MBNA Advise Needed

Options
Hi All,

I am needing some help in regards to reclaiming PPI from MBNA. I sent them a letter on 2nd November 2009, and I got a reply withing a few days later, saying that they will be investigating my claim and complaint and will get back to me within 28days.

Just before the 28days, I get another letter saying that the investigation is taking a little longer than expected and will contact me before 30th December.

What I want to know, is this normal or are they just at it and delaying?

Thanks

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    cpaterson3 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am needing some help in regards to reclaiming PPI from MBNA. I sent them a letter on 2nd November 2009, and I got a reply withing a few days later, saying that they will be investigating my claim and complaint and will get back to me within 28days.

Just before the 28days, I get another letter saying that the investigation is taking a little longer than expected and will contact me before 30th December.

Thanks

Hello and welcome.;)

They are entitled to 8 weeks in full, and if you have no result by then, you are then entitled to move on to the financial ombudsman service (FOS).

However, they may also have a backlog to deal with due to the high volumes of these complaints.

Hopefully you will hear a result very soon.

You can chase them up on this if you want to, and see what they have to say.

Good luck, look forward to hearing the outcome of this.:beer:
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • Newkid
    Newkid Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All,

Thanks

cpaterson3

It is normal they are just delaying , supposedly snowed under at the moment !!!!
    If you are able to it could be worthwhile phoning them & pushing a little , the number I have used is 0800 062 062 , in my experience they have been pretty human on the phone ( I guess thats because they owe you money & not the other way round ) , again in my experience it does help you feel a little more in control of your claim.

Good Luck

Newkid
  • oscar52
    oscar52 Posts: 2,272 Forumite
    Options
    Newkid wrote: »
    cpaterson3

It is normal they are just delaying not at all , supposedly snowed under at the moment !!!! Absolutley correct - I work there
    If you are able to it could be worthwhile phoning them & pushing a little , the number I have used is 0800 062 062 Why, this is customer services, not complaints / CAO , in my experience they have been pretty human on the phone ( I guess thats because they owe you money & not the other way round ) , again in my experience it does help you feel a little more in control of your claim. No it wont, they cant push you to the front of the queue to delay other peoples responses.

Good Luck

Newkid

As Di has stated, MBNA have eight weeks to respond. If you call them, it takes time away, when they could be potentially writing your response!

Wait for the eight weeks, most of the PPI cases seem to be getting settled in the customers favour.
    No Longer works for MBNA as of August 2010 - redundancy money will be nice though.

Proud to be a Friend of Niddy.
    no idea what my nerdnumber is - i am now officially nerd 229, no idea on my debt free date
  • cpaterson3
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies,much appreciated indeed! I shall wait until the New Year and see if they have responded.
  • Newkid
    Options
    Originally Posted by Newkid viewpost.gif
    cpaterson3

It is normal they are just delaying not at all , supposedly snowed under at the moment !!!! Absolutley correct - I work there
    If you are able to it could be worthwhile phoning them & pushing a little , the number I have used is 0800 062 062 Why, this is customer services, not complaints / CAO , in my experience they have been pretty human on the phone ( I guess thats because they owe you money & not the other way round ) , again in my experience it does help you feel a little more in control of your claim. No it wont, they cant push you to the front of the queue to delay other peoples responses.

Good Luck

Newkid
    oscar52 wrote: »
    As Di has stated, MBNA have eight weeks to respond. If you call them, it takes time away, when they could be potentially writing your response!

Wait for the eight weeks, most of the PPI cases seem to be getting settled in the customers favour.

oscar52
    All I have posted is my personal experiences with your employer - I could have been far more critical than I have.
    Any Company that Acts or moves slowly is deemed to be delaying - irrespective of demand- MBNA is delaying - FACT.
    The 0800 no. I have posted is the one I use each time & it gets me where I need to be - if you have another no. why on earth did you not post it on here - we could all use some constructive help !
    It does help you feel more in control of your claim - thats my experience & that of other posters too
    Never said it would push you to the front of the queue - never even thought it .
    As a result of changing Banks earlier this year I missed a DD payment to MBNA , in 5 days MBNA phoned 4 times & sent 4 letters - why dont they throw the same type of resources at paying out to customers ????
    If they did there would be no delay .

Seasons Greetings

Newkid
  • donotpassgo_2
    Options
    Newkid wrote: »
    Originally Posted by Newkid viewpost.gif
    cpaterson3

Good Luck

Newkid

oscar52
    All I have posted is my personal experiences with your employer - I could have been far more critical than I have.
    Any Company that Acts or moves slowly is deemed to be delaying - irrespective of demand- MBNA is delaying - FACT.
    The 0800 no. I have posted is the one I use each time & it gets me where I need to be - if you have another no. why on earth did you not post it on here - we could all use some constructive help !
    It does help you feel more in control of your claim - thats my experience & that of other posters too
    Never said it would push you to the front of the queue - never even thought it .
    As a result of changing Banks earlier this year I missed a DD payment to MBNA , in 5 days MBNA phoned 4 times & sent 4 letters - why dont they throw the same type of resources at paying out to customers ????
    If they did there would be no delay .

Seasons Greetings

Newkid

I too have phoned MBNA thanks to Newkids advice I had numbers on my replies from MBNA. Our claims were over 8weeks and I gave them a further 2 weeks after this I phoned. Firstly on my own behalf the chap was very helpful and said that I would be getting a refund, today I phoned on behalf of my husband spoke with a lady who put me hold for quite a while and tried to put me (I think because of the sum involved) anyway long and short of it is, they have offered £4700 + £172 for int I said I didnt think this was enough so they are sending out calculations.

So good luck
  • oscar52
    oscar52 Posts: 2,272 Forumite
    Options
    Fair points. Appreciate what you say about delaying, but you hve to consider this department deals with PPI complaints, Default fee complaints, interest complaints - everything, they are not deliberately delaying and are genuinely snowed under. Apologies if I inferred to people that you were mor important than others (or similar lines). If it would help pu your mind at rest, direct number for compliants is 0800 085 1409 - optio 0 to get out of menu.
    No Longer works for MBNA as of August 2010 - redundancy money will be nice though.

Proud to be a Friend of Niddy.
    no idea what my nerdnumber is - i am now officially nerd 229, no idea on my debt free date
  • Newkid
    Options
    oscar52 wrote: »
    Fair points. Appreciate what you say about delaying, but you hve to consider this department deals with PPI complaints, Default fee complaints, interest complaints - everything, they are not deliberately delaying and are genuinely snowed under. Apologies if I inferred to people that you were mor important than others (or similar lines). If it would help pu your mind at rest, direct number for compliants is 0800 085 1409 - optio 0 to get out of menu.

oscar52

The Seasons Greeting to you- enjoy your Christmas

Newkid
  • cpaterson3
    Options
    Hi All again,

I got a reply from MBNA and I am furious to say the least. This was their response:

I can confirm that your MBNA accvount was opened on 4th May 2007, and the insurance was applied on 11th May 2007 during a telephone conversation with one of our associates, in which you gave verbal authorisation. Following inception, a full set of terms and conditions were automatically issued, explaining the policy and providing a 30day cancellation process should the policy have not met your requirements.

I would like to apologise on behalf of MBNA if you found the sales person to be pushy.

A MBNA, we review all customer concerns on a casw by caswe basis. Having reviewed the details of your case, I do not feel that a refund is appropriate; this is due to the fact the insurance was applied after your account was opened and the credit decision completed.

That was their response I got yesterday. They basically told me that the insurance would help my credit rating etc, and I WAS pushed into taking it.

What should I do from here, call them? Any help would be fantastic.

Cheers,

Chris
  • marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    edited 29 December 2009 at 6:49PM
    Options
    Hi All again,

I got a reply from MBNA and I am furious to say the least. This was their response:

I can confirm that your MBNA accvount was opened on 4th May 2007, and the insurance was applied on 11th May 2007 during a telephone conversation with one of our associates, in which you gave verbal authorisation. Following inception, a full set of terms and conditions were automatically issued, explaining the policy and providing a 30day cancellation process should the policy have not met your requirements.

I would like to apologise on behalf of MBNA if you found the sales person to be pushy.

A MBNA, we review all customer concerns on a casw by caswe basis. Having reviewed the details of your case, I do not feel that a refund is appropriate; this is due to the fact the insurance was applied after your account was opened and the credit decision completed.

That was their response I got yesterday. They basically told me that the insurance would help my credit rating etc, and I WAS pushed into taking it.

What should I do from here, call them? Any help would be fantastic.

Cheers,

Chris
    Hi Chris, are you sure the insurance was added at the time of actually opening the account? What they are saying is that you called them and they added it then but if you think it was actually added at the application then you have a good case. Even if it was added later you still can ask for a copy of this phone call (they obviously have it as they are stating it in their letter) and you can then check for definate and it can still be missold then in some cases as there were rules that they had to follow since jan 2005.

You can do this by requesting a SAR from them. It cost you £10 and can take up to 40 days to arrive (its also all the information they hold on you - template letter here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1475553) but I would first ask them for proof of the phone call (Just see if they will send it out without the full SAR) and if they will then it should be quicker. If all else fails i would certainly write back and tell them to relook into this for you and if they do not uphold it you can then go to fos with the complaint.

Don't forget to send everything recorded delivery so you have proofs just incase FOS has to get involved.

Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport