MSE News: British Airways strike off, says court

13»

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    no-one is going to trust BA for a while with their holiday travel!

Yes, that is the problem they've now got. I've found some great BA flights for next year, but will wait until things have improved.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    ckerrd wrote: »
    So BA management need to work with their staff to achieve savings. Which they don't appear to have been doing

Yes they have. They've been trying to negotiate the new contracts with them for months. But the union simply doesn't want to accept that pay freezes/cuts and redunancies are now a necessity.

On average, Virgin pay their cabin crew half of the average earnings of a BA crew member! What more do they want??
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • Enough to make sure that they'll have a very happy Christmas while BA workers will suffer scorn from people travelling. Certainly, no-one is going to trust BA for a while with their holiday travel!

According to the official unite website the figure for Derek Simpson's 2007 salary + pension + other benefits was approaching £120k.

So I suspect Derek Simpson will indeed have a far better Christmas than the majority of BA staff.
    "One thing that is different, and has changed here, is the self-absorption, not just greed. Everybody is in a hurry now and there is a 'the rules don't apply to me' sort of thing." - Bill Bryson
  • Not bad money if you can get it, is it?

The overwhelming impression I get is that many of BA's staff assumed they'd be walking out for days here and there - not for 12 days over Christmas. Did they really think that BA staff could afford just towalk out of work for 12 days?!
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • dors01
    dors01 Posts: 59
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    euronorris wrote: »
    Yes they have. They've been trying to negotiate the new contracts with them for months. But the union simply doesn't want to accept that pay freezes/cuts and redunancies are now a necessity.

On average, Virgin pay their cabin crew half of the average earnings of a BA crew member! What more do they want??

Thats true about the money BA cabin crew earn but what I have noticed is that over a period of time if union workers continuously get better and better pay and benefits for the same or less work and the companies year after year keep it up while sales are falling and overheads are increasing ......all I will say is look at the US motor industry, as that started to fail it hit the rest of world very hard.
    And it was ALL because of union power, so yes they got great benefits for years but ended up with nothing.... think about it
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Erm, yes, I know.

My post wasn't agreeing with the union. It was against them.
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • vaporate
    vaporate Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    edited 20 December 2009 at 10:18PM
    As if the people who want the strike really gives a crap about what joe public thinks. They chose that time because thats where it will hurt the company the most.

Lastly, as if the 'court' has the power to stop any walk out. If the workers want it badly enough, they will walk out.

British laws are moronic anyway, take the case of a family man who had his family tied up by intruders in his home, yet got sent to prison because he caught one offender and gave him a royally deserved kicking.

Communist Britian more like. Democracy my tight !!!!. Nothing more than a label.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    vaporate wrote: »
    Lastly, as if the 'court' has the power to stop any walk out. If the workers want it badly enough, they will walk out.

Communist Britian more like. Democracy my tight !!!!. Nothing more than a label.

Trouble is, the workers will be sacked if they take part in un-official action and there are no shortage of people waiting to take their jobs, if this board is anything to go by. I remember Maggie going to Gdansk to celebrate the Solidarity victory, after years of Communist control. Yet it was her Government that was busy crippling Unions here !!
  • organic_choc
    organic_choc Posts: 140
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 22 December 2009 at 6:25AM
    My source at Heathrow was told that all BA internal flights are cancelled. Is it the weather or is it....? The staff won't rebook passengers to later flights. My source was told travel to Aberdeen by coach...?!?!!!
  • 06:35 BA1382 MANCHESTER CANCELLED Terminal five
    06:45 BA1432 EDINBURGH CANCELLED Terminal five
    06:55 BA1304 ABERDEEN CANCELLED Terminal five
    07:05 BA1472 GLASGOW CANCELLED Terminal five
    07:05 BA372 TOULOUSE CANCELLED Terminal five
    07:05 BA854 PRAGUE CANCELLED Terminal five
    07:25 BA1324 NEWCASTLE CANCELLED Terminal five
    07:35 BA564 MILAN-LINATE CANCELLED Terminal five
    07:45 BA1384 MANCHESTER CANCELLED Terminal five
    08:00 BA1434 EDINBURGH CANCELLED Terminal five
    08:30 BA1474 GLASGOW CANCELLED Terminal five
    08:40 BA430 AMSTERDAM CANCELLED Terminal five