PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Black Saturn's evening meal planner

Options

Comments

• PumpkinPie_3
    Options
    This is a great help to me I am determined to use some of these ideas to get my budget down, I am in awe that you can do so much with so little.

Thank you
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • WELSH-DRAGON_2
    Options
    This is excellent BS well done - my idea of cooking is to open a packet and throw in the microwave so this has given me some inspiration. I have also copied and pasted your receipes into a word document - cheers !

Welshy x
    ;) I am the only Voucher Queen in my village LOL ;)
  • black-saturn
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Great, hope you like them. I'm working on a recipe for a fish bake at the moment. When I've perfected it I will share this one too.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • jaxxy00
    jaxxy00 Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Options
    just found this along with another thread. Great ideas here which i have copied into word documents to be tried later. Thanks.
  • black-saturn
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a new recipe to add to this:

Lemon Chicken

Ingredients:
    (based on 3 people)
    3 chicken breast portions,
    1 onion finely chopped,
    1 bay leaf,
    5 tablespoons of lemon juice,
    1 teaspoon sugar,
    1 teaspoon salt,
    4 tablespoons plain flour,
    2oz butter,
    about half a pint of water

Method
    Melt the butter in the bottom of a saucepan and add the chicken breasts. Fry them in the bottom of the saucepan until they are slightly browned on both sides. Add the onion and slightly cook this with the chicken. Add the lemon juice, sugar and salt and then simmer all these ingredients together for about 2 minutes. Add the plain flour and stir in. Simmer for a further 2 minutes. Add the half a pint of water (or chicken stock) and the bay leaf and simmer the whole lot for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Serve with potatoes and vegetables of your choice.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    Far be it from me to jump on the band wagon but you can make a good lemon chicken sauce with value lemon squash, with some chicken stock or even water and thicken it with cornflour, bring to the boil and a nice chicken sauce.
    Hope you don't mind BS!
  • black-saturn
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thats OK.

I use lemon squash to make a lemon steamed pudding sometimes.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a new recipe to add to this:

Lemon Chicken

Ingredients:
    (based on 3 people)
    3 chicken breast portions,
    1 onion finely chopped,
    1 bay leaf,
    5 tablespoons of lemon juice,
    1 teaspoon sugar,
    1 teaspoon salt,
    4 tablespoons plain flour,
    2oz butter,
    about half a pint of water

Method
    Melt the butter in the bottom of a saucepan and add the chicken breasts. Fry them in the bottom of the saucepan until they are slightly browned on both sides. Add the onion and slightly cook this with the chicken. Add the lemon juice, sugar and salt and then simmer all these ingredients together for about 2 minutes. Add the plain flour and stir in. Simmer for a further 2 minutes. Add the half a pint of water (or chicken stock) and the bay leaf and simmer the whole lot for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Serve with potatoes and vegetables of your choice.

Hi black-saturn,

I read on the daily thread that you were trying out Mrs Beetons recipe, but I am really surprised that she made lemon chicken.....I thought that was a sort of 'new fangled' recipe. :o You have prompted me to have a look in my mum's old book to see if I can find more recipes. :T
  • j-baby-scotland
    Options
    sounds cool...........
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business