car auctions

Options
today i bought a car from the auctions.
although this car was first registered in 1997 it came with 11 months m.o.t left on it so i decided to buy.
within 10 mile of driving the vehicle home from the auctions i'd broken down and had to call the AA.
whilst waiting for the AA to arrive i called the auctions and spoke with the manager to check what my rights were. i was told by the manager that because i'd bought the vehicle "sold as seen" i had no rights whatsoever and that if i tried to return the vehicle i'd be charged storage fee.
when the AA arrived he instantly spotted that the head gaskit had blown and showed me the clear signs to prove this.
(why mot a car and then put it to auction after 4 weeks??????????)
Also, after towing me home the AA mechanic had a quick look round the vehicle and advised that it did not look like a car only 1 month in to a 12 month mot which also makes me question the legality of the certificate.
he advised a full inspection of the vehicle.
i will be writing to the lucky gentleman who palmed this obviously terminally ill car on to me and asking for my money back and will then persue this for as long as it takes.
any advice will be most helpfull and i thankyou for reading my post.

Comments

• Paul_S_2
    Options
    An MOT only checks to see if the car is safe to drive on the road. It's not a check for general well being. Cars are more expensive through dealers for a reason.
  • laila25
    laila25 Posts: 63 Forumite
    edited 28 November 2009 at 5:02AM
    Options
    ty for your response. i kno that mot's are there for safety. my comment about putting the 12 month ticket on is to highlight the fact that why bother putting on a 12 month certificate only to put it to auction 1 month later? maybe the seller was advised to do this by a competant mechanic as i have now learn't that the signs are clear when its ready to blow.
    The AA mechanic spotted rust damage to a sill that in his words wouldnt have deteriorated so badly in 1 month.
  • austin
    austin Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    thread is in the wrong section, should be in the motoring section, youd prob get better answers there :rolleyes:
  • laila25
    laila25 Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    cheers austin. i struggled to even post the thread, god kno's how i put it in the correct section. i'll try again in the mornin. thanks
  • austin
    austin Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    no probs laila, just send the boardguide, divadee a private message (click on link below then click on her name) and just say it needs to be moved to motoring.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1367309
  • Minsk
    Minsk Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    After spending 10 years in the motor industry as a sales man, i can tell you that a MOT certificate only states that the car was fit and road worthy on the day of the test its not a gaurantee that its all going to be good for the next 12 months. you will probably find that the MOT may be dodgy but trying to prove it will take you forever and these guys will have coverd their tracks, the best you can do is probably talk to traiding standards and if the receipt dosent state sold as seen then you may have a valid case to get your money back. Also look into goods that are not fit for the purpose they were bought for there is some sort of law that protects the consumer regading that.

I worked for main dealers and not joe bloggs cut and shut garage at the back of asda, but take it from me even the main dealers aint that squeeky clean hence my reason for no longer being in the industry if they can wangle their way out of something they will.

Good luck!
  • fto
    fto Posts: 588 Forumite
    Options
    You should have done your homework before you visited the auction.
    A blown head gasket is one of the first things you look for...........
    The probable reason it was in the auction,was because of the blown head gasket.Sorry to tell you this,but the chances of you getting your money back are almost nil,you purchased the car sold as seen.
  • socks_uk
    socks_uk Posts: 2,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not only should you do your homework you should also take someone with you to an auction who knows a good deal about cars or even a trustworthy mechanic. You'll need to get the car home if you buy one as well as the vehicle you went in anyway so it might as well be someone who knows their stuff.
    DEBT FREE BY 60
    Starting Debt 21st August 2019 = £11,024
    Debt at May 2022 = £5268
    Debt Free Challenge - To be debt free by August 2024
  • nobby24
    nobby24 Posts: 398 Forumite
    Options
    A 1997 car, in an auction, I don't expect you will have suffered a great loss? Just my opinion but I would never buy from an auction, unless I was an experienced car mechanic.
    A problem shared is a problem multiplied. :o
  • harveybobbles
    Options
    laila25 wrote: »
    i will be writing to the lucky gentleman who palmed this obviously terminally ill car on to me and asking for my money back and will then persue this for as long as it takes.
    any advice will be most helpfull and i thankyou for reading my post.

Don't bother wasting your ink and paper!

You have no rights what so ever to get a refund. The car was "sold as seen without warranty" if you'd listen to what the auctioneer said. They record all the auctions so they can replay them back for instances like this.

As for it having an 11 month MOT, so what? MOT's don't check to see if the head has gone!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure