🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Heard from your bank/court about your claim being restarted? Please let us know.

Options

Comments

• oscar52
    oscar52 Posts: 2,272 Forumite
    Options
    How does all this bear with Financial hardship? - ie if the bank has already made a partial payment based on hardship, should they review using this criterion again - ie the customer is still in hardship, rather than await further action/rulings.
    No Longer works for MBNA as of August 2010 - redundancy money will be nice though.

Proud to be a Friend of Niddy.
    no idea what my nerdnumber is - i am now officially nerd 229, no idea on my debt free date
  • EmilyJ1986
    Options
    I sent a claim in for our charges a couple of months ago and they obviously replied saying i had to wait for the outcome from the courts until they properly look into it.

I recieved a letter today basically saying my case has been unopened and i can escalate my concerns of the charges and if they do not hear from me within 8 weeks then the complaint is closed.

I obviosuly want to get back to them but not quite sure what to say?

I did originally claim under hardship as my husband who is self employed didn't have any work at the time and i only work part time due to having 2 young children. We didn't miss any direct debits so don't really have solid proof we were in hardship however we did get a loan to pay of overdrafts and help us out at the time.
  • esmerellda
    esmerellda Posts: 2,237 Forumite
    Options
    HSBC Emily ?
    LegalBeagles
  • EmilyJ1986
    EmilyJ1986 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 December 2009 at 12:58PM
    Options
    Yes HSBC. I'm having problem after problem with the bank at the minute (not about the charges) So i'm not just wanting to leave it as the quicker I can pay off overdrafts i have with them and leave the better.

Do you think it's worth getting back to them though? Or would they just throw it back in my face?!
  • BenS1
    BenS1 Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    EmilyJ1986 wrote: »
    Yes HSBC. I'm having problem after problem with the bank at the minute (not about the charges) So i'm not just wanting to leave it as the quicker I can pay off overdrafts i have with them and leave the better.

Do you think it's worth getting back to them though? Or would they just throw it back in my face?!

I just got the letter Emily got too, I also originally claimed hardship too. 8 weeks is fine, OFT is deciding what to do tomorow so that will dictate what I do next :)

Oh, and if you close the account, you can continue to claim the charges if that's what your wondering :)
  • esmerellda
    Options
    Yep, am working on specific response for HSBC at moment but again waiting until the morning announcement before making a final decision on the next steps....fingers crossed :)
    LegalBeagles
  • EmilyJ1986
    Options
    Ah right so i'll just do nothing for the moment then. Thankfully you can get back to them by email which is a bit easier with the Christmas period.

What exactly will happen with the OFT tomorrow then?
  • esmerellda
    Options
    The OFT will announce whether we have persuaded them to continue with action through the courts on the fairness of charges and basically fairness of overall contracts with the banks, or whether they are going to leave it and concentrate on making the future of banking fairer and leave consumers to sort themselves out with regards to historical charges and refunds.

Theres lots of work going on in the background, discussions with OFT, FSA, Courts, consumer groupsd, ombudsman and banks, tomorrow will show the results of all that activity since the judgment and we're (hopefully) well prepared for the next steps whatever the OFT decide.
    LegalBeagles
  • cgibson_2
    Options
    HI

I have today received a letter from my bank saying that they are rejecting my claim, if I dnot agree with this then I have eight weeks in which to appeal!

Do we know when the OFT will respond to the latest infomration as I dont want this timescale to lapse? If not then what are my options?:confused:
  • Orford
    Orford Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    cgibson wrote: »
    Do we know when the OFT will respond to the latest infomration
    Tomorrow Tuesday 22nd at 7am, but Sky are claiming
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bus...Overdraft_Fees
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories