PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

proud and less proud old style moment

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I am proud that I cook almost everything from scratch.
    I am less proud that recently I have had fairly frequent takeaways and meals out (but from tomorrow this is going to be a thing of the past).

I am proud that I do not own a car.
    I am less proud that sometimes I catch a bus even for a couple of stops instead of walking.

I am proud that I recycle as much as I can.
    I am less proud that I am still buying stuff that has a lot of packaging, even if this gets recycled

Ah, I could go on...
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Sosh
    Sosh Posts: 175 Forumite
    I'm proud that I have halved my grocery bills

I'm proud that I do most of me cooking from scratch.

I'm proud that my family have started growing our own fruit and veg.
    I'm less proud that so far that has cost more than buying from the shops.

I'm less proud that my house is full of sales "bargins"

I'm less proud of my "housework"
    Thanks to all the lovely people on here I have managed to cut my hours down to 2 days a week, allowing me to spend more time with my gorgeous Children. :j
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I am proud that I have got my life back together after going through cancer and a mastectomy

I am not so proud that I can't excercise as much as I used to

I am pround of my seven beautiful grandchildren whom I adore.

I am not so proud that I havn't made more of an effort to see my brother who lives in France
    I am proud that I have cut back on unecessery food shopping and cut my weekly bills to under £30.00 a week
    I am not so pround that I spent of £50.00 a week on them in the first place and wasted money on shopping on 'auto-pilot'
    I am proud that I am halfway through my second year at Uni
    I am not so proud that I put off doing my essays until the last minute with the excuse that I have loads of time and I know I could have done them sooner
  • trixietoes
    trixietoes Posts: 676 Forumite
    I am proud that I cook 99% of our meals from scratch.
    I am not so proud that I keep falling off the diet waggon

I am proud that I have reduced our food budget - still more work this year though.
    I am not so proud that I have let my meal planning and flylady go to ground

I am proud that I have started sewing and knitting and that they have been good enough for gifts for people.

I am proud that I found work in a non English speaking country.
    I am not so proud that I haven't made a proper effort to learn the language of my current home country

I am proud that I have mastered the art of Yorkshire pudding and bread making.
    I am not so proud that pastry making is still eluding me.

I am proud that I have passed my 1st year of Open University, 20 years after leaving school.
    "People buy things they don't need, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like" - Clive Hamilton on Consumerism.
  • Gastrohound
    Gastrohound Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 6 January 2010 at 7:22PM
    This is an inspirational thread! Thank you!

I am proud that I cook from scratch and do not use any services or bought detergents to help run my house.

I am less proud of hidden clutter - but proud I am ebaying like mad this year.

I am proud to have the guts to admit I am unable to tackle everything and take advice from sites such as this and flylady.

I am less proud I am so disorganised and such a gold medal procrastinator!

I am proud to be dealing with my debts, I am less proud that they keep going up as my earning is going down - i am doing everything - but the debt mountain is still great. I am proud to have acknowledged it for the last few years and do everything towards it. Not too long now I hope.

I am proud that I find happy times all over the place, and do not need money to find them (EG - 4.5 hours in the snow this afternoon, such FUN).

I am very proud of my husband, our marriage and our strength.

I am less proud of the financial burden my side of the marriage brings - but that will be sorted with time.

I am proud to have the family and friends I have and to have made many of their gifts this year. (bracelets, jams, shortbread, jelly, chocolates, bunting).

I am proud to be able to be thrifty and not feel guilty about it!

Best wishes all.
    Always ASK for £2 coins and then vow to save them straight away ;)
  • susiejq
    susiejq Posts: 154 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    I am proud to be careful and shrewd with money,
    But less proud of the fact that we save pennies and then spend pounds, mainly on doing up our house.

I am proud of the fact that I grow many of our vegetables, salad and fruit,
    But less proud that some of it was not eaten in time and went to seed or rotted.

I am proud of the fact that I cook most things from scratch,
    But less proud that I don't cook a wider range of recipes.

I am proud of the money that I have saved in our ISAS and the overpayments on our mortgage,
    But less proud that sometimes I don't live for the moment as I am too busy saving for the future.

I am proud of my husband and lovely daughter,
    But less proud that I don't tell them often enough how special they are.
    Nothing is truly lost until your mum can't find it!
  • mancbird
    mancbird Posts: 503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Oh I love this thread, makes you see just how far we have all come! :j:j:j

I am proud of the fact that we made the decision to move to our new house in the country :j

I am less proud that we still have long commutes to our jobs and spend a ridiculous amount of money on petrol :(

I am proud that we have adapted to a much simpler life and I haven't missed having shops and a pub right on my doorstep :j

I am less proud of the fact that I am doing more online shopping instead!!! :cool:

I am proud that we grew lots of veggies last year and plan to grow a lot more this year :j

I am less proud that some of my veggies died :rolleyes:

I am proud that we are spending a lot less money on our food shopping and that we are buying whoopsie food and freezing it :beer:
    I am proud that we have built up a good store cupboard, which has come in VERY useful whilst I have been sick and during this awful weather :T

I am less proud that there are still lots of hig-fat treats in the store cupboard after Christmas! :mad:

I am proud that I am starting to earn how to cook properly :)

I am less proud that I still sometimes make things that are inedible :o

I am proud that I have stopped buying loads of household cleaners and now use stardrops, soda crystals and bleach :A

I am less proud of the fact that I now have a stardrops obsession and have a stockpile of the stuff under the sink :rotfl:

I am proud that I am very crafty and made all my own Christmas cards this year :T

I am proud of the fact that I taught myself to crochet (bit of a theme going on in this thread!) and am halfway through making a throw for my sofa. I also made a cute star garland to decorate my bookcase at Christmas :j

I am less proud of all the money I spend on crafty goodies (and the fact that my craft room is bulging at the seams) :o

I think we all deserve a :beer: We should be proud of all of our achievements and not worry so much about the things we don't do quite as well!
    Mammy to 2 boys aged 5 and 2
  • I am so amazed at how hard you all work for your goals! You are all truly inspirational.

This thread has really made me pick myself up to do more this year :)
  • moonbabe58
    moonbabe58 Posts: 526 Forumite
    I am proud that I am sticking to meal planning.
    I am not proud that I am still managing to miss things off my shopping list.

I am proud that I am making most meals from scratch and batch cooking.
    I am not so proud of the occasions I still really want a takeaway curry even though I have HM curry in the freezer.

I am proud that I have rediscovered my love of baking.
    I am not proud of the fact that my kitchen is still covered in flour and dirty mixing bowls for days after baking.

I am proud that I take HM lunches into work.
    I am not proud that I often think food from the cafe would be alot nicer.

I am proud of the fact that I am now a home-owner.
    I am not so proud that I had to borrow alot of money from my parents to make this possible.

I am proud of my OH for his patience with me and for understanding why I shout at him when he throws away chicken carcases!
    I am not proud that I didnt start doing this years ago instead of wasting so much money!

I am proud that my house is starting to look like the home I imagined.
    I am not proud of the little DIY jobs and housework that I keep leaving for 'another day'.
    Expecting Baby No 1 - 20/06/14 - Team Yellow!
  • KarrieBee
    KarrieBee Posts: 213 Forumite
    Great thread OP! it is good to take stock sometimes.

I'm proud that we don't own a car even though we live out in the country
    I'm less proud that I think we will have to give in and get one in order to make certain other OS dreams like an allotment possible

I'm proud that I've taught myself to crochet and revisited knitting
    I'm less proud that sometimes when I get in from work I can't be bothered crafting and watch rubbish on the TV instead!

I'm proud that I'm supporting my avid reading habit through charity shops and libraries
    I'm less proud that I sometimes end up with library fines because I am disorganised!

I'm proud of my menu planning and cooking from scratch
    I'm less proud of the extra half stone I have been carrying forever due to my fondness for baking

I'm proud of the fact OH and I are living off his salary and saving mine so when we have little Bees I will be able to be a SAHM if I want to and that we now have a house deposit saved
    I'm less proud of the fact I long for the exotic travel adventures which are part of many of my friends lives right now - the green eyed monster is not a good look!

Thanks to all the others who posted and the inspiration you provided!
    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure