We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Are You Doing 10:10? If So, What?

Options
The 10:10 campaign is about ways for us all to reduce our carbon emissions by 10% in 2010. (I may have fudged the definition a bit, please correct me if so.) Have you heard of it, are you doing it, if so what are you doing?

I think it's an aim that fits very well with the Old Style mindset if you look at the options and possibilities. E.g I'm aiming to make every other big 'shop' vegan (cheap and healthy, at least it can be), and to make all clothes purchases this year second-hand except for knickers and socks.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Beki
    Beki Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    i was in the hospital visiting nan a couple of days ago and they've got a poster up saying "we're doing 10:10, are you?" but with no further info about it ???

i'm glad i found out what it is though, as i'm very interested in having a go! shame their poster did't give more info though as i hadn't heard of it til now! xx
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    edited 1 January 2010 at 5:57PM
    Options
    I have never heard of it but I will be cutting back because things are getting tighter and tighter
    The news is that the govenment is going to hike petrol prices by 15p - 20p a litre so that means everything will go up in price because of haulage costs

Personally I think that global warming is natural and that the politicians are seeing it as a good way of screwing us out of more taxes
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • monty100
    monty100 Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    You can find out about 10:10 by going to this website:
    http://www.1010uk.org

Also, the Guardian is supporting it with articles and ideas (today's G2 was all about it).
    Taking control, slowly.:rotfl: :rotfl:
  • Beki
    Beki Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    The news is that the govenment is going to hike petrol prices by 15p - 20p a litre so that means everything will go up in price because of haulage costs

:eek:

fabulous! now it's going to be touch and go whether we can afford for OH to get to work and back!!! i'm actually gobsmacked! :eek:
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Personally I think that global warming is natural

Most scientists (including this one) think differently :D

Whether you believe in man-made global warming or not, the fact is that we'll run out of fossil fuels eventually. Therefore, it's in all our interests to reduce our energy usage.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • sunflower76
    Options
    I think I'll porobably acheive a reduction. According to Act On Co2 I was at 15.62 tonnes per year when i updated it. After making changes to show our smaller car and less travel it shows at 14.8 tonnes per year.

This year we'll be holidaying in this country, I won't be driving for work, will be car sharing on a 50/50 basis and we're already actively looking to reduce our electricity consumption using an electricity meter. We've swapped to a smaller car and I'm buting far more clothes from the charity shop rather than buying new.

Some things Act on CO2 don't record such as what we eat (locally sourced mainly and often home grown) and whether you recycle. It also tells me to make impossible changes like adding cavity wall insulation which we can't do.
  • angeltreats
    angeltreats Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Beki wrote: »
    :eek:
    fabulous! now it's going to be touch and go whether we can afford for OH to get to work and back!!! i'm actually gobsmacked! :eek:

Given that I drive 300 miles a week for work, I won't be happy about this either. I drive an economical car but it's very heavy traffic and I spend a lot of time crawling forward and stop-starting which is bad for fuel economy.

A lot of things in the list just aren't going to happen in our house. Drive less? No chance, I spend two hours a day driving to and from work and wish I didn't have to but that's life. Can't insulate the walls or loft as we are renting (although hopefully we'll buy soon too). Turn the heating down/off? Again no chance, I'm so cold blooded my husband says I'm a reptile, and having managed to hold out till November, I've had the heating on full blast during my waking hours at home as well as about three layers of clothing, and my hands are still always cold.

We do try and always turn off lights/appliances we're not using and usually use a 30º wash cycle to save on electricity, and we have very little food waste, and we recycle everything that the council will pick up. And I definitely agree with item 6 in the list - I always try to buy good quality items that may cost more but will last for years as I just don't believe in false economy.
  • wigglebeena
    wigglebeena Posts: 1,988 Forumite
    Options
    Beki wrote: »
    i was in the hospital visiting nan a couple of days ago and they've got a poster up saying "we're doing 10:10, are you?" but with no further info about it ???

i'm glad i found out what it is though, as i'm very interested in having a go! shame their poster did't give more info though as i hadn't heard of it til now! xx

No, that's not really very helpful of them at all... just boasting really!
  • wigglebeena
    wigglebeena Posts: 1,988 Forumite
    Options

Some things Act on CO2 don't record such as what we eat (locally sourced mainly and often home grown) and whether you recycle. It also tells me to make impossible changes like adding cavity wall insulation which we can't do.

I'll be trying to locally source more food too, as well as have more vegan meals. That's something I've been a bit casual/carp at previously.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Don't know how much more we can reduce emissions! Already:

- we don't own a car
    - we do not fly
    - we eat mainly vegetarian, almost always vegan
    - we buy local, use farmers markets and organic veg boxes, we grow some of our own veg
    - we recycle to an inch of our lives
    - we cook from scratch
    - we try as far as possible to avoid buying things we don't need
    - we "make do and mend" in all areas of our lives.

The things we could do, frankly, are those that cost so much money that we just cannot afford, such as putting photovoltaic panels etc - but even if we could, we live in a conservation area and because our front roof is south facing we would never get planning permission.

Sometimes I feel that no matter how much we do we are being asked to do more. Occasionally I feel like just transgressing, having a long hot bath (instead of a meagre 3 minute shower), chuck away all the smelly compost in our kitchen, use an earth-killing (but properly-cleaning) detergent to clean our home, fly to the Caribbean (I need SUN AND SAND!)... I could go on and on and on....

Sometimes it just feels that no matter what we do it is still not enough and it is very frustrating seeing so many people just living as if nothing mattered and just not caring. Ok, end of rant, sorry....
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport