Ford Focus ST stereo query

Options
aliasojo
aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Son has just bought a 56 plate Focus ST 2. Garage told him it had a Sony 6 cd changer but we don't think it has. :confused:

The Sony book is no help, the picture it shows for both models is identical yet it talks about a load button that his stereo doesn't have which makes us think it's just a single cd player.

First of all, can anyone help us ascertain which model he actually has (no markings or visible numbers on the front of it) and secondly does he have any comeback on the garage who told him it was 6 cd version if it turns out it's not?
Herman - MP for all! :)

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you looked under the front passenger seat?

Or perhaps in the boot if some boy racer had one fitted as an aftermarket item?

If not there, get your son to ask the salesman where it is :)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • aliasojo
    Options
    It doesn't have a unit elsewhere, this type of cd is supposed to take all 6 cds after slotting them in through the normal cd slot, this is where the load button is suppose to come into play.

I've checked the Ford site and confirmed this. Through searching the net, I've found other people on other forums with the same complaint. looks like some Ford garages don't actually know the proper spec of what they are selling.

It now looks certain that he has a single cd version so the question is, given that the salesman told him it was a 6 cd changer unit, does he have any comeback to either get the unit changed, or to get some money refunded? Or is he just stuffed since he only took the salesman's word for it?
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It would definitely be worth your son discussing this with the dealer.
    What has he got to lose?
    Unless he has something in writing such as it being notated on the sales order/receipt, he may not get very far though.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • aliasojo
    edited 27 November 2009 at 3:18PM
    Options
    Premier wrote: »
    It would definitely be worth your son discussing this with the dealer.
    What has he got to lose?
    Unless he has something in writing such as it being notated on the sales order/receipt, he may not get very far though.

That's my thoughts as well tbh. I feels sorry for him, the cd changer was part of the spec he wanted when choosing his car so he was chuffed when the salesman told him the car had it, that was all his boxes ticked iyswim.

Problem is, the dealership is miles away from where we live so it's not too easy to just pop back and I suspect he'll be brushed off easily on the phone. :confused:

He's also just told me that there were actually 2 different salesmen who said the same thing. :rolleyes: In a way, that's worse because if one denies he told him that, the other salesman involved will likely just back him up.

Ironically there was another dealer nearby who had the same car and did have the 6cd changer as well as full leather seats and he told son he would have matched the price that the first garage sold for. He feels like he's got second best a wee bit now.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would be tempted to go back with 6 cd's and approach the salesman all innocent and ask them to show you how to load the cd autochanger they told you about.
  • aliasojo
    Options
    Lol LandyAndy, he asked the bloke at the time and was told 'as far as I know, you just fire them all into the slot one after another'.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    aliasojo wrote: »
    Lol LandyAndy, he asked the bloke at the time and was told 'as far as I know, you just fire them all into the slot one after another'.

And so, with 20/20 hindsight, he should have produced 6 cds and said "Just show me that".:D

I think its worth going back but you will be at their mercy, I'm afraid, if you have nothing in writing.
  • aliasojo
    Options
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    And so, with 20/20 hindsight, he should have produced 6 cds and said "Just show me that".:D

Might be a bit late for son but I'll put that on my 'to do' checklist for future use. ;)
  • Kingsd316
    Kingsd316 Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 27 November 2009 at 4:46PM
    Options
    Hi, ive got an 06 Focus ST, if he has the shiney black Sony cd player (cant find a picture at the moment) you press the load button on the right hand side of the slot, wait for the screen to say ready, then put the first CD in, you need to repeat this for each CD.

Hope it helps

Edit: if it is this one then it IS a 6CD changer
    ford-focus-st-s5b.jpg
    :beer:
  • aliasojo
    edited 27 November 2009 at 5:03PM
    Options
    Thanks Kingsd316, at the risk of asking a silly question ....does the button say 'load' on it?

On the pictures in the Sony book, the diagrams and instructions show a button with the word load written on it. He does not have this anywhere on the fascia but he does have a button at the side of the cd that says cd/info. Might this be what you're talking about?

Edit: Your pic is identical to his player. The button to the right of the slot says cd/info.

2nd edit: Rechecked book, there are two identical pictures listed for the cd and the 6cd players. Unfortunately you can't make out the wording on the buttons. As the instructions talk about a 'load button' I'm assuming that will be the difference....the single player has the cd/info button and the 6 player has the load button.

Son has just phoned to say he's taken the car into a Ford garage on the passing and the person who came out to look at the car was only a young lad himself and he didn't know what the stereo was.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport