PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Need OldStyle Help! ...

Options
15678911»

Comments

• AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Must have missed this thread earlier. :o Great advice. I have always menu planned as well. Mainly each week or fortnight. Haven't tried the monthly one yet but I will try when we move into our own place. I have hardly any kitchen cupboards & no room to stockpile atm.

I also find lasagne is good to cook. You can bulk out the meat part & freeze it as well as making extra white sauce. So next time you have lasagne on your meal plan it's just a case of defrosting the meat mixture & the sauce. Quick & easy for busy nights. Sometimes I can get three portions out of the one lot of mince. The third portion is smaller but I can make a pasta bake with it or add some cooked leftover veg and make pasties. You will get inventive as time goes by :p and it will become a challenge.

Good luck piratess & special thanks to moggins. :D
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• jaxxy00
    jaxxy00 Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Options
    Just found this thread and its great. have pasted loads of recipes and ideas into word documents and saved them under savourys, desserts etc so i can find them easy. Thanks for these everyone.
  • sammy_kaye18
    Options
    Hi hun

apologys if this was posted earlier!)

me , my bf and my 2 year old live on £90 a month groceries and this includes household stuff and food for our 3 year old terrier. My bf works 6 days a week so is only really here for breakfast and dinner but him and my son eat like horses but it is possible to get it done.

bananas - fair enough
    3x mince chicken breast - could u buy a whole chicken instead - its usually 2 for £5 in Tesco.
    sausages, - try tescos own
    bacon - either get tescos own off cuts or look for BOGOF offers
    gammon - again look at tescos own brand
    pasta (long) pasta shapes - why not buy a big 3kg (tescos own) for £1.44
    rice - Tescos long grain american rice is £1.83/4kg
    pastaNsauce savoury rice - so expensive why not make your own sauce
    tuna -
    eggs - free range or not?
    sarnie meats - value ham is £1.15
    frozen veg - cheaper possibly to buy fresh veg - carrots etc
    pizzas (Tvalue) - make your own using a french stick, ketchup and fresh toppings
    fish peices(Tvalue) - tried fish fingers? 17p for 10
    frozen chips (T value) - make your own chips
    roast potatoes (T) - buy bag of potatoes and make your own
    washing powder + softner (tescos powder)
    toilet rolls (T) - value or just tescos - value is £1.14 for 12
    bin bags - ask your local council to provide some - they usually do

crisps multi pack for older kids .. (T)
    snacks for toddler (t) - why not make your own, make some little flap jacks or oven dry some bread to make bread sticks/home made rusks

cereal (T)
    hoops
    weetabix - are these all tescos own? i get 750g frosted flakes, 600g rice snaps (both tescos decent stuff, 500g tescos value cornflakes, 500g tescos value weetabix all for £3.55

bread 1 loaf hovis - why not buy tescos own bread - 38p loaf if you dont like the extra cheap stuff

fajita wrap kit - could you not make you own fajitas?

a bag of small packed raisens - are these seperate boxes or a bag of raisins (44p) add these to cereals

VLF cottage cheese

8 pints of milk - iceland do milk 4pts for £1. could be cheaper to look there if you need to save money

flora spread - why not try utterly butterly or i cant believe...' i know its only a few pence but every littel helps :p

diet pepsi - why not try a cheaper alternative - mostly paying for the brand name

2 packet mixes chilli and spag bol

Stir fry packs - again why not buy fresh veg and make your own?

just a few simple things - i used to buy everythign brand named adn spend abotu £200 on shopping now im donw to £90 for technically 4 of us and it makes life so much easier plus its kind of fulfillign knowing ive been happy in my kitchen all day making all these yummy treats
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • Yategirl
    Yategirl Posts: 839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Moggins - could I please please please ask for your recipe for smoked sausage risotto and the basil and mushroom sauce (for tagliatelle)??

Have just found this thread while searching for new menu ideas and YUM! your menu sounds great! thanks! :)
  • woofwoofwoof
    woofwoofwoof Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    Moggins - (you're in demand!) you mentioned that there was a bit on the forum where you can get voucher codes - can you point me in the right direction please?
    :hello:
  • babychick
    babychick Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    not moggins but the tesco codes can be found on this site under the discount codes and vouchers section - there's a thread especially for tesco codes!
    Happiness is not getting what you want - it's wanting what you have :D
    (I can't remember the originator!)
  • clearskies
    clearskies Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, here's a tip my mother in law gave me (she had six in the family and always had to watch the pennies). When cooking mince for chilli or spag bol, try adding a tablespoon of porrage oats. This really bulks out the mince, but you don't taste the oats because of all the spices.
    The person who says it can't be done is likely to be interrupted by the person doing it :D
    DFW Nerd 480
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • star-X_2
    star-X_2 Posts: 126 Forumite
    Options
    I think ive found the best money saving idea, i think we should go to moggins and black saturns house for tea on alternate nights, thier recipes sound fantastic :j x
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    moggins wrote: »
    Bacon Roly Poly

Suet pastry made with 12oz plain flour and 6oz suet add mixed herbs to the pastry. Roll out into a rectange and cover with 6oz bacon pieces and 1 large sliced raw onion. roll into a roly poly shape and place on a baking tray and bake in a medium to low oven for two hours, serve with green vegetables and gravy.

This is so delish. I sometimes chop everything up finely and mix with some chopped up tinned tomatoes, before spreading on the mix. I steam mine in my steamer, but I'm going to bake the next one now. It is also lovely cold.

Last night I made a wartime recipe called 'Mock Goose'. one and a half pounds of potatoes, 2 either cooking apples or not too sweet apples (I used value eaters) either half teaspoon dried sage or few chopped fresh leaves, 4 oz grated cheese and three quarters pint stock. Layer the potatoes, apples sprinkle with sage and cheese. Keep going and end with potatoes and cheese. Because I use a large flatish dish to get lots of crunchy top I put half the potatoes, all the sliced apples, a bit of the cheese and then the rest of the potatoes. Pour over half a pint of the stock and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.

Bake at 170o for 45 minutes, add one tablespoon of cornflour with the rest of the stock, jiggle the dish to mix it through and put back for 15 minutes. Serve with a green veg - or whatever veg you like. The green veg was the wartime instruction.

This is a popular dish in our house and serves 2 with a portion for a lunch. I was a bit cautious about the apple before I made it for the first time, but the apple really works well.

Because the oven is on for an hour I often make a quiche at the same time. I then cut it into four and freeze it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure