PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is wrong with my jar of honey?

Options

Comments

• benood
    benood Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Options
    We put the honey on top of a radiator rather than use the microwave method.
  • KittyBoo_2
    Options
    Thankyou for your replies.
    I am off to try this now.
    The honey is gorgeous and I buy it from a local guy and have it on my porridge. Yummy
    NSK Zombie # SFD 7/15 Food Bank £0/£5
    Food
    £73.57/£122 (incl. pet food)
    Petrol £20/£40
    Exercise 2/15 Outings 1/2
    Debt :eek: £18,917
  • jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,556 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 November 2009 at 7:18PM
    Options
    does anyone remember 'Sunny Spread' we had it in the post-war years, it was thick and like crystalised honey. It came in a little fat round nobbly jar, and us kids loved it. I suppose it would have been a sugar based honey substitute, can't remember tha last time I had it. Must have been about 10 I suppose.. aaah well, those were the days................

Ahh, yes! I used to love Sunny Spread. It was a real treat for me at my grandma's because my mother wouldn't let me have it as she said it wasn't 'proper honey'!!!! I especially loved the bit on the top - it was more crystalised than the rest!

editied to say that I was a war baby!!!
  • oldsam
    oldsam Posts: 98 Forumite
    Options
    Put on hot porridge instead of refined sugar - more tasty - plus it healthy - some of the
    best honey is produced in urban areas - the bees are spoilt for choice of flowers and trees
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My local builder who I use for odd jobs that I can't manage keeps bees and always hands his customers a jar when he's finished his jobs.This too is hard and set, but delicious on toast.Great customer care as well as everyone knows John the builder and his bees.He also does voluntary work for the local council if they ring him up if someone has phoned about bees swarming, and he will go off and rescue them.He did this last year whilst he was doing some work on my house but I didn't mind as he is a good builder and very keen to help keep people from spraying them because they are frightened of them.
  • canspendnomore
    Options
    I have a couple of jars of honey that have crystallised (one in a glass jar and the other in a plastic squeezable container).

Can these be saved, I tried putting into a jug of boiled water but it wasn't sufficient to resurrect it.

I only bought the second one because I didn't know how to sort it out, so I don't want to throw them both away!

Thanks in advance.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    I have a couple of jars of honey that have crystallised (one in a glass jar and the other in a plastic squeezable container).

Can these be saved, I tried putting into a jug of boiled water but it wasn't sufficient to resurrect it.

I only bought the second one because I didn't know how to sort it out, so I don't want to throw them both away!

Thanks in advance.

You can put the glass jar in the microwave on low, and the honey will soften again.

I'd not risk the plastic, but you could cut it away and transfer to a ceramic or glass container.

Do you need runny honey? In baking, set honey can easily be used in place of runny :)
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • honeybun16
    Options
    the glass one can go into the microwave, this will sort it out, check the plastic one first though so it does not melt on you
    2 adults 4 children Eldest 14 yrs old youngest 1yr old,
    Total Credit July £38K Aug £37K Sept £37K Oct £33K Nov £26K Dec £60K May £56K Nov £52K Apr £21K :eek:
    What most people need to learn in life is how to love people and use things instead of using people and loving things
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Put the glass jar in a pan of water,then gently heat the whole lot up till it simmer's should take about 30 mins,that's what I did with mine last month and it worked,hth. ps:I would be tempted to try that with the plastic bottle, but I'v never had honey in plastic so don't know if it would work.
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    I've just found this thread on this same topic; I'll merge this later to keep ideas together.
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport