howdens "lamona" appliances question - any good?

Options

Comments

• chris201411
    Options
    i have had several lamona appliances, and so have some of my friends and they have been reliable. there is always a horror story with any electrical goods or items like that, not many people will jump online to praise a product but many will slate them.

i had a slight problem with my oven but the helpline had an engineer out within days and fixed no worries, most companies offer extra cover on ovens etc, or extended warranty so thats nothing new.

all in good stuff
  • Lima
    Lima Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    We had lamina appliances i our previous kitchen - chosen by us. I would recommend avoiding them at all costs:

The fridge freezer: the fridge did not keeps things cold enough, milk went off very quickly as a result. It then started making loud noises all within 3 years of purchase and fitting

Around 2 hearts the dishwasher started to fail, the basket which holds the cups etc broke, it did not clean properly.

We also had one of their range cookers with the double oven, the door would not close properly and we called out a hoydens engineer who advised that was how they were made, did not retain the heat and was not good for baking cakes evenly etc....
  • Birdynumnum
    Options
    The following details my experience of buying from Howdens as well as my opinion on Lamona products, hope that’s ok.

I've just bought a Howdens kitchen ( currently sitting in my dining room awaiting fitting next week ) I have to say the experience of buying from Howdens was universally positive. I had to create a trade account but other than that they were very professional and friendly at every point of engagement.

They came to my house and measured up and shortly thereafter provided a kitchen plan which I liked very much, I received a follow up call to ask if the design was ok. They said the price was £3500 including appliances, I had a fitter who was going to fit for £500. I then went to Wickes and requested a similar kitchen plan, they too came and measured and provided a plan.

The customer service from Wickes was decidedly shall we say relaxed. The kitchen plan was not emailed on time, I got it two days later, there was no follow up call to ask if I liked it and the design was not as good as the one from Howdens. The price was very good £1300 for the kitchen not including appliances, the quote for fitting £1800 was laughable.

The Wickes kitchen was flat packed, the Howdens was assembled carcasses so IMO better chance of not falling apart. So to compare Wickes kitchen £1300 without appliances which I’d found for £400 Bosch at Curry’s. 2 days to assemble so approx £200 assembly costs so total comparable cost £1900. I took the quote into Howdens and asked what they could do on price, the salesperson went to talk to “the manager” and came back with £2900, I said I liked the kitchen and would like to buy from them but not at this price, another chat with “the manager” and we’re down to £2578. I then said we are close but not there, I was told that is their best price at which point I got up to leave. The sales person then said how much will you pay I’ll speak to “the manager” again, I said £2500 and she returned saying yes I can have the kitchen for that price.

So for £600 more than the Wickes price I got the kitchen I wanted, it was delivered 2 days later. I was dubious about Lamona appliances as I’d never heard of them but when I asked the total cost of the electric fan oven, extractor hood & venting & gas hob I was told £200, the comparable Bosch one from them was £640, quite frankly at that price I’m prepared to take my chances. Ovens are not hugely complicated appliances, they have a heater and a fan element, this one is basic so less to go wrong. The gas hob is even simpler.

Key point for me is this, I have found that appliances from big name manufacturers are simply not of anything like the quality they used to be. I had a kitchen with Neff appliances fitted in 1994 and the appliances are still working ( sold house but know new owners ) I don’t think there’s an appliance on the planet that would last 20 years now. Similarly I gave my 10 year old Miele vacuum away to a friend and bought a new one, the build quality is notably flimsier, everything is constructed to fail and the cost of repair is prohibitive, the cost of replacement so cheap that I am happy to consider them disposable items. The kitchen has a guarantee and as I am the purchaser I can deal directly with any problems arising, it’s being fitted next week I will update if I have any issues.
  • Gingerpop
    Options
    I purchased a howdens kitchen and got a Lamona built-in microwave, and electric cooker as well as a gas hob. A waste of money. The microwave lasted just over two years, the cooker under three years. Awful. The only reason I bought them was I didn't intend to stay in this property long term - serves me right for being a cheapskate! Back to good old Bosch. The gas hob is still working.

Wouldn't bother with a howdens kitchen again. The wooden worktop marks and stains really badly. The sink tap started leaking after about a year and the staff were really unhelpful when I contacted them about this. There are just two people using this kitchen, so it hasn't had particularly rough or tough usage!
  • Fifitrix17
    Options
    I too have very recently had a Howdens kitchen installed. The kitchen itself is beautiful and was expertly fitted. My only gripe is the Lamona oven as it's not the best I've ever had and it's a bit slow compared to my previous oven (Zanussi). I need to allow the Lamona extra time to ensure food is cooked through. The service from Howdens was OK and the quality of the units is superb but all in all it was a very expensive venture!
  • Penelope2014
    Options
    Well after 2 years my lamona appliances are dropping to bits. The washing machine had a cracked chassis which the washing machine repair man had never seen before and now to top it all the wine cooler is broke. I will never buy from them again.
  • Simm333
    Options
    What can I say? Initially we had chosen a Wickes kitchen, but were recommended Howdens by a colleague. Assuming Howdens to be 'high quality' we decided to give them a try. What a mistake - over priced and substantial quality. The kitchen units themselves are not particularly impressive, but that's for another review. My main gripe was the Lamona Fridge and freezer that was supplied. We actually requested Bosch equivalents, and were told that these were similar quality. I have since discovered that Lamona is in fact re-badged Beko! - a make I would never buy in a million years.

The quality is very poor, and I mean poor. In the 4 1/2 years the kitchen has been installed, the fridge bottle rack has broken no less than 6 times. It is clear that the design has a weak point, but this fell on deaf ears.....
    The freezer is just as bad. All three freezer drawers have snapped (the plastic is so thin), and two of the drawer fronts have cracked. I could perhaps understand this in a busy household, but there are only two adults here.....

A big big mistake. Do yourself a favour and go elsewhere
  • kwatt
    kwatt Posts: 711 Forumite
    Options
    To be blunt...

In that sector of the market, Lamona, CDA, Electrolux Group, Bosch, Whirlpool... etc.

It matters not a jot for the most part, there's little difference in many ways.

They're all equally as bad as one another in one way or another. Made to fit a price point, pretty much, that's it in a nutshell.

If they last, you win. If they don't, you lose.

K.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. Its what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
  • Watch-Hound
    Options
    Lamona appliances are junk and a waste of money, as far as I know they are made for Howdens by Beko in Turkey.

I just chucked my 18 month old Lamona oven and replaced it with an inexpensive Indesit and they are a world apart, the Lamona just wasn't fit for purpose.

As for Howdens avoid, avoid ,avoid!!! They won't sell direct to the public so you have to use a builder who has an account with them and I suspect backhanders are commonplace. In my case the kitchen was fitted by a cowboy and most of it had to be refitted, the workmanship was so bad. I tried to contact Howdens head office but try finding a contact telephone number for them! And no point going back to Howdens to complain about the Lamona oven anyway, they would say my contract was with the (cowboy) builder.

I remember the dreadful reputation MFI had 30 years ago, if I had realized this was the same company I wouldn't have gone near them with a bargepole.
  • lackingwedge
    Options
    kwatt wrote: »
    To be blunt...

In that sector of the market, Lamona, CDA, Electrolux Group, Bosch, Whirlpool... etc.

It matters not a jot for the most part, there's little difference in many ways.

They're all equally as bad as one another in one way or another. Made to fit a price point, pretty much, that's it in a nutshell.

If they last, you win. If they don't, you lose.

K.

Dude, you cannot compare Bosch and Lamona.

Bosch white goods are Identical to Siemens and Neff and are made by the same company in the same factory (BSH).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback