon providers by saying that they will accept coupons even if the coupon items are not bought. I see nothing wrong in joining in with that if they make it so easy.

schiff ;)
    I'm afraid again you misunderstand, when I use coupons if I actually purchase the product it is only purely by chance, I use coupons for anything and everything the shop will accept them for and in doing so am committing no deception or crime this is my point.

If I present a coupon for 50p off sanitary towels in exchange for 50p worth of tomatoes and the supermarket accept them that's a done deal. If they then go on to present the coupon to the manufacturer on the basis they have sold a box of sanitary towels, then, and only then does any deception occur and is purportrated by the supermarket and not myself. If I collect goods from a supermarket shelf and offer a dead rat and two rolls of freshly cut turf in exchange for those goods then it is up to the supermarket to accept or decline my offer, what they do with the rat and the turf is up to them and their responsibility not mine so please don't complain if they use them to bury the rat in your back garden.
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
  • schiffschiff Forumite
    19.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ben

You have a wonderful line in imaginative images to back up the points you make by the way. The Dylan Thomas influence maybe?
    ("His vivid and often fantastic imagery was a rejection of the trends in twentieth-century verse...." - Wikipedia)

In response to my original post you hit me with terms including 'dishonest act', 'fraud' and 'theft'. From the tone adopted I imagined you were holier than thou but thankfully it appears you are not! You are just like the rest of us except that you don't beef if they won't accept your coupons. Which makes you exactly like me (with the exception of course of the double whammy I indulged in).

I offer any coupons they are prepared to take : you offer any coupons they are prepared to take : neither of us complain if they won't - we just accept it.

Let peace reign amongst us.

schiff :A
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid test firms form self-regulating body

A bid to tackle poor service concerns

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ quotes & cashback

MSE Guides