PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help! £40 to feed family for the month

Options

Comments

• mummysaver
    mummysaver Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    mbaz - well done, keep going, has anyone noticed yet?

elona - oh you did make me laugh! My oh just lets me get on with it, he is trying to be helpful, but hasn't quite got it yet! Most of my friends just think I'm bonkers, my friend was laughing at me once as I poured yet more lentils into the bol sauce in the slow cooker, then really laughed as I transformed half of it into a chilli, but then who was on the phone asking for tips the next night?! He was impressed that I could streeeetch a pack of mince so far, don't think his kids were impressed as they only like sausages, pizza and fish fingers!

For whoever asked about lentils, I chuck a couple of handfuls of lentils in per lb of mince, I also add a couple of handfuls of oats as well, this is for bol/chilli/cottage pie. I also use lentils in curry and soup just to add some protein and make it go a bit further, just add them when you add the liquid and keep an eye on it as obviously the lentils will absorb liquid as they cook so you need more than usual.

As for cleaning stuff, I have some stardrops, harpic limescale loo stuff, zoflora for the floors, bleach (pretty sure there's a thread warning not to mix it with any other chemicals, incl stardrops, something about reactions and fumes being dangerous), washing up liquid, and some own brand multi purpose cleaning spray.

Got my ds doing the menu plan for next week, and he's spent ages on his computer sorting it out, I'm hoping he's looked here for some inspiration, but I have a nasty feeling that he'll be expected something way beyond my abilities - heard the printer going so he's probably done me a shopping list and recipes as well! I shall be posting with a panic on how to cook cordon bleu stylee on a budget soon I expect!
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
  • victoriajj
    Options
    chuffed:D got a 12inch cheese and tomato pizza from morrisons for 9p for my and dd tea tomorrow, dh got some belly pork for 9p and also got 2 lumps of goats cheese with peppers in also for 9p each, I love morrisons at closing time
  • choccyface2006
    Options
    victoriajj wrote: »
    chuffed:D got a 12inch cheese and tomato pizza from morrisons for 9p for my and dd tea tomorrow, dh got some belly pork for 9p and also got 2 lumps of goats cheese with peppers in also for 9p each, I love morrisons at closing time

:eek: Thats great! I thought I was doing well to get a pack of diced chicken breast from the Co-op today for 35p down from £3.49!

Sarah
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kezia wrote: »
    I did my weekly shop on Wednesday... and I had to buy a bag of lentils too. Just off to try and make carrot and lentil soup :)
    There'll be a national shortage of lentils before you know and people will be selling them on ebay!!
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I have been toatally inspired by this thread , I honestly thought you wouldnt be able to do it but you are and thats fantastic:T
    i have made a spag bol today and added in all the leftover veg i normally would have thrown away plus some lentils!!:D it has made a huge portion which will do at least 2 meals for 2 adults and 2 teenagers:T
  • sprogs
    sprogs Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    shed35 wrote: »
    How about making pancakes with the milk, egg, flour and a pinch of salt.

You can even add half water/half milk as it will make even lighter pancakes.

I started doing this last year when I was short of money and it really goes along way and you can freeze them. You can make it sweet or savoury depending how you feel.

Hope this helps

What a fab thread!

For a change from pasta with your bolognese mix (or if you have run out of pasta) you can use pancakes like cannelloni, just roll up some bolognese in the pancakes pop them in a oven dish cover with white sauce and some grated cheese and bake - yummy!

If little ones won't eat 'cannelloni' then you can cut the cooked pancakes into strips - a bit like tagliatelle.
  • samarnesen
    Options
    this is a great thread im definately going to use lentils and oats to bulk things out
    this might sound like a stupid question but do lentils count towards your 5 aday my 5 yr old wont eat any vegetables i used grated carrots in my bolognaise the other day and told her it was orange cheese she wolfed the lot

im so jealous of you than can get all the reduced items i cant drive so either do my shopping online or get someone to take me every now and again my oh can drive but works long hours and funny shifts so hes not happy to go food shopping especially for bargains which is a shame because theres 9 of us to feed
    Extra payment every week challenge £15 so far
    Pay one debt in 2012 £35/£294
  • vixtress
    vixtress Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sprogs wrote: »
    What a fab thread!

For a change from pasta with your bolognese mix (or if you have run out of pasta) you can use pancakes like cannelloni, just roll up some bolognese in the pancakes pop them in a oven dish cover with white sauce and some grated cheese and bake - yummy!

If little ones won't eat 'cannelloni' then you can cut the cooked pancakes into strips - a bit like tagliatelle.

my mum always used to use panckes in lasagne as my dad wouldnt eat pasta....it was lovely
    - prior planning prevents poor performance!

May Grocery challenge £150 136/150
  • lilly81
    lilly81 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Im having a temporary cash flow problem, so this thread will help!
    Debt free date 23rd march 2009 🥳Autism is my super power 🏳️🌈 🌈✨
  • mbaz
    mbaz Posts: 895 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all. Working last night so couldnt update.Still going well. Out of bread but hubbie makign a loaf today hile I'm working overtime. Still managing to survive without buying anything else but getting low on weetabix which could be a disaster!!!

1st - carbonara (just found a jar in back of cupboard)
    2nd Lasagne (with added lentils ;) )
    3rd chicken and rice
    4th jacket spuds with smartprice beans
    5th defrost a curry
    6th lasagne
    7th chicken dinner
    8th chicken casserole with yorkshires (leftovers)
    9th Defrost a curry
    10th canelloni
    11th Bolognaise
    12th shepherds pie (make 2 and freeze 1)
    13th veggie sausages and mash
    14th Beans on toast (gotta crop up somewhere)!!
    15th chicken curry with 4p sauce
    16th veggie burgers
    17th pasta with cheese and tomatoe sauce
    18th shepherds pie from 12th
    19th risotto
    20th Homemade soup
    21th Chilli
    22th Egg and chips
    23th Shezza's sauce and pasta (I'll always call it that now!)
    24th - Go to take away in middle of night when OH's salary goes in!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure