Cheapest Hayfever Tablets Survey and Hunt

Comments

• cepheus
    cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
    In the main article it says
    Presciptions: Its often possible to get a prescription for hayfever tablets, then a three month supply will be £6.65.

Has anyone got this many? I can only get 30 Fexofenadine hydrochloride (telfast) on 1 prescription
  • If you have trouble getting your prescription from the GP then ask if is it possible to be part of the Repeat Prescribing scheme run by your local pharmacy. The GP can authorise up to 12 months supply of a regular medication for you to pick up each month at the pharmacy. great if you get free scripts and work during the week!
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My DD has loratadine on prescription and when I was filling it I asked Pharmacist how much for me to buy a pack of 30. It was about £2.30 so I bought 60. He told me to ask for dispensary packs as they were cheaper.

I live in Wales and prescriptions are only £3 per item but you only get one month supply. Next year prescriptions will be free, don't know if they will then give more than 1 month supply to reduce admin.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • pruney wrote:
    Hi
    I got my CETIRIZINE from Sainsburys pharmacy 1 box of 30 for £1.99. Not as cheap as online but cheaper than most of the high street stockists. Ask for it though as they didn't appear to keep it on the shelf.
    Cheers,
    Ayesha

I get Chlorphenamine Maleate from Sainsbury's - which look very much like piriton 30 for 1.99. There is a warning about drowsiness - but I have never been affected and drive normally. The recommended dose is 3 or 4 a day - but I never need more than 1 a day.

So I'm happy with that. A mortgage for 7 tablets !! I don't think so.

:rotfl:
  • fatheralice
    fatheralice Posts: 24 Forumite
    Has anyone got this many? I can only get 30 Fexofenadine hydrochloride (telfast) on 1 prescription

Entirely up to your prescriber - they can prescribe as many as they want. PCT guidelines may suggest 28 days, but the GP can do what they want - if the patient asks for more they might get lucky!
    I get Chlorphenamine Maleate from Sainsbury's - which look very much like piriton 30 for 1.99. There is a warning about drowsiness - but I have never been affected and drive normally. The recommended dose is 3 or 4 a day - but I never need more than 1 a day.

This is a completely different drug, with a completely different price, so not that relevent to the discussion. Drowsiness CAN be a major issue with it, but taken regularly it will become less of an issue. Also if you only take 1 per day, that is likely to be why you don't suffer from sedation (dose dependant). It is also likely to interact with other medication - more so than the non sedating ones.
    If you have trouble getting your prescription from the GP then ask if is it possible to be part of the Repeat Prescribing scheme run by your local pharmacy. The GP can authorise up to 12 months supply of a regular medication for you to pick up each month at the pharmacy. great if you get free scripts and work during the week!

True, but not much use with regard to the cost - still £6.65 per Rx, and from experience, anyone who gets free Rxs will not be buying thier a/histamines anyway - the point of the discusion was a cheaper source for buying them rather than the usual £4 for 7 prices the brands like to charge.
  • What are these people on?

Drugs? Am I supposed to be a mind reader??

Have you completed now

Best regards,
    Shamir Patel MRPharmS
    https://www.chemist-4-u.com
    North Meols Pharmacy Ltd,
    15 Church Road, Banks
    Southport. PR9 8ET.
    United Kingdom

Email: patels@totalise.co.uk
    Tel: (0044)(0)870 950 9666
    Fax: (0044)(0870 950 9666

********************************************************************************
    Confidentiality and legal notices:
    The information contained in this e-mail is for the intended recipient(s) alone. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by using the reply facility on your e-mail system. If this message is being transmitted over the Internet, be aware that it may be intercepted by third parties. Any views expressed in this message are those of the author and not necessarily of North Meols Pharmacy Ltd. The company reserves the right to perform legitimate monitoring of e-mails passed through its systems.
    Original Message
    To: orders@chemist-4-u.com
    Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 12:33 PM
    Subject: RE: https://www.chemist-4-u.com: Initial order notification #

What?

From: Site Administrator [mailto:chemist-4-u.com@hosts.co.uk] On Behalf Of orders@chemist-4-u.com
    Sent: 21 June 2006 11:26
    To: e
    Subject: https://www.chemist-4-u.com: Initial order notification #

You have received this notification from https://www.chemist-4-u.com because you are a registered user or you or some other registered user requested some information for you from our store.

Dear E,

Your order has been initiated. You need to finish transaction before the order is placed for processing.

Order details:

Order id: #
    Order date: 21-06-2006 11:26:06
    Order status: I

Thank you for using X-Cart shopping system
    https://www.chemist-4-u.com
    Phone: +44 (0)870 950 9666
    Fax: +44 (0)870 950 9666
    URL: https://www.chemist-4-u.com
    If you don't know what you are talking about keep quiet
  • Hi
    Asda does galparm tabs - both types - 99p per 7
  • urbanfrit
    urbanfrit Posts: 262 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    davemaxted wrote:
    You are correct in stating that there are 2 isomers of cetirizine, and that one is more active (levo = left); but blaming the other isomer for any side effects is pure conjecture! The introduction of isomers by the drug industry is mainly seen as a means of prolonging patent protection to keep prices high (particularly to our cash-strapped NHS). Any side effects are most likely to be caused by the active component itself.
    This applies equally to loratadine which has an expensive brand-only isomer called desloratidine (dextra = right). They are both likely to work as well as the the original preparations, but cost rather more!

Dave MRPharmS

I bow to your superior pharmacological knowledge with envy but I definitely suffer less drowsiness from levocetirizine than cetirizine.
    Also I feel that if I can halve the dose of ANY drug I need to take while maintaining its efficacy then I would prefer to do this.
    The fact that the drug companies release "dirty" drugs then announce a "cleaner" version when the patent is due stinks I agree.
    A greedy man's bag is never full
  • Sam_26
    Sam_26 Posts: 235 Organisation Representative
    urbanfrit wrote:
    I bow to your superior pharmacological knowledge with envy but I definitely suffer less drowsiness from levocetirizine than cetirizine.
    Also I feel that if I can halve the dose of ANY drug I need to take while maintaining its efficacy then I would prefer to do this.
    The fact that the drug companies release "dirty" drugs then announce a "cleaner" version when the patent is due stinks I agree.

Wow! What an explanation, but I second that!

SAM
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Chemist-4-u. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Sainsbury's have their own brand available at the pharmacy. The active ingredient is Cetirizine Dihydrochloride and are priced at £3.99 for 30.

If you ask the pharmacist for the tablets behind the dispenser, they are also Cetirizine and cost £3.01 for 30
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure