PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Store cupboard challenge

Options

Comments

• Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    What does Kuku mean? Where does it originate?

It wasn't my recipe so I'm not sure, I googled it and it seems to mean chicken in Kenyan ??? ;D

So I think it's an old KFC recipe (Kan't Find the Chicken) ;D
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    6. chicken something - have two breasts in the freezer, but stuck for ideas. Not really that big on chicken, ohh, have tonnes of noodles from local chinese supermarket so will do a couple of strifry's minus the veg!!!!!!! Got onions, but would have to buy a pepper or two.

How about:

Catrina's chicken and brocolli pasta (about 22nd post down) I've done this using whatever veg I have in the freezer (best with brocolli/ cauli type rather than peas) but now I keep a bag of brocolli in the freezer cause it's so yummy ;D or;

Cut the chicken into strips and fry 1/2 way through add paprika, hot chilli powder, cumin, oregano (2:2:1:1 ratio) for a fajita type flavour and serve on top of the noodles (if you buy pepper add that in with the chicken) you can make it cooler by using normal chilli power and mixing spices into a watery paste with some water first or;

A packet of stuffing mix (not made up, left dry) or a mixture of whatever herbs you've got that 'go' together, some flour. Mix the flour and herbs together and spread out on a plate; rinse the chicken under the tap and leave a bit wet. roll the chicken until it is coated in the flour/ herb or stuffing mix. Put on a baking tray and bung in the oven until cooked. This is from a weight watchers recipe book so it's low fat (unless you serve it with home made chips ::))
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    One really tasty recipe is morroccan spiced chickpeas.

uses a tin of tomatoes, a tin of chickpeas (drained&rinsed), an onion (chopped), 1/2 teaspoon each dried cumin, coriander, little sprinkle of tumeric. Optional extras: some chopped spinach or cabbage (green or white), yoghurt to serve.

The recipe calls for frying the onion, adding the spices, then the tins etc.. but I can't fry in my uni and I have found it works just fine if you just throw everything in the pan and simmer it until the chickpeas are nice and tender and the tomatoes have cooked down a bit (about 10/15 mins?)

Add spinach about 5 minutes from the end though if you use that.

Serve with rice or pitta or naan and a dollop of yoghurt, yummy :)
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sounds a bit like chana dahl that I used to eat when i was at uni :)
    Blah
  • jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,555 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

It wasn't my recipe so I'm not sure, I googled it and it seems to mean chicken in Kenyan  ???  ;D

So I think it's an old KFC recipe (Kan't Find the Chicken)  ;D

Love it - that'll do for me! ;D
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Tea for two tonight - 75p...

Half a cabbage reduced to 16p
    Garlic baguette reduced to 39p
    Tin of dented baked beans reduced to 20p

Btw, can I just say thanks to whoever it was who coined the "tin of dented" peas, beans, whatever - it really tickled me.

Anyone going to compile a recipe book that calls for half a pound of dented potatoes? ;)
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• sce37
    sce37 Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    1 large chicken reduced from £6 to £1.75 in freezer. Made sunday roast - fed four.
    Sunday night made stock from carcass (have frozen part of stock). The remainder I whizzed with the chicken bits from the bones and veg in stock and made a soup for my lunch today which I had with fried bread croutons (these were made from stale loaf).
    For dinner tonight chicken, mushroom and bacon bake mixed with remainder of chicken soup - fed four.
    Still loads of cooked chicken left for tomorrow.
    Any ideas?
    I say what I like, I like what I say!
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    2. risotto - pinched from this thread as i have Rosemary in freezer

Poor woman

6. have two breasts in the freezer

Yeah - figured you might have after reading no. 2....

I'll get me coat
  • Mrs_Thrift
    Options
    Inspired by this thread, and Ssaver's on the Marriage, etc. board, Mr Thrift and I made a list of the freezer contents last night, instead of crying "there's nothing in the house" and heading straight to the shops after work as we do most weeks. (OK, I was inspired by the threads, and Mr T was inspired by me saying "look in the freezer and shout out what's there so I can write a list!" ;))

We've found enough food to feed us for at least two weeks, I'd say, without doing any shopping, and then probably another week with just stocking up on bits to go with the other bits in the freezer, fridge and cupboards! :D I'm looking forward to a feast of delights over the next few weeks! ;D
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    We used to do the same go shopping every week and sometimes several times in between when the freezer was full and there was no need. Now I make sure I use what I have and this has cut our shopping bill right down.

You havent heard much from me on this thread as I'm still ploughing through the shopping I bought the day I made the original post!
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure