Help NTL asking me to pay for terminating contract..!!

Options
scrouge
scrouge Posts: 114 Forumite
HELP.... I currently have NTL phone and broadband at £24.99 a month. Took out the contract in Jan and I lived in a rented property. Am moving end of the month and have just phoned NTL to transfer the BB and Phone to my new address. No NTL connections in that area, BUT I still have to pay £24.99 until the end of my 12 month contract!!! I asked what I would be getting for my £24.99.. answer is NOTHING !!! They explained its not their fault I have decided to move house!!! Cheek of it.. Its not my fault they have decided to NOT provide the service I subscribed to..
What do I do,I really DO NOT want to pay for a service I will not receive? And what are terms of the contract (i have asked for a copy), and at what stage would I have signed this, as I knew that the rented property was only a short-term measure and pointed this out on the phone when I ordered the service?
What goes around... comes around...

Comments

• stiffnuts69
    stiffnuts69 Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    sorry to say this but I am surprised when people come on and say these things. At the end of the day it is common practice that all these types of businesses will get you to sign upto a 12 month contract. You signed upto a 12 month contract and agreed to such by signing a contract. If you were in a short term let then why sign upto a 12 month contract. You must be aware (and I can see that you have been on this board for a long time) of the way things are, and the need to look at the terms and conditions of anything you sign up to.
    Its not NTL's fault that you decided to move within the 12 month period to a non NTL area.
    (NO NO NO I dont work for NTL)
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    why didnt you sign up for a month by month contract or a 6 month one
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • clark1982
    clark1982 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    Its not NTL's fault it's your own. you would have been advised at the time of ordering it was a 12 months contract and then again in writing. You don't need to sign anything, its a verbal agreement you've entered in to, and yes its legally inforceable. Lets be fare, do customer tend to listen to the T&C's, NO, they only listen to what we want to hear. An no I don't work for NTL either
    The views expressed on this website, be they in text, pictures or sound, are my own personal views. Not those of my employer, its staff or colleagues.
  • pault123
    pault123 Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suppose its like signing a 12 month mobile phone contract.....

and then deciding to move to Spain and telling Vodafone etc you don't want it anymore because your moving. You will still pay line rental even though you would be abroad with no use for the phone.

:(
  • kenshaz
    kenshaz Posts: 3,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    But they could have given him a rebate as a goodwill gesture,he might come back to them then,look to the future
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be happy you need to make someone happy.[/FONT]
  • Itsacraig
    Itsacraig Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Dont worry mate, there is a way round it. ;0)
    If you are moving into an area where they cannot offer their service, you can cancel the service if you decide to use Virgin.net (their sister company) and use a BT line instead. This costs £17.99pm.
    If you dont want to use them either, dont worry, Virgin dont tie you into a 12 mnth contract, so you can then cancel at any time. ;0)

Hope it helps!
  • pault123
    pault123 Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thats a cheeky loophole!!
  • scrouge
    scrouge Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    Cheers itsacraig--- This was never offered to me as an option, and I do need internet connection at the new address. So i call NTL ask to go onto their Virgin interent service and I am happy! Thanks, but what about the phone line? There is a BT connection at the new address, would that be of use??? And will i just pay £17.99 for the Virgin connection and thas it???
    I LUuuuurrrvveeee this site, out of dispair come a glimmer of hope, all is not lost (fingers crossed). xx
    What goes around... comes around...
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    scrouge wrote:
    ..... but what about the phone line? There is a BT connection at the new address, would that be of use?
    You obviously missed:
    Itsacraig wrote:
    If you are moving into an area where they cannot offer their service, you can cancel the service if you decide to use Virgin.net (their sister company) and use a BT line instead. This costs £17.99pm.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Itsacraig
    Itsacraig Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Glad to be of help Scrouge. I got transferred to virgin and they told me you aint tied into their contract. ;0)
    Let us know how you get on with it.
    Yeah its a good site alright, its already given me a whole heap of money saving tips. Now in the middle of switching to the A&L account to avoid interest on my overdraft. Currently offering 0% overdraft on anything under 2.5k. (Trying to attract a younger generation custom base) Will now be saving about £25pm!
    Thanks again MSE :0)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport