PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is wrong with my jar of honey?

Options
124»

Comments

• chella71
    chella71 Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all, wondering if I could pick your brains, just went to the store cupboard to grab my clear honey and it has sort of congealed and crystalised? Have I stored it wrong, does it do this anyway, it is in date but opened, once opened should I have then refridgerated it? And lastly but not least is it still ok to use, can I somehow restore it to original health :o

Thanks all

Chella
    Fan of Money Saving OS :j
    First mortgage 94,639.49
    Second mortgage £38,133.49 making overpayments of £75 per month from November '10 :T
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    it just happens - I find it happens quicker of you refridgerate. its totally fine and if you want it runny again then stand the jar in hot water. However it will set again after so its only a temporary fix!
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi chella,

This thread should help:

What is wrong with my jar of honey?

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • susyrosy
    susyrosy Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    microwave it in its jar for half a minute or so - like the hot water, it's a temporary fix. Honey will last forever - it's been found in Egyptian tombs and was still ok.

HTH
  • chella71
    chella71 Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    Excellent, panic over then, thank you all xx
    Fan of Money Saving OS :j
    First mortgage 94,639.49
    Second mortgage £38,133.49 making overpayments of £75 per month from November '10 :T
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Actually, if honey crystalises it means that it is very good honey, because it is natural thing for it to do. Only rubbish honey mixed with extra agents and being boiled for hours (which reduces quality of it's goodness) stays clear.

I personally would not go for the microwave tip, the more sudden high temperatures it has to withstand the more goodness it is loosing. I agree with the tip where you slowly heat it up in a bowl with hot water.
  • GetRealBabe
    GetRealBabe Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Any wrote: »
    Actually, if honey crystalises it means that it is very good honey, because it is natural thing for it to do. Only rubbish honey mixed with extra agents and being boiled for hours (which reduces quality of it's goodness) stays clear.

Hi

My Asda Smart Price honey crystallised. Good to know it's quality.
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 089-Finally got a signature.:rotfl::j

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport