PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Need OldStyle Help! ...

Options

Comments

• piratess
    piratess Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Moggins i dont drive (yet still having lessons) so have to rely on my partner at the moment so even once a week is to much for him but when ive got my licence im definatly going to have a proper look round and may even get to lidls ... im thinking that maybe as others have said try buying from the local market we have one every saturday here and its a good one ...

then just buy the essentials from tescos/morrions two i use most ... Thanks for all your help its very much appreciated!
    Hoping to be a thinner me in 2010!
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    piratess wrote:
    hi

sausages,(bought to keep incase of extra mouths etc )

it's things like this that you are adding onto your shopping list - the just incase problem, which means that you'll need to complete a store cuboard challenge to get rid of everything that hasn't been eaten, it makes for a month of very interesting meals!

If you keep lentils in the cupboard, you can use these to bulk out most mince dishes incase there are more mouths to feed.

If you write your meal planner to include all meals, then you'll see where you can cut down. ie lunch, crisps, small packets of raisins, sandwich etc. Work out the cost of each item, so if you buy ham in a packet, divide the cost by the slices and then times that by the number of slices you put in your sandwich. Tedious to do to begin with but becomes slowly satisfying! You can then look at allocating some of the cost over the month it's used for rather then just the week you buy it in.

x
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    To be honest if your DH is moaning about the shopping bills then he should be prepared to take you a bit more often. If not and you are spending out on impulse buys too then just stick to online shopping for a while. That gives you the chance to meal plan, check your store cupboard and just log on and order what you need. If you stick to the cheapest delivery day, find the odd £5 and £10 code too then even with the delivery charge you would find it cheaper (and easier) than pushing a cart around a supermarket.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Try having a look at this site too for Tesco codes.

http://www.loyalty-points.co.uk/forums/
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Thistle-down
    Thistle-down Posts: 914 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I haven't used them myself (we used terries) but I have heard that Lidl nappies are very cheap and very good. I have used Aldi nappies on occasion and they were fine, though not any cheaper I don't think than the ASDA own brand.

~Lynn :')
    :happylove
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can also vouch for Lidls for some items too - we did a 20 quid shop there the other day, butr didnt really buy enough for the week ( poor planning & broken fridge :( ) but thier packet ham is superb. Finest quality for value prices.

i got 24 bags of walkers for 1.79 but they had own brand ones for even less.

Have a look on the back of the fajita mix packet this is something you can manage yourself with big bags of spices, for pence.

Also bear in mind some meat are more expensive than others. Ie we buy turkey instead of chicken for fajitas, curies etc if we are not using a big chicken ( not as many roasts in this heat) as its cheaper, or for BBQing we are using legs instead of breast, which are a fraction of the price.

What you cant do with a jar of passata - its seived tomato so can be used as a base for bolognaise, chilli, enchiladas, pasta sauces, spanish chicken etc. just add herbs & spices as you need to.

We have started to have one veggie meal a week too for environmental reasons, you can make a veggie pie with packet pastry, loads of roasted veg and passata and a bit of chili, and serve with a jacket.

buying specific baking pots are more expensive. Its 4 potatoes for 80p near me, or a value bag with plenty of big ones in for 1.20. The big bag lasts AGES
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • piratess
    Options
    Thanks for all of your hints and tips! i think im going to shop online for a while and ONLY buy what i need for that week, and try to get the kids eating what i eat! Thanks for the advice Lynz i think ill be buying the big bags of tatties and can use the big ones for jackets good idea! Im still trying to pursuade my partner to take me to Lidl or Aldi but he reckons it will cost more in fuel .. so we shall see ...

your advice has been brilliant thankyou xxx
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    instead of your hubby taking u , do u have a friend who would be intrested in going to lidl or aldi and u could maybe go together. you don't need to go every week but once u been your hubby might realise it is worth going.
  • piratess
    Options
    i wish i did jcr ... but im alone up here :( ... i moved to this area for my partners work.. he is from the new forest im from Cornwall so am all on my tod!
    his sister only uses tescos! as does his mum so couldnt go with them have to say am feeling a little lost at the moment thanks for the suggestion tho xx
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    I have a 10 mile drive to Lidl & Aldi, so what I do is to go once a month to the "big" town, where they have shops like Lidl, Aldi, Wilkinsons & Poundland, as well as a big market. I plan what I need to buy from each of these places - have a really detailed shopping list, cos I'd hate to forget something!
    That way, I can stock up on what I need from the cheaper places, & the fuel cost is minimal, and I think must be more than covered by the savings made in buying from there.
    Then, all I need to do for the rest of the month is go to the local market & the local supermarkets for fruit & veg & any other fresh stuff. Also it helps me save a bit of money, cos the less I go in shops, the less opportunities for spending!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure