howdens "lamona" appliances question - any good?

Options

Comments

• hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    We fitted a Howden's Kitchen about nine months ago, using a local builder, and my neighbour to fit.

I was very impressed with the service from Howdens, who came out and did the drawings and my neighbour obviously used his trade account to purchase the goods.

I opted for the Glendevon Cream Gloss and bought my appliances from ao.com (Beko Integrated Fridge Freezer/Zanussi five ring induction hob/ stainless steel/glass cooker hood/ Zanussi Dishwasher and Zanussi double oven for £1600 all in, and seem to remember I got some cashback on that too.

I didnt want to spend £14K on a kitchen and have "Lamona" appliances, so it was a brand thing for me :) Equally the budget didnt run to top end brands. Delighted with the finished effect.
  • kwatt
    kwatt Posts: 711 Forumite
    Options
    I can.

Bosch are a German company of course but little is actually made there and, like all, they play the cost cutting game as all do so as to remain competitive.

They make products in former Soviet block countries, Spain, the USA, China and I believe Turkey now as well (the same as Beko).... there is no guarantee that two different products, such as a hob and an oven were even made on the same continent let alone country never mind actual production facility.

And, from what you said yourself, you can pay more for *exactly* the same internals under Neff or Siemens as you'd get for less with a Bosch badge on it.

The joys of globalisation.

K.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. Its what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
  • rockandglitter
    Options
    krulis wrote: »
    We have moved in to a newly refurbished property where a Lamona Ceramic Hob has been newly installed. After the first use you could see stains on the hob where water drops touched the ceramic surface which could not be washed away.

I have to say that we were very careful when using it. It has been three weeks since we have been using the hob and despite our best efforts to keep it tidy the hob looks as if it has been used for a year.

If I had to rate the hob I would give it 2 out of 10. It is not 1 out of 10 just because you actually can prepare a meal on it. I do not expect it to last long though.

I would say the same thing with the Lamona hob. I'm extremely careful with mine and I still have a stain on a ring I just can't get off. I'd never had that problem previously!
  • rockandglitter
    Options
    Reading this is all really interesting for me. I have a Lamona touch ceramic hob in my kitchen and one of the rings has started to rub off which I was told can "never happen" and they won't do anything with it - I've tried cleaning it myself as I am always careful with it. Not overly happy as I've never had this happen in my previous kitchen :(
  • Berriew
    Options
    Lamona products
    NO NO NO
    But what is more important is that once your guarantee has expired, you are unable to use your statutory rights directly with Howdens because you have purchased from your installer and not Howdens (Very tricky behaviour). You can take your installer to court but he will have to take Howdens to court if they demur. Maybe you can "Join" them in a court action but it all gets very messy. I have found Howdens kitchens OK but don't buy the LAMONA range and seriously consider buying the electrical goods elsewhere.
  • RobbyJ
    RobbyJ Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Any consesus on this? We have had a recent house fire started by a BEKO fridge freezer bursting into flames. The insurance is using Howdens to give us a new kitchen. I'm not very keen on buying Lamona if they are BEKO. Many of the entry level appliances from "quality" brands are badge engineered by BEKO
  • Chief_Marc
    Options
    I would never buy a lamona appliance again I have a kitchen sink that has such a bouncy draining board it's a joke! I have an oven which I have been told firstly by an engineer to not cook at the top and now another engineer tells me not to cook at bottom . I was in my 28 days when I complained but Howdens won't do anything. Never ever will I buy Lamona again !!!!
  • mariecc_2
    mariecc_2 Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    I have just got a quote from howdens and nearly fell off the chairs when I saw the price of oven, hob, and extractor.. £250.. I thought itwas a beko... and this thread hasconfirmed that.... but at that price can't be good...or reliable... will look on which, john lewis and currys I think
    also couldn't look at door he quoted on as customer in way but its a greenwich gls

anyone got any info on them..
  • Runatmirth
    Options
    Hi we have recently had a Howdens kitchen supplied and would say do not touch the Lamona brand. We are having endless issues with the dishwasher that was supplied. Problems started a week after installation was finished. Howdens blame the fitter the fitter blames Howdens. All I know is that the dishwasher is leaking from underneath with water gushing out and pooling on the floor and steam is escaping from the top which has damaged the worktop above. The service number I was given doesn't work so each time I follow up I have to contact the Howdens branch directly for them to touch base with the engineer. Still an ongoing issue now.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I will speak in defence of Lamona appliances based upon my experience. The house I bought in 2012 has Lamona appliances throughout which were fitted in 2010:

Washing machine: still going strong despite being used 6 times a week (8 years) in a hard water area.
    Dishwasher: broke in 2015, so lasted five years being used daily.
    Tumble dryer: still going strong (8 years)
    Range cooker: replaced this year after the grill stopped working, the thermostat played up and the fan seized (8 years)
    Cooker hood: still going strong (8 years)
    Integrated fridge: still fine after 8 years but needed a new door hinge last year
    Integrated fridge-freezer: ditto.

They may not be the best quality appliances I've owned and are fairly basic in functionality but considering their lifespan in a house where they are used a lot, they've done well. I've been pleasantly surprised because when I moved in and discovered they were all Lamona and two years old, I expected to have to replace them all long before now.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback