Great 'Who Pays Compensation If You Ask?' Hunt

Comments

• gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Halifax gave me £20 as a goodwill payment after they started taking direct debits from my bank account for someone else's credit card, and then failed to get it sorted for ages whilst giving me the wrong information on how to sort it anyway. I did have to ask a couple of times as "they don't do goodwill payments" according to their front-line call centre staff; the payment in the end was supposed to cover the over 2 hours (timed) I'd spent on hold to them trying to sort it out.
  • HuntH1
    HuntH1 Posts: 4 Newbie
    When I was charged incorrectly by BT Broadband for 4 months (after cancelling and switching to much cheaper supplier) I complained and requested compensation for my time, effort and loss of bank interest.

I got nothing.
  • Received £125 compensation from John Lewis (online) after receiving not 1, not 2 but 3 damaged wardrobes from their nursery range. Eventually sent all nursery furniture back for a full refund.

Also got £45 back from American Express (Platinum credit card) after they failed to take my first monthly direct debit payment resulting in a late payment charge (also refunded) despite the fact that I had already told them the direct debit agreement had not been established with my bank!

As a nation I don't think we complain enough - we seem to be so used to bad service nowadays that we've come to expect it and treat it as the norm. As a result, I always try to make a point of recognising good service when I receive it.
  • Hello All First time on here so being polite.
    I recentlly got ntl package,about a month ago.After the first month they tried to take out 1/5 months billing without informing me at any stage that this is what they were going to do.As a result my billing account went overdrawn incurring charges.NTL said they couldn't refund the charges but would deduct the amount from my next bill,which was really great ,though i never received their first bill.I complained about all this and eventually received the bank charges knocked off my bill and also got the free family pack offer extended to 3months.
    IT REALLY IS WORTH COMPLAINING ABOUT POOR SERVICE :j
  • Twice recently I complained to BT about interupted service on my Broadband and both times I was given two weeks creditwhich works out at about £22.
  • s0198362
    s0198362 Posts: 57 Forumite
    I recently recieved cold calls from O2. The first time around I politeley asked them to remove me from their marketing list and was assured this would be done. 3 days later I was again cold called by O2, saying that they had seen I spent a lot on my monthly payments (I don't see how, as I am with a different operator and also it was untrue). I asked to speak to the manager I was quite rightly !!!!!! off. Was told that it was impossible to transfer me (odd for a telecomunications company) and then got hung up as the guy at the call centre refused to give me details of who he was for a complaint etc. etc.

Anyway, I wrote off to O2 complaining, and got a £10 voucher. Not much, but paid for an incar charger which I needed for my phone.
  • Powergen gave me £80 for not collecting my directs debits for several months
  • stuzhunter
    stuzhunter Posts: 782 Forumite
    First Post
    Received £125 compensation from John Lewis (online) after receiving not 1, not 2 but 3 damaged wardrobes from their nursery range. Eventually sent all nursery furniture back for a full refund.

Also got £45 back from American Express (Platinum credit card) after they failed to take my first monthly direct debit payment resulting in a late payment charge (also refunded) despite the fact that I had already told them the direct debit agreement had not been established with my bank!

As a nation I don't think we complain enough - we seem to be so used to bad service nowadays that we've come to expect it and treat it as the norm. As a result, I always try to make a point of recognising good service when I receive it.

I'll back you up on that one. Say no to bad services & mis-treatment to customers but yes to compensation!
  • Gingertom_2
    Gingertom_2 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Three goes at cancelling a Standing Order, in person, at the bank branch, to no avail.
    Overdrawn becaus they continued to pay it.
    Letters etc
    Charges for letters and visits etc etc.
    Eventually all resolved with a letter of apology.
    Replied to letter.
    Thank you etc etc.....Phone calls to Branch £......
    Letters to Branch £......
    Visits to Branch £......
    TOTAL £42 50
    Reply from Bank :- Have deposited £50 in your account as a goodwill gesture.
    RESULT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Lublin
    Lublin Posts: 37 Forumite
    Next gave me £50 vouchers after delivering the wrong armchair after a long wait. I told them it wasn't good enough and they gave me an extra 20% off purchase price. Also complained to Royal Mail for not dellivering my mail properly and they sent me six first class stamps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure