New to Oil Central Heating- advice needed!!

Options
Hi everyone,

We have just converted from soild fule glass fronted fire to oil central heating. I just need to ask a few questions and would appreciate some advice! 3 bedroom semi.

We are using a timer at the minute- on for an hour from 7am to 8am. Then it comes on again from 5.30pm- to 8.30pm or 8pm. Is this ok? The bedrooms at night dont seem to be heating up really well. However the radiators are warm etc and everything is working fine. We have TRV's on all radiators apart from one in the hall. The living room is heating up fine but its not really warm at times. We were told that this heat is different type of heat i.e. coming only from radiator as opposed to radiator and fire so it will move around the room differently? How long does it take for a room to be heated?

i was thinking it may also be because the has been off all day and will take longer to heat? im not sure though

Sorry for long post but am getting used to this new heating!:rolleyes:

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

The timing really depends on when you get up and go to bed, I assume you are out all day?

Personally I like the heating to come on 30 mins before I get up and go off about an hour before I go to bed.

If the rooms don't get warm enough, then turn up the TRVs.

If the room take a long time to heat up, then possibly the water in the CH system(not hot water for taps) is not hot enough. Or it could be the radiators are not sized correctly.

Buy a cheap thermometer and check room temperatures.

You should have no trouble heating the house in these mild temperatures. If you are having problems now, it will be a disaster when the cold weather sets in later in the winter.
  • MW1310
    MW1310 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm actually sitting here in tears, the house is not warm and its been on for nearly 3 hours. Tried moving furniture that was blocking the radiator in my room to see if that helps. Its pretty pointless turning it all at all if its not doing its purpose. Water heats up fine and is really warm. It may be its just not on long enough?

Also we have a Hortsmann timer and have it said to 'TWICE' as I said in my previous post. However if I need heat during the day for an hour say, can I just switch it on to '24 hours' and then back to 'TWICE' so it will be ready to come on as timed?
  • justjohn
    justjohn Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    it should be no different too gas
    Was the old solid fuel fire a central heating system?? if so the oil should be better...
  • justjohn
    Options
    if its been on for 3 hours it should be warm ..Whats your trv set at on the rads??
    Have you got a room stat??
  • MW1310
    MW1310 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Yes it was a central heating system. The TRV is 3 in the room im in, 2 in the other bedroom and 4 downstairs (was 3 most night before). Other nights it has been fine but I just dont think its getting the house comfortable. The TRV downstairs turned the radiator off but to me the room wasnt roasting. i was sitting near the door however the part of the room near the radiator was warm. Is it just taking a while to heat the room?

Also could you help with the timer Q if possible?
  • justjohn
    Options
    ok if its a new system radiators may need bled for air.
    as an example i get up with my kids at 7:30 heating is on 7-8 off too work 9
    back 4:30 heating back on 4-8.30

trv's in my 2 living rooms are set at 3.5-4
    all other rooms are set at 3

There is usually one rad fully open this is in my hall

We run a heatslave 26/32 its a monster and temp is set on that for heat 1/3rd max.

We converted the system from a multifuel fired central heating system and also use a woodburner in one of the livingrooms just for effect/because we like it.
  • MW1310
    Options
    Hi your times and TRV sound exactly the same as ours. We are only heating 4 radiators and a small one in bathroom. We got 500 litres of oil but am wondering how long this will last. Our neighbours do the same and said it should last a good while, possibly to Feb? Though I have read other posts about it only lasting 2 months?!

Our radiators are really warm and then cool down but I assume this is due to the TRV?

Is it possible to just turn the system on for an hour if needed via the 24 hr switch then back down to the timer switch to ensure it will come on at the automatic timer?

Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it!
  • justjohn
    Options
    Yes you can flick on the heating then back too timer.
    We have a 1000 litre tank and it should last us until feb march...got 1000l in september.

Usage is dependant on you house size , trv's, rads, boiler etc
    When i first got the boiler used too leave it on 24/7 it did drink fuel lol

rads will heat up and cool down as trv's click on and off
  • scrouge
    scrouge Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    Wow 1000l until FEB- I am envious. That would probably last us 10-12 weeks. We have heating on for 4 hours in total a day, but to be honest I would love to put it on for longer as it does get chilly! We live in a 4 bed detached, admittedly it is an old house. But we do have hot water bottles, bed socks and plenty of jumpers! x
    What goes around... comes around...
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    As asked above, do you have a 'room thermostat'. i.e. a small thermostat on the wall - possibly in the hall or living romm?

That will also switch off the heating unless you have it set high enough.

It will do no harm to have the heating on 24/7 initially untill you sort out how to get the rooms at the correct temp - then back to timed.

The average house uses 20,000kWh a year - so approx 2000 litres. So to get through the winter until Feb on 500 litres is unlikely.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure