We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

investment in gold

135

Comments

  • DiggerUK
    DiggerUK Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    bendix wrote: »
    Hang on. Aren't you the guy who says gold is a no-risk investment?
    Yes, it is a no risk asset.
    There is a time to buy, and a time to wait to buy.
    I say now is a time to wait a while. Judgement call, that's all.
  • mattih5
    mattih5 Posts: 204 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    edited 4 December 2009 at 3:35PM
    If you really want to dip your toes in, I'd advise going for a fund which invests in Gold/Previous Metal mining companies.

    I invest in the Blackrock Gold & General fund (for 2 years) which in turn invests in Gold mining companies along with other metals. Although the fund hasn't enjoyed the explosive growth Gold has, it has risen substantially over the last 3 months.

    A lot of analysts and speculators suggest Gold will continue to rise well into next year as the Dollar continues its downward spiral; I myself am bit sceptical of this, simply because of the amount it has risen i.e. a bubble.

    I see investing in Gold mining stocks a `safer` option than investing directly in Gold as the investment is in various companies and not the commodity itself.

    I would be wary of investing in Gold at the moment, I've been taking profit from the fund in order to reduce the risk; currently the fund is showing a profit of 41% in my portfolio and that's with several bouts of profit being taken.

    Always remember, only invest what you can afford to loose and if you need that £1,000 then don't bother. As Lokolo has said "Quite risky".
  • mattih5
    mattih5 Posts: 204 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ses6jwg wrote: »
    A bit of common sense is needed here...Putting all your money into gold would be a very foolish thing to do.

    Very wise words.
  • mr_fishbulb
    mr_fishbulb Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    DiggerUK wrote: »
    Yes, it is a no risk asset.
    There is a time to buy, and a time to wait to buy.
    I say now is a time to wait a while. Judgement call, that's all.
    Why bother waiting if there is no risk? Nothing to lose if I buy now because none of my capital will be at risk. Sweet :cool:
  • mattih5
    mattih5 Posts: 204 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I'm a strong believer in what several well know investors have said in the past.

    You know when it's time to get out of a stock when the milk man recommends a stock or investment. I think this applies when adverts begin to appear on TV e.g. Cash4Gold etc and when "Red Top" tabloids begin to cover stories.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    mattih5 wrote: »
    I'm a strong believer in what several well know investors have said in the past.

    You know when it's time to get out of a stock when the milk man recommends a stock or investment. I think this applies when adverts begin to appear on TV e.g. Cash4Gold etc and when "Red Top" tabloids begin to cover stories.

    And the OP
  • bendix
    bendix Posts: 5,499 Forumite
    DiggerUK wrote: »
    Yes, it is a no risk asset.
    There is a time to buy, and a time to wait to buy.
    I say now is a time to wait a while. Judgement call, that's all.

    Utterly ridiculous logic.

    I think you use a different definition to risk than the rest of the world. You seem to suggest it means it will never be worthless. True. I can't argue with that.

    But there is always a risk - at WHATEVER price you pay for it - that that price might go down.

    There is also an additional risk in the way you talk about gold - currency. The price of gold is determine in dollars - when you buy gold you are also making a currency play as much as you are a commodities play.

    Gold as an asset is the same as all other assets - it has to be realised at some point. And how can it be no risk when you can't provide a guarantee that the price won't have dropped when you need to realise it?
  • falling like a lead ballon this afternoon:rudolf:

    http://www.kitco.com/charts/livegoldnewyork.html

    Looking good for the Short Bullion ETF (SBUL)
    If it takes a man a week to walk to walk a fortnight how long does it take a fly with tackity boots on to walk through a barrel of treacle?
  • bendix
    bendix Posts: 5,499 Forumite
    Browntrout wrote: »
    falling like a lead ballon this afternoon:rudolf:

    http://www.kitco.com/charts/livegoldnewyork.html

    Looking good for the Short Bullion ETF (SBUL)

    Don't be ridiculous Browntrout. Gold is a no risk investment.

    Digger says so.
  • mr_fishbulb
    mr_fishbulb Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Why bother waiting if there is no risk? Nothing to lose if I buy now because none of my capital will be at risk. Sweet :cool:
    Dropped from ~$1200 to ~$1150 (~4%) between that post and now.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.