🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Sky Maintenance Services contract scam?

Options
13»

Comments

• spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    And the first year is covered by Sky anyway (both for equipment and callout).

Yup & if your box goes faulty & you don't have multiroom,(to see if you can still recieve channels on the working one) as a mate if you can check your system with their box & then buy a new one off E-Bay/Car boot sale.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,334 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had fun with one of these the other day , kept asking him for my customer account number and postcode and if they were officially sanctioned by sky to cal , to which he said "yes". I proceeded to tell him that I had google his number ( 008001218143) and that it was a scam and Sky had told me the same to which I got "I can promise I am from Sky" . I then told him that from that point I was recording the call and asked him to repeat that they were officially sanctioned by Sky TV to call me , strangely enough he then decided that " I was wasting his time and he was terminating the call" to which I replied that I was requesting that he suppress my details from their database and that I would report them to TPS if they did not comply ( please suppress my details is what TPS tell you to request )

motto is.....keep the jokers on the phone as long as possible and have some fun
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    edited 8 December 2010 at 2:15PM
    Options
    I took over a call from a 'sky' representative this morning, at the point where he was asking my mum for her bank details to renew a service cover policy. i told him that I don't fall for this kind of scam and he told me that I was using inappropriate language to speak to him....

His number was 01792 689216 and when I rang back to try to find more details I got an answerphone message asking me to call an 0844 number. I am really infuriated that he tried to rip off my elderly mother!
  • spumph
    Options
    Hi All,

Not sure if this is relevant to the specific company you're discussing but I just had a call from an unlisted number (foreign call centre) attempting the same maintenance scam.

These people clearly know you have a sky contract (Why is that Sky?) but really no details beyond that.

My 'representative' was on a hiding to nothing when he told me he was from Sky...and then asked if I have it? Cretin!

He declined to continue the call after I pointed this out.

Seems that the UK version is more aggressive in their approach, however, if their number is available for retrieval simply report to Trading Standards. If they have enough complaints, they'll go after the little scumbags.

Have a good day.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    spumph wrote: »
    Hi All,

Not sure if this is relevant to the specific company you're discussing but I just had a call from an unlisted number (foreign call centre) attempting the same maintenance scam.

These people clearly know you have a sky contract (Why is that Sky?) but really no details beyond that.

My 'representative' was on a hiding to nothing when he told me he was from Sky...and then asked if I have it? Cretin!

He declined to continue the call after I pointed this out.

Seems that the UK version is more aggressive in their approach, however, if their number is available for retrieval simply report to Trading Standards. If they have enough complaints, they'll go after the little scumbags.

Have a good day.

No they don't. Any more than the 'PC Healthcare' scammers know that you have a PC. More than a third of the properties in the UK have a Sky sub, so every other call or so is going to reach a subscriber.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    No they don't. Any more than the 'PC Healthcare' scammers know that you have a PC. More than a third of the properties in the UK have a Sky sub, so every other call or so is going to reach a subscriber.

OR when you sign up for Sky & you tick that little box allowing you to be contacted by third parties,these companies buy the mailshot..I've had Sky for years & I've only be called once as far as I can recall,& even then when I told the idiot I worked for Sky,he still tried to sell me the cover...
  • madjock1
    Options
    Please repoprt these companies to trading standards several companies were closed last year for a simmilar practice
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    To be fair, I don't see the point of "protection" for Sky. You can replace a broken box on eBay quite cheaply, and if worst comes to worst, you phone up and cancel, they offer you a retention deal for a new box, and if they don't, you re-sign up under a new name a few days later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport