PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

First Time Buyer's Guide To Mortgages

Options

Comments

• weeman4
    Options
    hello, i was hoping someone could help me i have been renting my council home for 30 yrs and im thinking of buyin it as im entilted to at least 55% off the market value for bein in the property for so long,with the equity i feel sure i will get a mortgage but would it be advisable for me to buy now with the intrest rates bein the way they are, i just feel the longer i leave it my age will go against me as im 46 now
  • Aradiaajiin
    Options
    Nat14 wrote: »
    Would someone mind giving some advice please. Myself and my partner are both First Time Buyers however we have no deposit and just £1k in the bank. We want to buy a house but really scared due to the amount of money that we will have to borrow. I owe £6k in cards and also have an £11k loan which will cease in 3 years ( I know, I know!). I have looked around and don't know if we should go direct to a bank which is offering 100% +, £175k for the property and £14k on top to pay off as we see fit ( I think this can also be used for fees as well )plus £1k cash back. Or if we should go to an advisor? My partner only has a total of 5k worth of debt I earn £28,100 plus a yearly bonus of £500 and my partner earns £16k plus commission each month of £400 on average. Any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks

Best Western can give you 100% mortgage... but they will make you pay everything back that's the only annoying thing
  • Thrifty_2
    Thrifty_2 Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    anthony 20081 your a SPAMMER :mad:
    Cashback earned since joining MSE:-
    Greasy Palms £372.83,Topcashback £57.15, R-Points 735 points, Cashback kings £131.28,My Shopping Rewards
    £37.30, Reward Circle 540 Points, Quidco £163.31
    :TPlay To Win!
  • ailynclaire
    Options
    Hello everyone, need help please. Me and my husband decided its time to buy a property. Yesterday we viewed a very nice 2 bed flat with garden that we really like but it has only 87 years lease remaining and the guide price is £189750, how much do you think we will offer on this property?
  • bobbill
    Options
    where is the property what are the prices like for similar properties, these are the questions you need answers otherwise your just saying what you feel you want to pay against what the true market value is
  • Mr_I_Havenoida
    Options
    My next door neighbour want to sell their house to use at drop price. Due to problems we are first time buyers who are renting at the moment. Please could some point use in the right direction should we go with the bank or Mortgages advicer.
  • Mr_I_Havenoida
    Options
    My next door neighbour want to sell their house to use at drop price. Due to problems we are first time buyers who are renting at the moment. Please could some point use in the right direction should we go with the bank or Mortgages advicer.
  • alimcg86
    Options
    I was just wondering if I could get some information/advice from your good advisers here.
    I am wanting to move out from my parents home, and really don't want to rent as it feels like throwing money away. I'm on my way now to building up a 10% deposit. The house I'm after is a new build and we can get it for £120,000.
    My salary is £31,500 before tax, in the current climate am I likely to get a mortgage based on the purchase price being 4x salary?

Thanks in advance for any help ...
  • Purplemoo
    Options
    I am currently in the process of buying a first time home and there are three agents associated with the particular property. I approached one of them and have made an offer on said propery but the estate agent didn't seem very assuring as to when he would let the owner know etc. That he wanted me to come in for a meeting to discuss my financial vaibility is this common practice? Is there any unwritten rule about sticking with one agent?
    Any advice would be greatly received
  • jellyjelly84
    Options
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice, My partner and I are first time buyers and have been thinking of buying a place together for sometime; anyway, yesterday we went to view some properties and we both really really liked one of the houses and so the estate agent has put us in touch with a broker who is going to call me tomorrow.

The estate agent was hopeless - she couldn't answer any of our questions, she just kept refering us to the sheet she'd given us, anyway! One thing she did tell us was that it is important not to 'insult' the seller by offering them an unrealistic offer. The house we like is for sale at £95,000, it's a large 3 bedroomed house with loads of potential, but it also needs a lot work. From what we can gather, an elderly couple were living there and one of them has passed away and the other has gone into a home (so sad!) and a family member is selling the house. The house needs a new bathroom, kitchen, boiler, rewiring and a bit more, but we don't mind the work because were looking for a long term investment. Anyway, my question is...

Is the house priced at £95000 because thats what it's worth eventhough it needs all the work done or, could we put in a lower offer anyway (say £80,000) and risk offending the seller??

There's also a retention on the property...argh, questions questions questions!

Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure