PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Botany
    Botany Posts: 244 Forumite
    Morning All,

just a quick update: I spent £7.38 in Aldi yesterday, meaning that I am now over budget by £30.91... :mad:

Must do better next month!!!
  • Have come to admit that I have lost the plot completely for November so will be beginning again for December with a budget of £350 and will have to hope to do better!
    December GC: £350
  • Keiss_21
    Keiss_21 Posts: 2,652 Forumite
    Hya folks

Well, I had hoped yesterday would be a NSD, but OH kindly went to Mr T and got OJ, cucumber, tomatoes and tomato sauce last night....OK we had run out of all of them, but I had hoped we could keep going until next month. Admittedly that is all he got, so it could have been much worse.

He also went to the chippy for tea last night as I was still suffering from my visit to hospital....old Mirena coil out, new one in....OUCH:eek::eek:!!, It did hurt, but it should last for another 5/6 years and should help with the inevitable menopause......:D

Still feeling rough this morning, but hoping I will feel well enough to take friend out for lunch. It will be her first time out since she had her eye op last week. It seems to have been a success, but she has had to lie down at least 50 minutes every hour for the first week. She has been going barmy as she couldn't see much initially, so no reading, computer or going out at all. Her sight is slowly improving everyday, so a trip out will really cheer her up.

This month's spending has been rather more than I would have wanted, but is still sooo much better than if I hadn't been doing the GC challenge, so I that is good I suppose. :rolleyes:

Right off to update my signature....scary, but by still keeping track means I don't just go absolutely mad and spend-crazy!!

Have a good weekend everyone.

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb
  • HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

BigMummaF – I’m going to give the December NSDs a go!! See you over there. :j
    Well done candygirl & cookiedough38l!! :T
    Hi newgran! :hello:

NSD yesterday! woohoo... but have to buy lunch today! boo.... :(
    I'm going to try and complete to NSD challenge this month (going to aim for 5,6 or 7 - not decided yet) - so wish me luck! :rotfl:
    Trying hard to money save....
  • Hi all,
    I have been following this thread for the last month or so and have decided to face the music and join in for December..
    Soooo can I please be put down for budget of £250...
    Our month starts on 23rd of the month so have already done big shop to last majority of month (fingers crossed) should only have week upto Christmas to worry about now so am hoping I can keep this in budget.. (there are only 3 of us)
    Nothing is impossible...
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hello jade :wave: and welciome to the GC. Helen will add you to the front page list shortly and pink will be starting the December thread in the next day or so; she will post on here to let us know when its started. Good luck with your first GC! ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,011
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 27 November 2009 at 11:53AM
    Total disaster this week - I spent £35.66 and that total is after £8 of vouchers have been taken off. I wish I could say I went mad in the booze section ;), but it was just fruit and veg. I completely ignored my list and forgot the 2nd most important thing on it which was the marge for making crumble topping so I can use the lovely apples my mother brought me. However with all the fresh fruit I now have to get through before it goes off I shall just cook and freeze the apples ready for use next month.

So, my total to declare for November is £87.92 which is £27.92 over budget.

I shall have a major sort out of my finances this weekend and work out what to do for December. It's going to be really tight. Luckily I'm going to friends for Christmas day although I am providing "posh breakfast" (on a v. small budget :o) for 8. That'll be a challenge.

Having bought so much this month I shouldn't need too much for me for December, plus I'm going away for the whole of January so need to leave my fridge empty.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Morning everyone

Welcome to our new people - lovely to see you here. Don't forget to check out the recipes posted on page 1 by the wonderful Rosieben - she does a great job of hunting the recipes down and nabbing them for us. Please remember that this is not a win/fail budget you are setting for your shopping, its a budget that helps you stay focused on what you are spending and why so no-one fails if they go over their budget. Have fun with your NO shopping and remember to keep posting.

Budgets done up to Jade - will post them on here later

Helenx
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • skilly
    skilly Posts: 922
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    hi all,gone £33.17 over for november.bought lots of bits and bobs for xmas ,but what made me go over was a voucher which said if i spent over £40.00 it would knock off £20.00 so it had be done lol.
    sealed pot challenge number 31 3£496/4£706.75/5 £376.74/6 £645.08/ 7 £861.34 /8 £786.90/9£610.49/10 £722.03 / 16 £802.00/ 17 £? gold star from sue 🌟
  • Jadek
    Jadek Posts: 102
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hey there, another new Jade here, I'm new to MSE (although have been browsing it for a while before I started posting) and I thought I should definitely give this challenge a go, I actually saw it in someones sig on another forum and went on a hunt for it!

I moved out of home for the first time a couple of months ago and am living with my partner and we're still trying to get into a routine when it comes to doing our food shopping (at the moment I'm still in the habit of buying my lunch at work a lot of the time etc. which I keep resolving to stop doing, I was going good for about a week and then caved in today when I fancied some chips!).

When I first budgeted for everything when I moved out of home I allowed £120 a month for the two of us for a month of groceries including food and household items so as I can say I have no clue what we've actually spent in the last couple of months in the supermarkets I guess £120 is as good a place as any to start, although I would like it to become a bit lower over time, especially when reading some of the amazing money saving stories on here! I've told myself numerous times I was going to plan meals, batch cook and freeze etc. but so far no success, so I guess that's my main goal, to get more organised!

I guess as it's almost December I'll start on £120 from when the December challenge starts but thought I'd pop in and say hi to everyone now, I'm looking forward to starting this!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure