PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is wrong with my jar of honey?

Options

Comments

• huston_kw
    Options
    Your honey has just crystallised, it can happen in colder weather, you will have to stand them in hotter water so they go clear and running. I have before used kettle water and this has always worked, you'll need to leave them to stand in it for a while - hope this helps and good luck.

They may turn back to being crystallised when store again but you can just repeat the steps before you need to use it.
  • huston_kw
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it - it happens ;) You can put the jar into the microwave for a couple of mins on low power, and it'll revert to runny.

Penny,. x

Never thought of the microwave, may try this if it happens to me this year. I've started to store mine in my French dresser in the dining room, instead of larder and so far mine haven't turned.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I like crystallised honey - much nicer than the smooth stuff... but obviously not good if you need it runny!
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    I like crystallised honey - much nicer than the smooth stuff... but obviously not good if you need it runny!

Me too - set honey is so much less messy when you're trying to weigh it out ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • tandraig
    tandraig Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Options
    I love crystallised honey too! yeah its a good sign that your honey has gone like this! i just pop it into the microwave for a few seconds - runny hunny again.
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Options
    As a beekeeper, I can tell you that almost all runny honey crystallises eventually: how quickly depends on the flowers the bees have visited to produce it. For example, if the bees live near a rapeseed field, the honey goes solid almost before the beekeeper can get it out of the hives! Sunflower honey stays runny much longer, and acacia honey very long indeed. If your honey crystallises, it means indeed that it is pure and has not been tampered with. Never keep honey in the fridge, as there is no need for this and it will solidify much quicker. I also use the microwave method to make it liquid again for cooking.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • powershopper
    Options
    does anyone remember 'Sunny Spread' we had it in the post-war years, it was thick and like crystalised honey. It came in a little fat round nobbly jar, and us kids loved it. I suppose it would have been a sugar based honey substitute, can't remember tha last time I had it. Must have been about 10 I suppose.. aaah well, those were the days................
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    If you put the jar in the microwave make sure that you take the metal lid off or you could blow up the microwave - I know I did it once :o won't do it again
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    If you put the jar in the microwave make sure that you take the metal lid off or you could blow up the microwave - I know I did it once :o won't do it again

Also PLEASE make sure that there's nothing 'metallic' on the label (they sometimes have metallic writing or pictures) on the jar - something I also learned from experience :(.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I knew rape seed made for a VERY hard honey (there was a small holder near where I lived once and he cussed the year the local farmer planted nearly all his fields round our village with rapeseed! I thought it tasted ok - definitely a different flavour though! and as you say... nearly rock hard from the outset) but I had no idea that acacia or sunflower made for runnier honey :) Makes sense obviously but I've never thought about it before... I try to buy my honey locally because it helps with the husbands hayfever :) The closer to home the more likely it is to help with hayfever from the plants nearby apparently :) No idea if it's true but it also helps support local business so I don't really mind :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport