We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

investment in gold

245

Comments

  • fablad75 wrote: »
    There's a website that you can go to called Bullionvault.com - it works the same way as Betfair. You can buy or sell gold by having people match your offer. Nothing physical actually changes hands, but Bullionvault does have gold in its vaults..

    In March I put about almost £2.5k into it. Price went down for a long time, but it picked up again last week so I sold, and made over a hundred pounds. Not bad for 8 months.
    As far as I am aware, the gold prices continue to rise since last october. This is for sure. I didnt understand your point that since march, the price went down until last week !!
  • My tupenn'orth: if you want to buy gold, then buy GOLD, not paper gold. Check out your local jewellers, with these high prices folks are 'cashing in' on old sovereigns and the like (look for a shop with a 'we buy scrap gold' sign outside). If you know the spot price on the day, you can probably pick these up at a reasonable premium. Any of the online sources are likely to charge you 30% premium or thereabouts, you should be able to haggle a jeweller down to 5-10% if you're good :p because that's about what they get if they just ship the stuff off to the bullion smelters. Pawnbrokers will rip you off worse than online bullion dealers.

    BUT is it a good time to buy? Bubble or fundamentals? That's your judgment call. My judgment is that it is fundamentals - central banks from India to China are buying gold in quantities of 200 tonnes or so from the IMF, the Chinese government are encouraging their citizens to buy gold. At least for the next few months I think the floor will be above $1000/oz because both of those big buyers are buying the dips. Big pressure upwards still. Geopolitically, think about the state of the dollar, the effects of QE, 'green shoots' and the rest....

    But hey, I'm just a metal-crazed doomer gold bug :D, so take it with a big pinch of salt. Though I wouldn't even spit on an ETF if it was on fire.

    There's probably more to be said for silver in the current climate, though ;)
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone - Thoreau
  • fablad75
    fablad75 Posts: 326 Forumite
    -shrugs- It definitely went down since the peak in March, and started climbing again round October, I think.

    I'm not encouraging anyone to invest in gold, by the way. I was in it for the long haul - I was prepared to just stick it in there and forget about it for a few years - but selling it for a quick profit when the price was right was just too tempting :)

    PS The exact figure was 5.26% over 8 months (after tax). I don't know what that would have been before tax p.a.
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,695 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    fablad75 wrote: »
    -shrugs- It definitely went down since the peak in March, and started climbing again round October, I think.

    I'm not encouraging anyone to invest in gold, by the way. I was in it for the long haul - I was prepared to just stick it in there and forget about it for a few years - but selling it for a quick profit when the price was right was just too tempting :)

    PS The exact figure was 5.26% over 8 months (after tax). I don't know what that would have been before tax p.a.
    As far as I'm aware you'd only have been looking at Capital Gains Tax... and you certainly wouldn't have had to pay that on £100 gain if you haven't already made substantial (i.e. £10100) gains elsewhere.

    If you've paid taxes on that amount you might want to look at a reclaim (though for the £20 or so that you'd have paid it might not be worth the hassle...)
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • fablad75
    fablad75 Posts: 326 Forumite
    No, I don't mean I paid tax on the profit - I meant looking at the return on my investment, it came to 5.26% nett for a period of 8 months, and I was curious as to what that would have amounted to in bank interest terms.
  • divide it by 8 and times it by 12


    Gold has only outperformed shares since late august, before that the rally was good but since then absolute value in shares has dropped


    Normally gold is a long term bet on currency being weak. You could only buy about an ounce of it in 24carrat form, maybe you should get the wife some jewellery.
    Doing the opposite of those rip off ads cant be far wrong
  • Personally, I wouldn't buy gold at the moment. I know nothing about it apart from that the price is high at the moment.
  • DiggerUK
    DiggerUK Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    buddy143,
    You have a mortgage? you have debts? and you want to buy gold?
    Get things in order, kill the debts.
    For now, buy yourself a sovereign, follow it's fortune, and find out about gold.
    In your case it is something for future consideration.

    There is every chance of a pullback in price, but I think that gold under 600 pound an ounce is never coming back.
    http://www.coininvestdirect.com/main.php
    http://www.kitco.com/
    http://www.lbma.org.uk/statistics_current.htm
    http://www.gold.org/
    http://goldprice.org/gold-price-uk.html

    Best of fortune.
  • bendix
    bendix Posts: 5,499 Forumite
    DiggerUK wrote: »
    buddy143,
    You have a mortgage? you have debts? and you want to buy gold?
    Get things in order, kill the debts.
    For now, buy yourself a sovereign, follow it's fortune, and find out about gold.
    In your case it is something for future consideration.

    There is every chance of a pullback in price, but I think that gold under 600 pound an ounce is never coming back.
    http://www.coininvestdirect.com/main.php
    http://www.kitco.com/
    http://www.lbma.org.uk/statistics_current.htm
    http://www.gold.org/
    http://goldprice.org/gold-price-uk.html

    Best of fortune.


    Hang on. Aren't you the guy who says gold is a no-risk investment?
  • ses6jwg
    ses6jwg Posts: 5,381 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    A bit of common sense is needed here.

    Gold has its place in any portfolio.

    Come next year I will be looking at Gold ETFs as part of my ISA coupled with an index linked gilt to hedge against inflation.

    Putting all your money into gold would be a very foolish thing to do.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.