PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

mosquitoes

Options
2»

Comments

• divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Avon's Skin-So-Soft range is the one most people use and say keeps mosquitoes away,

a garlic capsule every day helps too

i was reading a while back in the paper that this sss stuff from avon works apparently the sas use it for when they are training/ missions etc.... avon are apparently investigating as to why this stuff works so well.

But i know what will happen then they will re package it double the price and sell it as insect repellent ;)
  • Travelqueen
    Options
    The Vitamin B thing (i.e. Marmite) is an old wives tale, I eat loads of it, and used to take vit B to keep them away, all to no avail.

However.. mossie spray and wristbands work pretty well, as does cutting down on the amount of sugary foods you eat...

If you do get bitten methods that work include: taking a one a day antihistimine (so you don't scratch whilst you sleep), putting a cross in the middle of the bite with a thumbnail (be careful not to break the skin), tigerbalm applied to all unbroken bites (not when you're going to sunbathe as it magnifies the heat) and the little electric shock things you can buy from boots work a treat - if you want to give someone a shock for some reason too the palm of the hand makes everyone jump out of their skin.. ;op

TQ
    One day everything I earn will be mine and not the banks... ::rotfl:
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    eat marmte every mmorning on toast and never get bitten by owt. must be somethin in it.
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If theres me and the old fart, I get eaten alive and he gets off scott free

bloody men!!!
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oddly enough if it was always the hubby who got bit, not me, but he didn''t like marmite, only bramble jelly. memories. :-/
  • rach
    rach Posts: 5,476 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    just to report back....went camping the other week.. put vinegar on my wrists & ankles and got lots fewer bites than usual...(thought is was raining quite a bit of the time). also found dabbing the vinegar on when bitten as cathy suggested really really helped.
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010:j
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    glad it worked rach

well, Ive been taking cider vinegar tablets for about 8 weeks now as they are supposed to cure you of everything lol

In liverpool where I stay, they have a pond and ponds mean Mozzys, last time I was bitten to bits

so there I am in the garden everyone being chewed up and not a mozzy came near me, then I realised, cider vinegar in your dog and cats food stops them getting fleas cos the fleas hate the smell off their skin
    and mozzys must hate cider vinegar on you skin

YAY

come on mozzys do your worst. ;D ;D
  • chalky_75
    chalky_75 Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    Options
    If you get bitten cover the bite with a good layer of any white toothpaste. It might look a bit odd but it takes the itching away like magic.
    Try and do a good deed every day.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Eton_Rifle wrote: »
    Rach's camping trip in the first post was ten years ago.

Any itching has probably died down by now!

I think 10 years might just take the prize for necro-posting. :rotfl:

When I saw the thread title, I did think it would be an old post but 10 years........:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure