PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

First Time Buyer's Guide To Mortgages

Options

Comments

• agrajag_2
    Options
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice, My partner and I are first time buyers and have been thinking of buying a place together for sometime; anyway, yesterday we went to view some properties and we both really really liked one of the houses and so the estate agent has put us in touch with a broker who is going to call me tomorrow.

The estate agent was hopeless - she couldn't answer any of our questions, she just kept refering us to the sheet she'd given us, anyway! One thing she did tell us was that it is important not to 'insult' the seller by offering them an unrealistic offer. The house we like is for sale at £95,000, it's a large 3 bedroomed house with loads of potential, but it also needs a lot work. From what we can gather, an elderly couple were living there and one of them has passed away and the other has gone into a home (so sad!) and a family member is selling the house. The house needs a new bathroom, kitchen, boiler, rewiring and a bit more, but we don't mind the work because were looking for a long term investment. Anyway, my question is...

Is the house priced at £95000 because thats what it's worth eventhough it needs all the work done or, could we put in a lower offer anyway (say £80,000) and risk offending the seller??

There's also a retention on the property...argh, questions questions questions!

Thanks

for the love of god, don't listen to the estate agent!

i'd also think twice about going to a broker recommended by the EA, it somewhat ruins your negotiating position if they know what you can actually afford. they'll take you for as much as they can.

also, don't worry about offending someone you've never met before and will never meet ever again. if you over pay by 15k, its hardly reassuring to say 'oh well at least i didn't offend anyone' as you struggle with the new mortgage. put another way, they wouldn't volunteer to give you 15k for no reason whatsoever; so you shouldn't either.

HTH
    Winners never quit and quitters never win

But if you never quit AND you never win, you're an idiot.:doh:
  • sweetchilly
    Options
    I am a First time home buyer, Yesterday I have agreed a property deal. I have been expecting 25% money investment through a Key worker scheme, but unlucky they don’t have any funding until next April, that given me a big shock.
    I have visited couple of high street banks, most of them asking 15-20% deposit of the property value (which is not affordable), and few of them agree with 10% deposit, but their interest rate is 6.99 – 7.14 %, which is too high.

Could any one please help me with, how to get a good deal?
    My credit history is good
    Total Debts - £11697.29
    Total Savings - £4500.00
    Total Assets value - £26126.62
  • sweetchilly
    Options
    HSBC offer 90% as standard or 95% if you are a graduate. Halifax were offering 97% until a month ago (b0ll0cks, wanted to take that offer!!!) but have since dropped to 95% which is still high compared to the rest of the market.

We are saving for a deposit but I don't think we'll ever save enough because they keep moving the goalpoasts :cry:

Yesterday I have visited my local high street banks
    Nationwide - Minimum Deposit 15% interest rate 6.28% for 2 years fixed minimum
    Halifax - Minimum Deposit 5% interest rate 7.09% for 5 years fixed minimum
    Lloyds TSB - Minimum Deposit 20%
    Barclys - Minimum Deposit 20%
    HSBC - Minimum Deposit 10% interest rate 6.99% for 2 years fixed minimum
    Total Debts - £11697.29
    Total Savings - £4500.00
    Total Assets value - £26126.62
  • pinkhearts_2
    Options
    We are also having a massive problem getting a good rate. We had been offered a mortgage through Nationwide only to be told after paying out for the valuation 2 weeks later that it shouldn't have been offered to us as you need 25% deposit. We have 15%, I mean the base rate is 3%, mortgages are double this!!!!! The next best rate is a fixed for 2 years with Nationwide at 6.19% with a £995 fee. We initially got offered a varible rate which we were told is coming down to 4.69% with no fee e.t.c now because of there error our mortgage is looking like another £160 a month
  • jig
    jig Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    Is there any websites, comparison site that you can clearly see rates and compare?
  • susanqy
    Options
    I still have enough money to buy a new house, the house is small but the point is I do not want to loan
  • daks
    Options
    thanks for the advice:j
  • thriftymoo
    thriftymoo Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya

I'm saving for a deposit on a house and just needed a little bit of advice about mortgages and how much i should really save. I have 2 defaults on my credit file that i have paid off but i believe they wont come off my report until 2013 (and i'd like a house well before then!) and i realise that this will make it harder to get a mortgage. I don't want a massive mortgage but was wondering if anyone knows roughly what i would be offered with this credit rating and a salary of roughly £15k? and what type of percentage of the value i would be able to get?

Thanks for any help!:o

Lysa
    Aug £10 a day £0/£1000
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya

I'm saving for a deposit on a house and just needed a little bit of advice about mortgages and how much i should really save. I have 2 defaults on my credit file that i have paid off but i believe they wont come off my report until 2013 (and i'd like a house well before then!) and i realise that this will make it harder to get a mortgage. I don't want a massive mortgage but was wondering if anyone knows roughly what i would be offered with this credit rating and a salary of roughly £15k? and what type of percentage of the value i would be able to get?

Thanks for any help!:o

Lysa

Best case would be approx 4x salary and bare minimum 5% deposit (plus legal fees, valuation fee, moving costs etc)

That said the default could well cause you problems meaning a higher deposit would be needed, perhaps 10-15%.
  • Orlando_Virgin
    Options
    Afternoon all,

Some advice if needed if anyone could be so kind.

After 5 years together, my girlfriend and I are in the process of saving the deposit for our first house together, it will be both of ours first houses (if you know what I mean) and we're both a bit muddled about the steps we should be taking first.

Would it be best to save the 10% deposit first before looking at any houses/mortgage deals whatsoever? Or should we be looking for meeting with advisors already at this stage. I earn around 24k before tax and my girlfriend around 16k.

We are obviously both anxious to get on with buying our first house but don't want to make any rash decisions etc. and wind up with more than we can handle before we even start. We are both debt free and have saved up around 3k so far towards the deposit although we are both aware this won't be enough. We keep hearing about government schemes, new houses, offers, etc. if anyone could give any helpful advice on what to do first that would be great.

BTW, my partner said she has found a site called Mypropertyhero.co.uk? Whats the catch with companies like this? Do they take a cut?

Thanks
    OV
    It's always darkest before the dawn.

"You are sheep amongst wolves, be wise as serpents, yet innocent as doves."
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills