OberonSH's DFW Diary Thread - 1 Woman, 1 Toddler & A Whole Lotta Debt!

in Debt free diaries
1.4K replies 81.2K views
Hey all,

Hope no-one minds (and nuts to you if you do! :D;) ) but I'd like to start a DFW bloggy type thing, cos (and this s going to sound soooo sad) I have no family round me, and I don't discuss my finances with my friends, so here's about the only place I can let off steam about my financial situation. Plus maybe it'll help some other people who maybe are in the same boat.

Well today was a good day. Not only did I post off my VAT payments (in 2 halves - nearly fell off my chair when VAT [STRIKE]monster[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]freakbag[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]disgrace to human race[/STRIKE] officer agreed to me doing this) but I also posted out loads of Amazon & Ebay stuff which has earnt me a nice little sum to put towards my debt.

DD threw up her lunch, but seems absolutely fine. Was grumpy about being put to bed with toast and milk for tea, but once she starts throwing up she tends not to stop for a bit, and I wasn't going to risk anything heavy on her little tum.

Feeling quite good money wise, paid off one supplier this week, so that's a bit of a boost. Got a letter from Rossendales telling me I'm behind on the £120 I promised monthly on the bills [STRIKE]monster[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]freakbag[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]disgrace to human race[/STRIKE] Ex Hubby ran up, was sure it wasn't due til next week at least as they only agreed 2 weeks ago, but still, was planning on getting it paid early anyways.

So tonight I'm settling down with some knitting and Red Dwarf DVD, possible a book and bath, def. early night. No MSE past 9pm for me.......... well, maybe just til 10pm............
This year I'm getting organised once and for all, and going to buy a house with my wonderful other half. And that' s final!

Current Pay Off Target : £1500 :mad:

Replies

• In_Search_Of_MeIn_Search_Of_Me Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    Just wanted to send a hug and say keep up the good work! Its great having your own debt diary as help see how well you've done and can be quite cathartic! Hope you have a good eve with chilling; tomorrow is a new day!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• CosmoCatCosmoCat Forumite
    681 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    well you've certainly got a reader in me.
    keep up the good work and hope you're already in bed!!
    MFW Newbie - #17. (#116 in 2019)
    New Mortgage at Nov 19 - £273 499
    Current Balance - £268 225
    Want to cut down 26 year mortgage by 9 years!
    New MF date 2036 :dance:
  • James240James240 Forumite
    16.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    keep up the good work will be watching this thread closley x
    Savings Total 2023: £950.78
  • vyvyan_2vyvyan_2 Forumite
    653 Posts
    500 Posts
    Just to say I loved your post, fellow Dwarf fan! :beer:
  • QueenB.QueenB. Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I think these debt blogs are a great way to help keep you motivated and just to chat things over. Like you I have no family around and even though some of my friends know about my debt it can be difficult to talk about so i definitly find MSE a way for me to do that.

I will be adding your thread to the others i hate to miss.

Good luck.
    Success means having to worry about every thing in the world......EXCEPT MONEY. Johnny Cash

Cross stitch Cafe member 81.
  • isgmanisgman Forumite
    490 Posts
    Sound like you are getting to grips with the "problems",, well done,
    PS..Red Dwarf,,, Great TV
    :beer: Keep your Chin up.. it can only get better :beer:
    :confused: I'm one of those people who was born to have money, :confused:
    :confused: but I just don't have any!:confused:
  • OberonSHOberonSH Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Hey all,

What a day. Thursdays I have a childminder in (my only extravangance - that and co-op's own brand stilton) and I go to..... um...... can't believe I'm going to admit this...... Warhammer gaming club to play wargames with little plastic elves. Gods it sounds so geeky when you say it out loud. Still, keeps me amused and off the streets. I used the ticket machine instead of the window today, as some bloke was taking ages and I discovered that I'd been paying DOUBLE for my return ticket to Grimsby. I was paying £5.80 each way (with railcard, another tip I picked up from this site) and a return with my card only costs me £5.90!! Instatly halved my travel costs in one lucky swoop. Thank goodness for slow fat men who can't get it into their heads that this train doesn't go to Edinburgh, sir. It goes to Cleethorpes.

Today's lesson children? Believe not the British Rail employee, for they lie. Check out your rail ticket info online, as the poor overworked man behind the desk cannot be expected to be able to give you correct information on the tickets he sells.

Got a shock when I came to buy my wonderful half the previous price ticket, as my card was declined. I instantly panicked and started the automatic run-though we all all do: what's gone out? What's going out? Why don't I have any money? Then I checked my balance at the cash machine, and there was enough money in, as today is WTC day, so the machine lies too. It got me thinking though - one day we will all be able to stick our cards in the machine and not worry if it's going to laugh at us, or make that patronising beeping sound that the entire store can hear and means 'You must be joking! Declined? No bl**dy way more like!' One day in the not too distant future.

Right, well getting on with Ebaying things like a mad woman before I pop off to bed. Resisting the urge to get some cheese, as I know I'm not hungry, and I'm going to be a bit slimmer as well as debt free.

Hope you all had a wonderful, moneysaving-yet-still-living-fantastically-thank-you-very-much sort of day. We're getting there - every day we're getting there!
    DD is getting her back teeth, and so is a bit mardy at the moment. Got a
    This year I'm getting organised once and for all, and going to buy a house with my wonderful other half. And that' s final!

Current Pay Off Target : £1500 :mad:
  • lynzpowerlynzpower Forumite
    25.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    OOH love hearing how your getting on :T
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • CosmoCatCosmoCat Forumite
    681 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    seems you had a wonderful day yourself. you really keep me going with your daily musings. keep it up.
    MFW Newbie - #17. (#116 in 2019)
    New Mortgage at Nov 19 - £273 499
    Current Balance - £268 225
    Want to cut down 26 year mortgage by 9 years!
    New MF date 2036 :dance:
  • Hey Oberon,

Keep it up chick! Your diary is inspirational and I hope you have a lovely day today.

Over £5 saving on trains every time you make that journey, what a result!

scottishspendaholic x
    MBNA = £4,000 / Next = £925 (approx. tbc on 19/8)
    Tesco = £2,910.11 / Smile overdraft = £500
    Bank of Scotland = £2,782.83
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals