OberonSH's DFW Diary Thread - 1 Woman, 1 Toddler & A Whole Lotta Debt!

Options

Comments

• Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oberon,

will forgive your warhammering if you forgive my MTG. It's a VERY cheap night out compared to 2 bottles of champers and a dish of oysters, so I think you're allowed!
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • dottyanne
    dottyanne Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey You - Only just noticed you started your own thread - nice one mate!! Hope things ok at the mo - send me a PM when you have chance to cheer me up!! Ive had the week from hell myself - hectic!! Hope the little one is ok too - speak soon hun....dotty xx
    Focusing on clearing the credit cards in 2018 :T
  • OberonSH
    OberonSH Posts: 1,792 Forumite
    Options
    Ooooh, i've been a baaaad girl. I went out last night for a friends leaving do (he's going back to Finland) and spent money earmarked for my VAT bill on a new outfit, and then a great night out.

You know what? I'm very happy I did. Last time I went out was November, and I looked fantastic (if I do say so myself) and had a bl**dy brilliant time. I have the money ready to put back from my mad ebaying and amazoning, and I don't feel bad at all about spending the money. I needed it, and it was a great night out.

I think sometimes we can get hung up too much the other way - ooh, can't spend anything at all if it's not groceries or essential, and I think it's important to remember that we are still allowed a life. Itwould have been a terrible waste if Id gone out, not enjoyed myself and then spend a few days wailing and gnashing my teeth about what i shuld have spent on instead. Of course, I'm not saying we should all go out and spend like crazy again, cos that's why most of us are here in the first place. I just don't think we should beat ourselves up if we spend on 'frivolous' things if we have budgeted for them, and are not slipping back into our old ways. Yes, I am ot able to chuck the £100 at my debt, but Ihad a good night out on it, and still have the money to make my basic payments.

I hoe everyone else is well, I'm feeling really positive and recharged today (must have been that funny green cocktail I drank - Kermit's revenge I think it was called), and wanted to shaer it all with you. We're doing it, guys and gals, we're getting there and we're all doing really well. I'm proud of myself and you all should be too
    This year I'm getting organised once and for all, and going to buy a house with my wonderful other half. And that' s final!

Current Pay Off Target : £1500 :mad:
  • CosmoCat
    CosmoCat Posts: 681 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    glad you had a nice night.

you're right, we are allowed a life. and i think if you are able to justify your spend (as you did), then you should enjoy the money that you make, without, as you say, falling into our old lifestyle. it's not that we spend money, it's that we spend too much of other people's money which gets us into trouble.

you're recharged and positive, which is brilliant. and i know you will enjoy all your dfw efforts this week because you had a wonderful weekend.
    MFW Newbie - #17. (#116 in 2019)
    New Mortgage at Nov 19 - £273 499
    Current Balance - £268 225
    Want to cut down 26 year mortgage by 9 years!
    New MF date 2036 :dance:
  • OberonSH
    Options
    Well boys and girls, today has been a very quiet day business wise, took about 2/3rds of what I normally do. DD was very good though, and got home and did a bt of cooking to use up stuff about to go off. Cauiflower in a red wine sauce (to use up cauli), quiche lorraine (to use up eggs), Alpine eggs (last 2 eggs, had for tea with salad). Was doing my shopping list at work with my meal plan, and a friend popped by. She was absolutely amazed that we could survive on such a small list for a week - it was 5 items.

Explained what I did, made a menu after looking in the cupboards and then got the extra stuff I needed, but I think she thought I was bonkers. I spent a total of about £8 on the groceries, and that should do us this week. The great thing is that a lot of the stuff I've cooked tonight will find it's way into the freezer and will become next weeks freezer meals, as most sauce jars etc are deigned for family of 4, and as there's only 1.5 of us means a jar of cook in sauce and some frozen veg does us for around 4 nights! We're easily pleased, me and DD!

Having to get hold of VAT/Rossendales, as the cheque I sent off for my VAT bill may bouce - forgot about my loan payment going out, and I may not get the funds back into the business account quick enough. Plus my main supplier has been on and politely asked if I'm going to sort out my £1,000 90 day overdue account. Told them I'll do my very best to pay off half the amount this week, and the rest next week, which is doable. They're very understanding, as apparently business is quiet all over in our trade.

Hope everyone had a DFW kinda day, and that we've all remembered that every penny thrown at our debts is one less penny we owe.
    This year I'm getting organised once and for all, and going to buy a house with my wonderful other half. And that' s final!

• In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    Well done you - sounds like you're doing really wel & motivated. Also good that you had a great night out - we all need them or we'd go a bit loopy and if you've planned it in all the better! Enjoy!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• OberonSH
    Options
    yup, only slightly homicidal at having to give some stupid old bird all my precious 2pound coins as I ran out of change. She bought some buttons and handed me a tenner, and I was out of fivers. I could have strangled her. I'm becoming dangerously Gollum-like about my £2 coins..............my precioussssesssssss..........

• OberonSH
    Options
    Today is not a fantastic day. Don't get me wrong, business is doing well, another set of stuff has gone on ebay (Fishface - how did the diving gear go?) and Child managed to get less food down her front than went in her mouth.

I had a call from The Monster From The Black Lagoon AKA The (Soon To Be - Get A Move On Scunthorpe County Court) Ex Hubby. Is suicidal, wants to come home, and has decided now is a perfect time to ask me to take him back. BUT FIRST he accuses me of playing away our entire relationship, and telling me I'm a bad mother. Hmm, wonder what the weather's like on his planet?!!! :mad: :mad: Argh argh argh why oh why on God's clean earth did I get with that man and his psychosis? And does anyone know how to say 'Get bent' in Swahili?

For those who don't know the story, this man left DD (then aged 10 months) and I on New Years Eve to move back to Manchester to 'Get His Head Together'(tm). This apparently involved moving in with a ..... lady of reasonably priced love and her 4 teen children. He turned up to his dad's 60th with her and said children in tow, telling the family he was never going back to me, as I'd slept around and they'd better get used to Pauline The Wonder Dog. At the same time I was being told 'I love you, I'm coming home soon, getting sorted now'. I got told about this troll and her brood by my father-in-law. Oh, and I'm not just calling the hideous adulterous swamp-donkey from Hell a working girl cos she slept with my hubby (and then proceeded to get my number and tell me all about it) - she really DOES work in the Oldest Profession In The World. He got a bit of a shock when he found out....

Sorry about the rant guys, not particularly DFW (unless you count the money I save not being married to a Money-Moron (tm) :D ) just wanted to get that off my chest.

Hope you're all doing fantastically, I had my first ever No Spend day today, not even bus fare, and am chuffed to little choccy biccies about it.

• QueenB.
    QueenB. Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Loving your thread so far, your posts make me laugh and it is great to see how you are doing.

Will be checking out that travel ticket machine to see if i have been overpaying LOL.

Keep it.
    Success means having to worry about every thing in the world......EXCEPT MONEY. Johnny Cash

Cross stitch Cafe member 81.
  • Imelda
    Imelda Posts: 1,399 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Oberon,
    Your post has really cheered me up! It seems like you have been through a lot but still manage to be positive and upbeat. You sound like a great mother and are well rid of the Monster from the Black Lagoon (hee hee, I love it). He's probably well in debt if he has to pay for it every night.....:rotfl:
    Saving for an early retirement!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport