We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
investment in gold
buddy143
Posts: 92 Forumite
Hi,
I have got about 1000 pounds as savings which I am planning to invest on gold. Not sure how ?? Is there any online account like shares where I can buy bit of gold and can sell it as and when required.
the gold prices seem to be goiing high day by day.
what do people think??
any advice much appreciated.
I have got about 1000 pounds as savings which I am planning to invest on gold. Not sure how ?? Is there any online account like shares where I can buy bit of gold and can sell it as and when required.
the gold prices seem to be goiing high day by day.
what do people think??
any advice much appreciated.
0
Comments
-
Ask DiggerUK or Asheron

You can buy gold 3 ways, through buying the actual gold, or through ETFs. Or you can go for a commodities fund.
But, not meaning to sound rude, but you do not seem to have a clue about investing but are going for commodities, which are quite risky, no matter what DiggerUK says!
I am literally about to go home from work now so can't explain anymore atm, someone else might come along and give more info.0 -
I have got about 1000 pounds as savings which I am planning to invest on gold.
Isnt that a bit risky?he gold prices seem to be goiing high day by day.
Yes. That often happens with bubbles. Its when they burst that you need to worry. What goes up 70% in a short time can go down 70% in a short time.I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.0 -
Why not set up a company asking people to send you their gold. Then you send a cheque back to them for 30% less than what it is worth in gold, and immediately sell the item at what is is worth in gold.
If the price of gold crashes then at least you'll have watches and attractive jewellery to admire.0 -
Why not set up a company asking people to send you their gold. Then you send a cheque back to them for 30% less than what it is worth in gold, and immediately sell the item at what is is worth in gold.
Dont forget the need to run stupid adverts on telly to encourage all the naive people watching to prance around the house to look for gold to put in the jiffy bag.I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.0 -
the gold prices seem to be goiing high day by day.
what do people think??
I think this is the worst possible reason to invest in something. It's all well and good if the fundamentals support that growth and more, but more often than not when something shoots skywards it's being buoyed up purely on sentiment. Gold doesn't generate an income, industry demand is actually down from this time last year and more and more is dug up and released into the market each year. There's no real reason for the price rise other than the fact that it's seen as a hedge against all the current market turbulence. As soon as confidence returns to the market and large institutions start selling their gold to get into other assets, the bubble will burst, and huge losses will end up being imposed upon people who bought towards the end of the upwards swing.
I believe that today Goldman Sachs increased their prediction of where the spot price of gold will be in about a year, and it's still more than $200 lower than where it currently stands.
Be very careful, you stand to lose a lot and could end up with an asset worth much less than you bought it for that produces no income and which turns over no business to justify large increases in real value.I am a Chartered Financial Planner
Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.0 -
There's a website that you can go to called Bullionvault.com - it works the same way as Betfair. You can buy or sell gold by having people match your offer. Nothing physical actually changes hands, but Bullionvault does have gold in its vaults..
In March I put about almost £2.5k into it. Price went down for a long time, but it picked up again last week so I sold, and made over a hundred pounds. Not bad for 8 months.0 -
About 6 months ago you could have invested into a simple unit trust and could have made more with less ongoing risk. £100 on a £2.5k investment is only 4% growth, after all. An investment into the L&G UK 100 tracker would have resulted in 51% growth in the same time frame.There's a website that you can go to called Bullionvault.com - it works the same way as Betfair. You can buy or sell gold by having people match your offer. Nothing physical actually changes hands, but Bullionvault does have gold in its vaults..
In March I put about almost £2.5k into it. Price went down for a long time, but it picked up again last week so I sold, and made over a hundred pounds. Not bad for 8 months.
Sorry if that's really negative, but given how much pro-gold propaganda we get on the forum, it's useful to point out the cons of it from time to time.I am a Chartered Financial Planner
Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.0 -
Hi,
I have got about 1000 pounds as savings which I am planning to invest on gold. Not sure how ?? Is there any online account like shares where I can buy bit of gold and can sell it as and when required.
the gold prices seem to be goiing high day by day.
what do people think??
any advice much appreciated.
Hi, there, buddy143,
Is this £1000 the sum total of your savings/investments? If so I would strongly advise against buying gold. The standard advice is to put around 5% and not more than 10% of your portfolio into gold.
If this is just punt money then fair enough. With that amount you'd probably be best off with an ETF.
Having said that, I agree with Aegis and dunstonh; your reasoning here is not sensible ( sorry, not meaning to be harsh ). " It's gone up so I should buy some " is not a good investment strategy!
There's a board on TMF for gold and precious metals investors which might be of interest.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

