PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cook Something Different Challenge

Options

Comments

• Lizling
    Lizling Posts: 882 Forumite
    Options
    Today I made this butternut squash with tahini and za'atar recipe. http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/dec/16/roasted-squash-stuffed-quince-recipes

I think Mr Ottolenghi must be using a different type of tahini to me because mine is the texture of cold butter and not in the least bit whiskable. No problem though. It just went in the mini blender instead. Then again, that might have something to do with how mine's best before date is June 2013. :p

The tahini ended up a bit overpowering in my opinion, but can always just use less. Otherwise, really good!

It's more of a side dish than a meal, so I had it on top of spaghetti. Spaghetti with the tahini sauce was surprisingly not bad at all!
    Saving for deposit: Finished! :j
    House buying: Finished!
    Next task: Lots and lots of DIY
  • sams247
    sams247 Posts: 1,112 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Tonight I am going to make lemon curd for the first time ever, Very excited!
      To those who are given much, much is expected
    1. lilbert
      lilbert Posts: 641 Forumite
      Options
      making a thai green curry tomorrow with fish instead of usual chicken :P does that count?
    2. Lizling
      Options
      I made harira tonight. Lovely winter warmer. Veggistan cookbook again. I think I might be making that a lot for the next few months.
    3. kboss2010
      kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
      Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
      Options
      I'm using my freezer full of fish to make a fish pie for the first time tonight. It'll either be lovely or stink out my kitchen for nothing lol!
      “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
    4. Lizling
      Options
      This one doesn't sound great, but it actually was very nice! Mung bean casserole. I still had most of a bag of mung beans left from another recipe I needed them for, ages ago, so this used them up.

Apart from the beans, it had peppers, tomatoes, limes and spinach in it - and a scotch bonnet again. It was meant to have potatoes too, but I didn't have any and I don't really think it needed them. Another Veggiestan recipe.
    5. MandM90
      MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
      First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
      Options
      Last night I made BBC Good Foods slow braised pork in cider with parsnips. Fantastic! Usually don't make things with such gentle flavours, but this was a joy!
    6. Lizling
      Options
      I cooked something today from Plenty instead of Veggistan, for once. I went for the spiced red lentils with cucumber yoghurt because as Ottolenghi recipes go, it was very straightforward and I thought I had all the ingredients in.

It turned out far more delicious than spiced red lentils have any right to be and was so simple! You soak the lentils while you put an onion, chilli, garlic and coriander in a blender then fry it with mustard seeds (so far, so much like dal) then you tip in the lentils, soaking water and all, a tin of tomatoes and a few other common ingredients and that's it!

Very good OS dish as long as you've got access to very cheap fresh herbs, but it turns out that 50g of coriander is actually quite a lot - hence being wrong about having all the ingredients in already and having to go out in the rain after all.
    7. Lizling
      Options
      Ottolenghi's leek fritters, and I won't be making them again. WAY too much faff for what turned out no different at all from faff-free fritters.

I can't remember what I used to cook before I started doing this challenge now. A lot more pasta, I think.
    8. Lizling
      Options
      Tomato and semolina soup, from Plenty. Very simple to make, especially for an Ottolenghi recipe. It was nice enough, but nothing special. I do like the idea of using semolina to thicken soup though, so I feel like I've learnt something.
    Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
    • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
    • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
    • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
    • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
    • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
    • 173.2K Life & Family