PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long does cooked chicken keep for?

Options

Comments

• Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    I'll add this to the existing thread on how long to keep a cooked chicken ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • purplepatch
    purplepatch Posts: 2,534 Forumite
    Options
    I've got an M&S chicken that says use by date of today.

If I roast it tonight is it ok to eat cold tomorrow or put the cooked chicken into a curry for freezing? Is it too late to freeze it tonight before cooking - I think it says to freeze on day of purchase?

I've been totally disorganised this week :o I've got a quiche to use by today as well, can't possibly waste anything!!!
  • Bongedone
    Bongedone Posts: 2,457 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes. If you cook it now then you will be able to use it for about 3-4 days.
  • purplepatch
    Options
    Fab. And it would be ok to cook up a curry with the cooked chicken tomorrow and freeze that?
  • Bongedone
    Bongedone Posts: 2,457 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes that would be fine also.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Fab. And it would be ok to cook up a curry with the cooked chicken tomorrow and freeze that?
    Yep ;)

I don't see why you can't freeze it whole now. Just put a label on it to remind you to cook it asap when you defrost it.
  • Lazy_Ike
    Lazy_Ike Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    I've got an M&S chicken that says use by date of today.
    Snap! M&S chicken with use by today cooking as I type this. We will use left overs through the rest of the week, and then carcass for stock. But I do monitor that my fridge is adequately cold through use of thermometer. There is always the nose test, and ensure well cooked - as you would any chicken.
    [FONT=&quot]si talia jungere possis sit tibi scire satis [/FONT]
  • purplepatch
    Options
    Lazy_Ike wrote: »
    Snap! M&S chicken with use by today cooking as I type this. We will use left overs through the rest of the week, and then carcass for stock. But I do monitor that my fridge is adequately cold through use of thermometer. There is always the nose test, and ensure well cooked - as you would any chicken.

Dine in for a tenner by any chance? :rotfl:
  • Marty82
    Marty82 Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    The same here with me. Bought a M&S whole chicken as part of the £10 deal. Meal plans have kept changing this week so didn't have a chance to cook it until tonight which is the Use By Date. It's not long out of the oven & have been busy carving it & trying not to give into temptation and eat it. Am not sure what to do with it now though. Keep it in the fridge and use for dishes over the next few days or make into things and freeze. Any ideas very welcome.
    Council Tax £1,928.85, Fines £90.00, Old Car Tax £267.00, Gas £337.25, Electric £54.42
    Car Tax Fine £80.00, B/card Visa £470.85, RBS M/C £759.69, M&S M/C £790.00, B/card M/C £2,592.01, House Ins/Title Deeds £1,573.54, Laptop Finance £578.45, Old Car Ins £85.73, Total debt £9,607.79
  • purplepatch
    Options
    One of our faves for chicken leftovers is to make a white sauce (half milk/half chicken stock), stir in chicken, mushrooms, peas whatever you fancy really, then cover with mash potato and whack in the oven to brown it. It's delicious and the kids adore it too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure