Dual query - NTL and Virgin

We currently have NTL everything (phone/tv/broadband), but are moving to an area where they do not have coverage in a month or two's time.

I have 2 questions...

Firstly, the NTL broadband contract is a 12-monthly one (I haven't checked yet when it expires etc). But if we move to an area they cannot cover and we're not at the end of the contract, will they charge us for cancelling early?

Secondly, I've been looking at other service providers and am finding it quite bewildering (having only had NTL phone line this kind of limits your search, so never really had to look before). I discovered that Virgin does not have a minimum contract term so wondered whether it was worth trying them to start off with until we find our feet a bit more in the 'non-NTL world'.

Does anyone have any experience of Virgin? We download music (legally) although not huge huge amounts. However, would not want to be too limited.

Any advice/suggestions would be gratefully received!!

Thanks,

Jane

Comments

• Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    NTL will charge you to the end of your contract as it was a 12 month contract, even if they can't provide you with the service due to you moving house.

Virgin I believe say its not minium contract will charge you now for leaving before 12 months but you would need to check their website for the T&Cs.

:)

edited to add, have a look at the last few posts on this thread which may help your situation...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=205336
  • jane_adams_2
    jane_adams_2 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Thanks for pointing me in the direction of that thread, very useful. I suspected that NTL would say that we had to pay up for the remainder of the contract, but if we can get round it with the Virgin 'loophole' (who we were thinking of using anyway) then that would be useful.
  • ec9wrr
    ec9wrr Posts: 232
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've just moved house from a digital NTL area to an analogue NTL area. I used to have broadband and phone line from NTL. When I moved to analogue area they were unable to offer broadband so I told them I didn't want phone either. Was not out of contract but they cancelled the remainder as they couldn't continue to offer me the services I required. Hope this helps. Dial 150 and stay on hold (don't re-dial the number they tell you) up until last week you could still talk to someone if you held on for long enough...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure