Problems viewing MSE with AOL [Merged]

Options
hi

Wheni ever try accessing mse forums through my aol browser it won't let me and comes up with a download box to download a file.

Can you tell me what is happening?

James

Comments

• GreenFingers_2
    Options
    I'm getting the same problem. Not on all threads though - for example the entire Debt Free Wannabe set wont open and I just get displayed the Download File dialogue box. Other thread sets display ok but some individual posts in particular threads won't open but display the Download File dialogue.
    :)The £2 Coin Savers Club = £346.00 (£300.00 transferred to Savings a/c)

:)"Some days you're a Pigeon...some days you're a Statue"
  • maka_2
    maka_2 Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Options
    how strange i am on aol have been for 2 years now i can view mse with no problems at all
    :beer: LOVE LIFE PROCEED & PROGRESS
  • Molanole
    Molanole Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I normally use AOL broadband to surf the web but in the last couple of days when I open the DFW pages all I get is pages of random letters and numbers (probably means something to someone techie and no, it's not what the posts always look like ;) ). It doesn't do it on every page I tried (and I've not tried them all) but DFW is really the only place I use much.

When I open AOL and then open Internet Explorer I can get onto DFW. Anyone know what I've done wrong?
    Debt Free Nerd No. 89, LBM: April 2006, Debt at highest (Sept 05): £40,939.96
    NOW TOTALLY DEBT FREE!!!!!!!! Woooo hooooooo!!! DEBT FREE DATE: 23 December 2009
  • Quincy_3
    Quincy_3 Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Options
    Nothing youve done wrong it could well be the AOL browser.
  • bethom
    bethom Posts: 16,573 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have the same probs myself with aohell

Usin Ie and firefox atm
    I live in my own little world, but it's ok as everyone knows me here :)
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Molanole wrote:
    When I open AOL and then open Internet Explorer I can get onto DFW. Anyone know what I've done wrong?

:confused:

Yes you are using the AOL browser!

:mad:
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • karin
    karin Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    lamb7994 wrote:
    hi

Wheni ever try accessing mse forums through my aol browser it won't let me and comes up with a download box to download a file.

Can you tell me what is happening?

James

I am on AOL, I am happy witheir basic service and e-mail but find their browser very poor.

I followed my son's advice and now minimise AOL and then go into Internet Explorer for using the internet.

It is much better; at least I prefer it.
    I supose you could use Firefox, Opera or Netscape, or any other browser, if you preferred.
    You can download all of them for free.
    It's worth experimenting to see what suits you best.
    Good Luck.
    Karin
  • lamb7994
    lamb7994 Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm now able to access Mse forum with aol now don't whats going on with aol but i'm getting fed up.

James
  • Quincy_3
    Quincy_3 Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Options
    I would remove the AOL software from Add/Remove programs in control panel and set up a connection this way, This is not for Dial-Up Users.

If you have aol and you do NOT want to use the aol software to login and use the internet, follow this below:

NOTE: this info below is from another person and all credits go to him/her. I am just sharing this info to help other aol users.

Setting up a connection with AOL so you can remove their software:

1. Make sure you are disconnected from AOL via their software.

2. Start -> Connect To -> Show All Connections.

3. Double-Click "New Connection Wizard".

4. Hit "Next".

5. Make sure "Connect to the internet is selected" and hit "Next" again.

6. Select "Set up my connection manually" and hit "Next".

7. Select "Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password" and hit "Next".

8. In the "ISP Name" box enter something to describe it to you. SOmething like "AOL Broadband" will do you.

9. Enter your User Name in the box - Something like "KeSmi747@aol.com" then enter the password you use to connect to AOL in each of the boxes below. Hit "Next".

*** IMPORTANT - you must get your username right and the standard format is the first two letters of your first name, the first three letters of your last name, then three random numbers, not forgetting that you also need to include "@aol.com". The example above is what Kevin Smith's AOL username might be. ***

10. Hit "Finish".

At this point you can stop and simply connect to AOL by going Start -> Connect To -> AOL Broadband, but I recommend taking the next few steps and having your connection always on.

11. In the box that comes up hit "Properties". (This box can also be brought up by going Start -> Connect To -> AOL Broadband)

12. Goto the "Options" tab and increase the "Redial attempts" to 100, then change the "Time between redial attempts" to 1 second.

13. On this same screen uncheck the box labelled "Promt for name and password, certificate, etc." Hit "OK".

14. Open Start -> Connect To -> then left-click and drag "AOL Broadband" to your desktop to create a shortcut.

15. Right-Click the new shortcut and select "Cut".

16. Right-Click the Start button and select "Open".

17. Open "Programs" then "Start Up".

18. Right-Click in the blank space and select "Paste".

That's it - now when you log into windows your AOL connection will automatically connect itself and stay conencted
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure