Help from you experienced parents!

Options

Comments

• Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    We were given a nappy wrapper as a gift. I used it for a while but the refil cartridges are so expensive. You also had to really fold up dirty nappys well. If you pushed them down the hole in the nappy wrapper and you hadn't folded it tightly, the poo squeezed out all over your hand _pale_

I soon got fed up with it and used cheap nappy bags.

I never bothered with a baby monitor. I used to keep baby in a travel cot downstairs during the day, partly so I could hear when they woke up. On a night they slept in their own cot in their own bedroom, but I left the landing doors open and heard them fine when they woke up crying.

Back to travel cot - I think they are marvellous and I used mine a lot. If I was busy doing housework I would pop baby in the travel cot with some toys and place it where they could see me. When they dropped off, I'd just remove the toys and chuck a blanket over them! Baby got used to daytime sleeps being in light, busy environment, and night sleeps were in his cot in a dark quiet place. I think that helped both of mine sleep through the night quicker than other babies do.

It was also handy if you needed to nip off for a minute like to the loo or if the doorbell rang, as it meant you didn't need to pick up baby and take him with you. I also put it out in a shady spot in the garden during the summer months so baby got plenty of fresh air.

Hope labour goes well for Mam and baby, and hope you enjoy your new family :)
    Here I go again on my own....
  • astonsmummy
    astonsmummy Posts: 14,219 Forumite
    Options
    standard monitors r quite good, and in 2 years i've only ever had a crossed line 2 or 3 times (wen i lived in a block of flats).

In my opinion the vibrating bouncer chair is a waste of money (so i've been advised by friends), as sometimes for some babys it can be a struggle getting them to sleep without the vibrations.

Once the baby has gathered that day isnt night and night isnt day! Try putting the baby down awake so he/she will learn to fall asleep on their own.
    DS still has a bottle to go sleep with at 2! grrrr

But at the end of the day wen ur baby actually gets here things will be alot different and u just do things how you see best at the time, After all mother (and father) knows best.
    :j Baby boy Number 2, arrived 12th April 2009!:j
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wouldnt bother with the nappy wrapper,my sister has one but didnt use it much ! waste of money

as for monitors you cant go wrong with a tomy IMO,we had the walkabout aswell :)

good luck with the new arrival :)
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chriswil wrote:
    I don't know what you mean - we are going to have the perfect baby, 7pm until 8am every night :doh: :rotfl:

Thanks for the advice over the nappy wrapping thingy. I suppose it comes down to your laziness, walk and put it in bin, cost negligable, or store it nearby, cost a lot more.

200 frangranced bags it is I think...

Actually you'll do a lot more walking withthe nappy wrapper, as you'll have to take the baby to the wrapper each time you want to change them.

You'll need bags anyhow for when you're out and about.

Good luck.
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • Tootsie_Roll
    Tootsie_Roll Posts: 733 Forumite
    Options
    Becles wrote:
    I never bothered with a baby monitor. I used to keep baby in a travel cot downstairs during the day, partly so I could hear when they woke up. On a night they slept in their own cot in their own bedroom, but I left the landing doors open and heard them fine when they woke up crying.

Firstly - Congratulations, it truly is a magical time. Part of me is jealous that you are going to experience something so wonderful and part of me pities you for the sleep deprivation you are about to experience !!!

Anyway with 4 kids never used a baby monitor, just think they are a waste of money, leave the door open.

Scented nappy bags are the way to go.

Good luck !
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    Agree nappy wrapper is a waste of time - we kept accidentally throwing out the restraining ring at the top which you can't buy separately, and the nappies still smelt. Best solution we found was to tip any solids out of the nappy down the loo, then put nappy in nappy sack and into a bin with a lid. That smelt much better than the nappy wrapper.

We bought a baby alarm but hardly ever used it. We live in a 3 storey, victorian house with thick walls and could hear both of our two from anywhere in the house if they were crying without an alarm. If they're not crying, leave them in peace, and you will find they are soon sleeping through the night.

Good luck with your new little one.
  • AnnieH
    AnnieH Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Options
    I have never had or felt the need for a nappy wrapper for any of my 3 kids.

A monitor should be able to take batteries AND run from the mains. My one at the moment only takes batteries on the receiver which means we can't use it camping as the transmitter part only runs from mains.
  • chmaiden
    chmaiden Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    got a BT monitor which is fantastic - had a Tomy one from argos which was pants. have combined it with the sensors that you put under the matress to sense that jnr is still breathing - good for peace of mind but not cheap
    cymru am byth! lick up the reggae!
  • EasilyAggravated
    Options
    standard monitors r quite good, and in 2 years i've only ever had a crossed line 2 or 3 times (wen i lived in a block of flats).

In my opinion the vibrating bouncer chair is a waste of money (so i've been advised by friends), as sometimes for some babys it can be a struggle getting them to sleep without the vibrations.

Once the baby has gathered that day isnt night and night isnt day! Try putting the baby down awake so he/she will learn to fall asleep on their own.
    DS still has a bottle to go sleep with at 2! grrrr

But at the end of the day wen ur baby actually gets here things will be alot different and u just do things how you see best at the time, After all mother (and father) knows best.

we never had any problems, because my son took after me with height and weight, it was only of some use for 4 months then he got too big for it. he never had any problems with just going to sleep in his cot. but i suppose its like many other things, its all about personal preference.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When I did use disposables just used nappy bags, think they are £1 for 200 in the local pound shops, I still use them for doggy doo (cheaper than the pedigree ones)

Monitor, Tomy ones are really good, as long as they cover the range you need, no point paying any more IMO. I would however invest in a cheap CCTV camera, come in handy when they are older too
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure