🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

compensation lump sum while on benefits, will it affect my income support? plz help

Options

Comments

• Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    dawn7 wrote:
    hi scarlett
    i didnt get the money yet, and ive been told its going to be around £60,000. to my surprise, i spoke to dss again and they said if its for pain and suffering then they wont touch my benefits and it is for pain and suffering, so i dont know really. but it sounds better then it was. thnks scarlett xx
    While the Compensation Recovery Unit will not be able to touch the "Pain and Suffering" award it will still be regarded as CAPTIAL and disqualify you from further means tested benefits.
    If you are getting DLA you must be in Great Britain, or be treated as living here, and meet certain other conditions about your residence and presence.
    The only way round this is to continue to have a UK address and bank account otherwise you are limited to 26 weeks abroad unless you are receiving medical treatment abroad.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    Options
    As it is within the EU you are treated the same as a ordinary spanish citizen when it comes to claiming benefits. The spanish system however is heavily based on contributions (which you will have made none) and the amount you get if you have made no contributions or when your contributions run out is very low.

It is slightly old data but their disability benefits for over 50% disabled but not need perminant carer was under £35 per week. Their top level benefit (over 75% disabled and needing a perminant carer) was about £45 per week - you do have to pay tax on these so the take home pay would be less.
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • researcher
    researcher Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We lived in Spain for 6 years, and my advice would be DO NOT GO THERE TO LIVE ON BENEFITS OR YOU WILL STARVE.

I only realised how generous our system is when comparing it with the Spanish one.

On another note, I found the Spanish bureaucrats very helpful, the tax office even filled in our tax return for us (strictly against their regs). But we DID speak Spanish, even if not perfectly, good enough to understand and be understood. If you live there I think this is critical to successfully surviving in a foreign country.

I adore Spain, but living there without sufficient income is impossible, and it's one of the reasons that so many rip-offs and scams originate from other foreign residents desperate to stay - but without sufficient income. I could write a book about some of the ways people try to part newcomers from their money.:eek:
  • dawn7
    dawn7 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    hi
    just found out i can keep my compo payment for 12 months before they stop benefits, not bad at all thnks for ur reply
  • dawn7
    Options
    ill buy you ticket and you can come and stay with me scarlett, for as long as you want. xx
  • viktory
    viktory Posts: 7,635 Forumite
    Options
    dawn7 wrote:
    hi scarlett
    i didnt get the money yet, and ive been told its going to be around £60,000. to my surprise, i spoke to dss again and they said if its for pain and suffering then they wont touch my benefits and it is for pain and suffering, so i dont know really. but it sounds better then it was. thnks scarlett xx

Hmmmmm,really? So why then say this?
    dawn7 wrote:
    hi
    just found out i can keep my compo payment for 12 months before they stop benefits, not bad at all thnks for ur reply

And thanks for the PM. i have decided to share it with the forum, as it demonstrates what a wonderful, mature person you are. Of course, it also gives me the chance to put you straight on a few things.

The first PM I received from Dawn 7 said "up urs (sic) get stuffed you creep" Closely followed by "plz read hi
    guess what i rang the dwp today spoke to the supervisor and he told me anybody who gets awarded a compo payment we dont touch it for 1 year in otherwords dearest, im allowed my full benefits without deductions for a whole year.
    they understand that its not fair to completly stop anybodys benefit on a compo payout as it is deemed not fair.
    haaaaaaaaaaaaa. yipppppppyyyyyyyyyyyyy

thought id tell you personally, carry on working dear while im wallowing in money. mwhaaaaa xxxxxx" (sic)

Now to clarfiy a few things. One, I think you are lying but it is not important enough to trouble myself to carry out the necessary research.

Two, I love my life and I love the fact that I work and earn an exellent wage. I am respected by my colleagues and friends, have a beautiful home filled with lovely things that have been paid for with the proceeds of my own hard work. That gives me a feeling of great pride, a feeling I suspect you have yet to make acquaintance with.

Thirdly and finally I would rather have my happy life than yours. In fact, if I woke up and found I had morphed into you and your life I would drown myself in boiling oil. Slowly.

Have your compo payment and your benefits, if you can sweetheart, and enjoy them. Because I can afford to pay them.

NB I would suggest you buy an English dictonary with your ill gotten gains. You need it.
  • bikerqueen
    bikerqueen Posts: 427 Forumite
    Options
    lol. i like you, viktory.
  • raymond
    raymond Posts: 465 Forumite
    Options
    researcher wrote:
    We lived in Spain for 6 years, and my advice would be DO NOT GO THERE TO LIVE ON BENEFITS OR YOU WILL STARVE.

I only realised how generous our system is when comparing it with the Spanish one.

Maybe the UK could learn a lesson from Spain .... Say NO to spongers !
  • dawn7
    Options
    ray
    i no its hard to swollow when u get a lot of cash for nottting. yes notting. but jealousy gets u no were babes, xxx
  • dawn7
    Options
    viktory
    i have lotta lotta lotta cash, jealousy gets you no were dear. xx

get over it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing