Pay as you go mobile broadband with no contract or expiry date?

Options

Comments

• Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

it's just the third link that doesn't work, for me, server not found, here is the url taken from properties,

http://www.dc-unlocker.com/download/soft.php?file=udV8IjE

could you try it please?

Edit: just incase you try and are waiting for a reply, thanks, I'm off to bed, will try again in the morning.

That's the fourth time you made me start that download :mad: :D

Works everytime from here.

I've uploaded it here for you to stop you from trying to drive me mad with it. :)

Since you aren't installing it on the modem at this stage, you will be better off with just the Connection Manager
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 15 July 2010 at 5:35AM
    Options
    Hi,

thanks for that, hope I didn't keep you up until half two, and guess what, your original link worked, for me this morning free-confused-smileys-423.gif, :o, I've got that same dongle, HUAWEI Mobile connect Model: E160G, so will wait and see what further help you give UKHCGirl, I don't want to hog her thread, though should warn you, I (no doubt) shall return. :wave:
  • UKHCGirl
    UKHCGirl Posts: 206 Forumite
    Options
    haha you arent hogging my thread at all! Im totally going to do this all when i purchase my new vodafone no expiry sim :)
  • UKHCGirl
    Options
    Donnie wrote: »

Before you get started, I need to know as to whether you have used the modem on the computer before.

I have. :)
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,
    UKHCGirl wrote: »
    haha you arent hogging my thread at all! :)

thanks, gonna wait and see what help you get.

I've had that dongle for ages, and it is rubbish, mind you I'm in a kinda bad reception area, but every time I phone them to get an unlock code they take me through another process, so at least now I'm getting the 5 bars, but have no credit, and loath to top up because had £25 top up once and only used about £1 before it expired, because of the bad signal.

I'm like you, the £10 for 30 days is no good for me, as I only use it if I'm away for a weekend, as I'm on wireless at home, and the 30 day expiry runs out before I need it again.
  • Donnie
    Options
    Hi,

thanks, gonna wait and see what help you get.

I've had that dongle for ages, and it is rubbish, mind you I'm in a kinda bad reception area, but every time I phone them to get an unlock code they take me through another process, so at least now I'm getting the 5 bars, but have no credit, and loath to top up because had £25 top up once and only used about £1 before it expired, because of the bad signal.

I'm like you, the £10 for 30 days is no good for me, as I only use it if I'm away for a weekend, as I'm on wireless at home, and the 30 day expiry runs out before I need it again.

This eBay seller has thoughtfully supplied some more instructions for you. Though he is charging £4.99 for the code that you can produce for free with the calculator provided.
  • Donnie
    Options
    I have. :)

I would suggest that you unlock it before you get a new SIM, just so you know that all is well before you fork out any more cash.

Seems like all the 1 GB 30 days SIMs have all but disappeared from eBay. Maybe from all the advertising they received from here.
    I was going to suggest that as an alternative.

When you settle on the SIM card that you intend to use, it might be an idea to use their Connection Manager for ease of use.

You can have more than one Connection Manager installed. After installation, just go in to msconfig or use a utility such as CCleaner to stop it from Auto-Starting(this includes the original '3' software).

Then you can change SIM cards at will, plug the modem in and then open up the corresponding Connection Manager.

So to reiterate, try entering the incompatible SIM first using the '3' software to see if you get the 'pop up box' in which you can enter the unlock code.
    If you don't, you can run this utility and use it to detect and unlock the modem.

If you fail in this, you can try with one of the Connection Managers/Dashboards for which I have created links.

Once unlocked, you can customise your 'new' modem by updating the dashboard if you wish, by installing the new dashboard with the USB modem connected.
  • Donnie
    Options
    If it works for you and you have a PayPal account, you can 'Donate' a small amount to those who maintain the calculator. I'm sure US$1 would buy something in Vietnam. :)
  • UKHCGirl
    Options
    Thanks Donnie! Managed to get a card off ebay and do all that (although it took me a load of time). Only one question now.. as i am not using a vodafone portal to connect, how will i know when i run out of credit?

(told you i was totally not it savvy haha)
  • Donnie
    Options
    Thanks Donnie! Managed to get a card off ebay and do all that (although it took me a load of time). Only one question now.. as i am not using a vodafone portal to connect, how will i know when i run out of credit?

(told you i was totally not it savvy haha)

You can use the Vodafone Mobile Broadband Lite software - v3.1.2.104

After installation, download and install CCleaner, Go to 'Tools' > 'Startup' and disable any of the Connection Managers you can see there.
    You can do this before installation of the Connection Manager if you want the Vodafone connection to Auto-Start.

That way you can just start up the Connection Manager according to the SIM card that you are using.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure