Corona007's random ramblings

Options

Comments

• Lula-Hula
    Lula-Hula Posts: 7,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Corona007 wrote: »

Like the Zorro idea. Perhaps you could nick my computer whilst at it. I could do with a shiny new laptop ....

Me too, will leave my keys under the flower pot ;)

Hmmmm it appears that I have previously had one of these 'social life' things ... :whistle:
  • Corona007
    Corona007 Posts: 146 Forumite
    edited 6 February 2010 at 2:24PM
    Options
    Hi Lula. I very definitely have had one of those in the past and sadly this week I have not been a very good MSEer either. I fell off the wagon a bit and bought tickets to the England v Egypt match next month, a season pass on iTunes for Lost Season 6 and a couple of bottles of nice red wine. In my defence, I don't have sky/cable at home since I don't watch much telly and Lost is about the only American show I have found that is worth watching so it is a one off.

I also had a minor moment of panic last night when my bank's fraud department phoned me up. Queue nightmare thoughts that my card had been cloned, my account had less money in it than an Icelandic bank and that I would be forced to live on the contents of my kitchen bin for the rest of the month. But it turns out to have been a routine call asking whether all the recent payments to my credit cards were genuine. Guess my bank manager just couldn't believe I was not only making minimum payments anymore :rotfl:

Anyway, I aim to get back on track and to help I have finally received the money from selling some shares last month. They were in an American company that were doing well but I took a calculated gamble and sold them which was a good job as the share price has since fallen $10 a share! It has taken almost 4 weeks for the funds to come through but £1,610 was cleared into my account yesterday. Most of that is going towards the evil Halifax card on Monday and then I just need to get through the rest of the week without haemorrhaging cash :o
    Got my head out of the sand - 01/01/2010
    Total debts to clear - [STRIKE]£18,886[/STRIKE] now £14,878
    10k in 2010 challenge - £2,011
    11k in 2011 challenge - £1,997
  • Lula-Hula
    Options
    Hey Corona,

Jolly well done on those shares :T

As to having a bad MSE week ... well it happens to us all now & then, no point getting all tangled up about it, I've made zero payments this week as I've had to pay the electricity bill & there's also the small issue of some rather pretty & superbly spacious wine glasses :shhh:

I am rather cross about Lost as I was very entranced with it until Rupert Murdoch threw his toys out of the pram & said that Richard Branson couldnt have sky 1 anymore :mad:. I fell behind & although we now have sky 1 back I'm very confused as to what's going on so have given up watching it.

I dont wish to appear all naggy ... but ... ahem; coins ?? :D
  • Corona007
    Options
    I'm still struggling with this not spending money malarky. No matter how hard I try at the moment I just keep finding myself spending. I think it is because I avoided going to the supermarket at the weekend and so I have literally nothing in my kitchen to eat or drink (other than contents of the bin). Sadly it gives me a great excuse to pick up a bottle of wine or a pizza on the way home.

It doesn't help that I am going through hell at the moment pursuing my previous landlord who owes me almost 2 grand (long, long story...). As it stands I am less than one week away from this going to court and the whole thing is making me tear my hair out in frustration. Maybe I need to add the cost of a wig to my legal costs :)

I've been out on the jolly the last few nights but amazingly have spent nothing both times. This might have something to do with the fact that I keep inviting the Partners at work out to join us knowing full well they will pay for all the drinks. Don't know if that makes me very MSE or just a cheapskate :rotfl:

Oh and I've paid £40 of shrapnel into my account. Not sure how long it will be before I can face paying in the rest though.
  • Lula-Hula
    Options
    Hi Corona,

ooh sorry to hear about loathsome landlord, wish you lots of luck & determination with that one.

Love the idea of inviting business partners out so they can pay :rotfl: - will add that brilliant slice of cunning to my 'sneaky ways to have drinks & fun on the cheap' repertoire immediately :T

My lack of spending in January even amazed me ... I seem to have made up for it now though :o. I still manage to achieve 15 NSDs a month - it's just that the inbetween days are Very Spend Days.

Well done on paying 40 squidlets into your account :A that's a few bottles of wine you have there :D

Good luck with evil landlord

Lula
  • Corona007
    Options
    Hi Lula thanks for the positive vibes - I'm going to need them if today's revelations have anything to go by. Turns out the £2k I'm owed could turn in to compensation for closer to £10k but to take the case forward I would need to appoint a solicitor and risk thousands of pounds in legal fees should I lose. Need a serious think over the weekend as to what to do on this one.

Well done on the NSDs. If I managed half that many I'd be a rich man.

At least I paid £1,000 to the evil Halifax card last night. I hope to pay off more at the end of the month but at the moment I'm holding £600 back to cover any legal costs I have coming up in the next few weeks :(
  • Lula-Hula
    Options
    Great news on the Halifax pay off, well done :j

As to my NSDs - you'd only be rich if you didnt compensate by overspending on the other days ... ;)

Tough call on the landlord issue :( wish I could offer some useful advice, but I guess it's matter of weighing up the pros & cons :think:

Have you been offered any insight into your chances of success ?

Does the principle of the matter outweigh financial retribution or concerns ?

Can you appeal if the decision doesnt go in your favour ?

Gather all information before making a decision & there is wealth of useful stuff & people & their experiences & expertise on the other boards as well as here.

Most of all - it's saturday so there are lie ins & bacon sarnies to be had & rugby to be watched ... enjoy & Good Luck :D
  • Corona007
    Options
    Evening all.

Had quite a cheap weekend in the end even though I went out for dinner and drinks last night in London. Finally went to the supermarket so I have some food in the house for next week too. Not that it will stop me buying wine on the way home from work but it is a start :D

Regarding the landlord shenanigans, the quick summary is that he wont pay my deposit back from my previous flat (almost £2k :eek: ). Turns out now that he has also not protected it in one of the government schemes and so has broken the law. I can either now sue him in small claims for the £2k he owes or file a civil suit for non compliance which would for substantially more but will cost me serious cash in legal fees and could take 6 months in court. Need to think carefully about how much I despise him and how much vengeance to bring upon him. :think:

Anyway, some quick maths tells me we are halfway through Feb and I'm more than halfway through my budget. I think the phrase rhymes with "cluck".
  • found_a_bargin
    Options
    Corona007 wrote: »
    Evening all.

Had quite a cheap weekend in the end even though I went out for dinner and drinks last night in London. Finally went to the supermarket so I have some food in the house for next week too. Not that it will stop me buying wine on the way home from work but it is a start :D

Regarding the landlord shenanigans, the quick summary is that he wont pay my deposit back from my previous flat (almost £2k :eek: ). Turns out now that he has also not protected it in one of the government schemes and so has broken the law. I can either now sue him in small claims for the £2k he owes or file a civil suit for non compliance which would for substantially more but will cost me serious cash in legal fees and could take 6 months in court. Need to think carefully about how much I despise him and how much vengeance to bring upon him. :think:

Anyway, some quick maths tells me we are halfway through Feb and I'm more than halfway through my budget. I think the phrase rhymes with "cluck".

Hope with what ever you do he will think twice before scewing a tenent again, we left our old flat 4 years ago and it was immaculate and we had even redecorated and he was happy with the colours and said dont need to repaint etc.. when we left he charged us for everything(the sofa that was split when we moved in and eventually split so bad we had to buy a new one) and for a new piece of carpet for the hall, as he put a very pale carpet as a entrance carpet from the outside?? some landlords:mad::mad:
  • Corona007
    Options
    Sadly I don't think this Landlord will ever learn his lesson. If he has to cough up my money he'll just try and screw it out of someone else.

I've rented places all over the UK and found over the years that Landlords are like women. There are good landlords out there but they are hard to find and if you do find yourself saddled with a bad one they usually cost you an awful lot of money :D.

I've got itchy feet and want to go travelling again. Work is quiet at the moment with not much need to leave London and when I get a free moment I find myself surfing travel sites daydreaming about being somewhere else. I've just been looking again.

Must behave myself. When I've finally paid this debt off I am going to treat myself to the best holiday ever conceived. And HBOS can go and fornicate with themselves if they think I am paying for it using their plastic.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business