PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

mosquitoes

Options
i got bitten to death the other night in the garden and they all swelled up horribly - am a bit worried as I'm off camping next week - any ideas as to how to keep them away especially whilst sitting around at night?
Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010:j

Comments

• vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    citronella and smoke work well

if you have a camp fire or barbeque hold a bandana or similar over the fire to absorb smoke then tie one each around head and limbs.

scares the midgies away like billy oh :D
    Blah
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    spray yourself all over with white vinegar youll stink but they stay away

also they love cheese, so put a stinky peice of blue cheese a little away from where your sitting and they flock to that. instead of you

hate the buggers but if you do get bitten white vinegar is exellent and I mean exellent.

better than anything ive ever used for itchy bites
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    spray yourself all over with white vinegar   youll stink but they stay away

also   they love cheese, so put a stinky peice of blue cheese a little away from where your sitting and they flock to that. instead of you

hate the buggers    but  if you do get bitten  white vinegar is exellent     and I mean  exellent.

better than anything ive ever used for itchy bites

i am amazed...... just got home from 10 lovely sunny days camping. but got bitten severly on legs, arms and head (bald) , thought i might check out on this board for treatements as the bites are bl@@dy itching like mad and weep horrible yellow stuff if scraatched,

as i dont have white vinegar will other stuff works as well?

triedseveral different tubes of cream, but short of actually chopping my hands of, I cant stop scratchign them.... aaaggh
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you could try the brown vinegar but get some white asap

I have a reaction like that to mozzyz and couldnt beleive the non reaction I got when I used the vinegar right away after being bitten

have a bath with the handful of bicarb in it that will help

awwwww
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you could try the brown vinegar   but get some white asap

I have a reaction like that to mozzyz and couldnt beleive the non reaction I got when I used the vinegar right away after being bitten

have   a bath with the handful of bicarb in it  that will help

I always found germoline good as well as it has an anasthetic in it so you get a half hour or so of no itchys
    awwwww
  • Cariad_3
    Cariad_3 Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    I have just ordered Avon Woodland Fresh shower gel and dry body spray which according to many,many campers works a treat against mosquitos, BYGOF in the Avon catalogue at the moment.
    Apparently works better than a lot of these expensive brands.
  • mink35
    mink35 Posts: 6,068 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wasn't there something in the media recently about eating marmite and keeping the mozzies away?
    Mink
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Avon's Skin-So-Soft range is the one most people use and say keeps mosquitoes away,

a garlic capsule every day helps too
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Nurse_Bambi
    Nurse_Bambi Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    I live near the thames and water works so get loads in the house on an evening if i keep the windows open. They hang around in the bedroom attacking you once the lights are out!!

Apparently they are attracted to carbon dioxide breathed out. I find a fan helps keep them away. I'm also trying some aromotherpy oils - frankinsence - but I'm not sure if it works yet! When I was on holiday I used Life Venturer insect repellent and that seemed to work - not one bite!

Also the best way to kill them is to throw a large item, eg a cushion at them, as they dont see it coming - chase them with a rolled up mag and they get away!
    No links in signatures by site rules - Forum Team 2
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You would think that maniacal look in my eyes when I spot one and start doing a dalek impression stalking it round the room sayin

EXTERRRMINATE EXTERRRMINATE

would see them off, but having lived right on the thames at walton on thames once I know those Home county mozzys are made of sterner stuff than that

;D ;D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport