PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help! £40 to feed family for the month

Options

Comments

• donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    was a resounding S U C C E S S ! ! !

All gobbled up with 1/2 frozen for another day - hooray! will def try the lentils in my bolognese next week now, thank you!

Dinner tonight is chicken curry
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A word of warning to anyone who wants to tell DH how much they have saved!

DON'T !
    Instead of praising you for all the hard work, imagination and sheer slog! Which you would expect they would do -They will only think that you must have been "wasting" money before and will expect you to work miracles all the time, which with food costs going up all the time might not always be possible.

It might be safer to say you managed to get some really good offers at the supermarket and have been using these.

Please do not make a rod for your own back!

I have told DH that now DDs are back at school and uni I want to get back to noting down exactly what I spend in a special book and making an even greater effort not to waste anything and to make the best use of stuff in the house.

Have told him I am hoping that if I really concentrate on what I am doing I will be able to afford a Remoska out of this month's salary.

He has not actually objected to this so I am taking this as agreement!!! ;)
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,599 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    281273 wrote: »
    Just a small question... someone earlier in the thread mentioned tinned mushrooms. Can these be used in the bol mix.... I now its probably a daft question but I just wondered. My hubby works in the building trade so money is starting to get tighter.
    Just tip the mushrooms in (whole or sliced, no matter). I've been bulking out the bolognese sauce (and chilli) for so long now I'd never go back to just plain meat and onion. I'm definitely going to try the lentils in the spag bol too. I don't think chilli needs it perhaps as I put in loads of pulses with the veg.

Two other things: I always buy value bags of peppers and slice and freeze any I haven't used fresh as soon as they start to go a bit wrinkly looking. A handful of these is another good addition to the sauce mix.

Also MBAZ I want to say a huge well done and also to congratulate you on how basically healthy your meal planner/shopping list is. No crisps and biscuits down as essentials!
  • juliettet
    Options
    *cat food / litter (were gonna start her on wet food as she likes it better so any advice welcome on good food she is 7 and only likes seafood flavour)

any help is totally appreciated!!!![/quote]

For my mob (3) I buy Asda Fish seafood selection 12 for £3.72. They love this. HTH
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    mbaz wrote: »
    Just typed shopping list into Tesco.com and it looks good!!

Tesco Sage & Onion Stuffing Mix 170g £0.58
    You are stars!!!! Any suggestions for cutbacks/replacements?

ps. not going to buy online obviously!! will go to my local store tomorrow

tesco do a sage and onion stuffing mix for 13p!:D
  • chunky79
    chunky79 Posts: 732 Forumite
    Options
    sounds stupid but i have never used lentils, what do you do with them???
    You can touch the dust but please don't write in it !

Would you like to speak to the man in charge, or the woman who knows whats happening?
  • cady
    cady Posts: 668 Forumite
    Options
    juliettet wrote: »
    *cat food / litter (were gonna start her on wet food as she likes it better so any advice welcome on good food she is 7 and only likes seafood flavour)

any help is totally appreciated!!!!

For my mob (3) I buy Asda Fish seafood selection 12 for £3.72. They love this. HTH[/quote]

Thanks we are gonna buy the asda stuff for now but she is going to the vets in a few weeks and she has put on a lot of wieght so im gonna ask the vet what i shoud feed her and how much she is 7 now too so wanna make sure she is getting all the right stuff still but wanna save a bit £££ if we can.
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    nor me but it sounds like you can just put them in when cooking stews /bol/curries etc I am definitley going to try:D
  • choccyface2006
    Options
    This thread has inspired me to try lentils too, our food bill (plus all toiletries/cleaning products, some which I won't compromise on) is about £100 per month for three of us, I thought this was excellent but I think there are even more cuts backs to make!

Everyone seems to shop at Adsa, is this the favourite on the OS board? I only do occasional shopping there normally but I could change....maybe even do it online, as I have a code for free delivery :)

Good luck with the rest of the month!

Sarah x
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    chunky79 wrote: »
    sounds stupid but i have never used lentils, what do you do with them???

Just bung some of em in with your sauce (assuming they are red lentils ;)) You will need to cook the sauce a bit longer and test to check that the lentils aren't still hard (the longer you cook it, the more mushy the lentils become and thus less obvious :D)

I usually bung them in when I add the tomato/passata liquids as they need the liquid to cook properly.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure