Great ‘Amazon Shopping Tricks’ Hunt

Comments

• giovanni
    giovanni Posts: 415 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Students get 5% discount on Amazon purchases with NUS card - you need to register on the NUS website and it will give you a code to paste into the gift voucher code box when you order on Amazon.

Granted it doesn't sound like a lot but if you buy a lot of stuff on there (I'm thinking textbooks, particularly for next year as the codes run out on the 31st August 2010) it soon adds up.

Not actually completely true, only on dvds, books, mp3s and a bit more NOT on everything!
  • rozeepozee
    rozeepozee Posts: 1,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    There is a VERY easy way to prove this theory on your home computer.

Have 2 web browsers installed, lets say Firefox and internet explorer. Only ever login to your Amazon account using your normal main browser of choice. When you want to check a price, use the other browser to find it (without logging in) as it will have no cookie history for your account. Hey presto you can compare the two prices side by side for any difference. :D
    That's a really useful tip but I've already ordered through both... What other web browsers are there out there that members would recommend?
  • I would like to echo those people who are commending Amazon for their excellent customer service. Even if it costs a few extra pounds I usually use them for purchases of electrical items.

I bought a VCR from them that developed a fault after nine months. I was asked to send it back to them at their expense and I got a full refund.

I bought a printer from them which came with an EU plug instead of a UK one.I told them I did not want to send the whole printer back if they were just able to send me another power cord. They offered me a £12.50 refund which I accepted because Amazon sell power cords for printers for less than that.:confused: Then I got a cable that was being thrown out at work.:cheesy:

Amazon have twice refunded my money when one of their affiliated companies failed to deliver goods to me :T
  • A.Jones wrote: »
    It is now free supersaver delivery on any purchase (at least until the New Year). So unless you are desperate for products to arrive next day, £50 is a lot to pay for delivery over a year, when you can get the delivery slightly slower for nothing.

Purchased a watch with free delivery from Amazon, plus several other items via Amazon in same basket, used one click. Watch cost just over 20 GBP. I always check P & P, found Amazon had allocated 1st class for the watch, tried to change 1st class for free delivery but would not do it. Getting desperate :eek: limited time to change so went to cancel - would not do :mad: still would not change delivery either. Ended up paying 25% extra on watch :confused: Just started Christmas shopping for the family, in no hurry for goods and need to spend money on pressies not P & P. Emailed Amazon told them what had happened and requested refund on P & P, they have not replied to my emails :rolleyes:

Other goods in basket were from Sports Direct, via Amazon, got them in one parcel for lowest P & P :T plus freebie keyring with compass, light and whistle :rotfl: Have had good purchases from Sports Direct thanks to post on forum for Karrimor walking boots. :j Saving keyrings for Christmas tree gifts ;)
  • There is a VERY easy way to prove this theory on your home computer.

Have 2 web browsers installed, lets say Firefox and internet explorer. Only ever login to your Amazon account using your normal main browser of choice. When you want to check a price, use the other browser to find it (without logging in) as it will have no cookie history for your account. Hey presto you can compare the two prices side by side for any difference. :D

If you use one browser(firefox) to check price as you suggest how do you get the price down to the lowest figure when you order if you do not have an Amazon account on firefox. If you order on your browser which has the account then presumably you can only order at that price. If yu order via firefox won't they pick up your ip address etc.
  • ettie
    ettie Posts: 9 Forumite
    Amazon are still stating on their website that their deliveries are not affected by the postal strike. THEY ARE! They are continuing to use Royal Mail.

Any complaints to them are met with a patronising standard reply.
  • Torkijo
    Torkijo Posts: 506 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    ettie wrote: »
    Amazon are still stating on their website that their deliveries are not affected by the postal strike. THEY ARE! They are continuing to use Royal Mail.

Any complaints to them are met with a patronising standard reply.

Think it might be in certain areas as they are using City Link for most of the ones around us.
  • rozeepozee wrote: »
    That's a really useful tip but I've already ordered through both... What other web browsers are there out there that members would recommend?

Google Chrome is rather good, I use that as my main browser now. Easy and quick to download.

All rather sneaky with these hidden cookies though, especially if other sites are using them. Will be bearing that in mind in future...!
  • danny_x
    danny_x Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    nigreeves wrote: »
    If you use one browser(firefox) to check price as you suggest how do you get the price down to the lowest figure when you order if you do not have an Amazon account on firefox. If you order on your browser which has the account then presumably you can only order at that price. If yu order via firefox won't they pick up your ip address etc.

Your Amazon account is with Amazon, not on a particular browser. You can log in to it from any browser.
  • ettie
    ettie Posts: 9 Forumite
    Torkijo wrote: »
    Think it might be in certain areas as they are using City Link for most of the ones around us.

What is even more annoying is that they are saying that Amazon Prime is not affected well it clearly is because I (stupidly) have it. I will be cancelling it for next year.:mad:

I have noticed that they used to use City Link for us too and delivery used to be super quick.

Why are they still using Royal Mail for amazon prime even in the middle of a dispute? It's not as is they didn't know this was planned. I can't get a straight answer from them at all - just platitudes about parcels might go missing for a number of reasons.:confused:

I will be buying the stuff from elsewhere and then returning it to them so they have to pay the postage twice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure