compensation lump sum while on benefits, will it affect my income support? plz help

Options

Comments

• Scarlett1
    Scarlett1 Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    Options
    viktory wrote:
    Thanks for the lovely, warm message of support Dawn7, via PM. You have really made my day - such a well written, insightful piece of prose. It put a real smile on my face.:rotfl:
    :eek: she obviously didnt like what you had to say then :rotfl:
  • viktory
    viktory Posts: 7,635 Forumite
    Options
    dawn7 wrote:
    ted hiya
    so whats the best way to keep on benefits with £40,000

regardless of what other comments say, im sure if other people had £40,000 they would also like to continue on there benefits instead of the system been giving it to you in 1 hand and taking it back in the other, we know its enough to live on but it is a award of compensation, for terrible injuries i suffered.
    and not be classed wit hincome support and housing benefits,

WHATS THE IDEA OF GIVING YOU IT IN THE FIRST PLACE IF THEY TAKE IT BACK IN ANOTHER WAY, THATS THE POINT.

There IS no legal way of remaining on means tested benefits with £40,000 tucked in the bank. YOU read the posts properly. You will lose your IS, HB and CT. What a shame, you will have to support yourself. You can't have your cake and eat it - it is simply not possible.

You appear not to realise that the benefit system is for people that have no money - not for those that just want to hang on to what they do have.

Let's all remember this is a money saving forum - not a forum to encourage people to cheat the taxpayers.

From the posts above it looks like you will have no choice but to give up your means tested benefits as the relevant authorities will be informed of any hefty compensation claims - and that is the way it should be.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    dawn7 wrote:
    ted hiya
    so whats the best way to keep on benefits with £40,000
    I don't think you will be able to but if get a good benefits aware solicitor he may be able to ensure the compensation award is worded so that it minimises the amount they can claw back for the disability benefits you have already received.
    He may if there are appropriate circumstances be able to stage the award payments so that rather than you having £40,000 and no means tested benefits, be able to put the money into a trust, without your having access or control over it, from which staged payments could be made over the course of the next 10 years. However such a discretionary trust may attract management fees which means the solicitor managing it gets a disproportionate amount but you would need to look into this.

The same problem occurs with those who get medical negligence claims which will affect the claimant for the rest of their life but which gets absorbed on immediate needs as the recipient in chucked off benefits.
    Five yrs down the line the disabled person has none of these compensation assets left and no way to manage on the level of state benefits.
    It needs forward planning at the award of compensation stage to ensure the long term needs of the disabled person are catered for appropriately.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • dawn7
    dawn7 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    thnks ted
    you seem to know what your talking about. im going to see a solicitor who hopefully, knows a few tricks, as im sure they do.
    as you know theres allways a way round things, andi know theres a way round keeping the benefits as well, its finding the rite advice from a professinal solicitor who knows the ins and outs, and then ill let you know whats happening thnks ted
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ***Boardguide Comment***

Hi,

I'm closing this thread and have asked the Forum Team to have a look at it.

It is against the site rules to suggest illegal or potentially illegal activity.

Please be nice to all moneysavers.

Thanks. :)
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • dawn7
    Options
    just wondered what benefits uk citizens can claim abroad, if you were to live there permantly, preferbly spain.

is it possible to swap your claim over from the uk to spain. and is it straight forward, and what is the value of benefits is it the same as uk. more or less in money.
  • Scarlett1
    Options
    you would still have to declare you £40k no matter what country you claimed benefits in ;)
  • dawn7
    Options
    hi scarlett
    i didnt get the money yet, and ive been told its going to be around £60,000. to my surprise, i spoke to dss again and they said if its for pain and suffering then they wont touch my benefits and it is for pain and suffering, so i dont know really. but it sounds better then it was. thnks scarlett xx
  • Scarlett1
    Options
    £60K :eek: spend it wisely hun ;) send me a plane ticket when you get to spain :T
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Options
    I lived in Spain for 3 years. I know it is not possible to claim even child benefit if you are not permanently resident in the UK. Unemployment benefit is possible. If you want to claim anything in Spain be prepared to jump through bureaucratic hoops for many months, and also be able to speak Spanish. Civil servants in Spain give very short shrift to anyone unable to speak Spanish. Some UK benefits are payable in Spain such as SRP, but I think it must be accepted that the British Welfare System is very generous and another country will not necessarily provide the same standard of support. This is borne out by the fact that asylum seekers continue travelling through other EU countries to reach Britain. There is no social housing in Spain for foreigners. Having said all that I am sure you would love it in Spain.

Incidentally it took us 4 months to get registered with a doctor and we had an E121.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure