Great ‘Amazon Shopping Tricks’ Hunt

Comments

• Become an Amazon Associate and add their link to their website onto your blog or website.

Then pick up 5% commission (Discount) every time you (or anyone else who goes via your website) buys anything from Amazon.

It's a bit of a long-term strategy as they only pay out when your commission totals £25, but if you're buying a fair bit from amazon (£500 is the trigger) it's a bit more discount.
  • I'm not sure Amazon likes that Associate trick, but I can't see the harm if friends and family buy their Amazon stuff through the site.

There is - I think, because I've not tested it - an even sneakier method using the affiliate system. You get 6% for any Amazon gift certificate bought through your link - slightly higher than the normal 5%.

And I'm not certain, but I suspect you can get the 6% for the certificate, then another 5% when that certificate is used to buy products...
  • Naykon
    Naykon Posts: 51 Forumite
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Does appear still to be true. Just managed to get lower prices by going in on another PC with a different IP address with no Amazon cookies. Doesn't seem to work just by stripping out the cookies on your own PC, or another PC on the same network, because Amazon recognizes both the cookies and the IP address.

This is absolutely scandalous if true :eek:
  • grey-matters
    grey-matters Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 30 October 2009 at 1:46PM
    If you have a nectar card, you can collect nectar points on your Amazon shopping. You need to login to the nectar website and click through to Amazon from there BEFORE you put anything in your basket, otherwise you won't get the points.
  • Does anyone else find that they sometimes end up buying more than one of an item like a book or a dvd, because they put it in their basket before on another day and forgot it ? This has happened to me a couple of times. So it's always good to double check the quantities. (Obviously easy to spot if youre just buying one book, but you might miss it if you're buying a few things).

If you already ordered something and you go to the product page again, it tells you that you already bought it so that's handy to stop you making duplicate purchases.
  • This article in The Times last week says that in 2000, there was a scandal when customers discovered that if they deleted their cookies - the computer files that store information on a user's internet use - they could obtain a different price for the same goods on Amazon. This was because Amazon were offering different prices for the same things to different customers, depending on what their purchasing histories suggested they might be willing to pay

There is a VERY easy way to prove this theory on your home computer.

Have 2 web browsers installed, lets say Firefox and internet explorer. Only ever login to your Amazon account using your normal main browser of choice. When you want to check a price, use the other browser to find it (without logging in) as it will have no cookie history for your account. Hey presto you can compare the two prices side by side for any difference. :D
  • laurel7172
    laurel7172 Posts: 2,071 Forumite
    Presumably those of us on cable with shifting IP addresses could get away with just deleting the cookies?
    import this
  • I think that the minimum purchase for free delivery is £15. However I found - by accident - that if you have a purchase below this, then you can buy an additional product to take you over the £15, and thus cancelling the P&P fee, and then you can edit the order to remove the additional item, and your P&P doesn't get added on.
  • BoltonBex
    BoltonBex Posts: 204 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Stingy_Stu wrote: »
    I think that the minimum purchase for free delivery is £15. However I found - by accident - that if you have a purchase below this, then you can buy an additional product to take you over the £15, and thus cancelling the P&P fee, and then you can edit the order to remove the additional item, and your P&P doesn't get added on.

There is now no minimum spend to get free delivery on Amazon. Yay!
  • Blamin wrote: »
    Become an Amazon Associate and add their link to their website onto your blog or website.

Then pick up 5% commission (Discount) every time you (or anyone else who goes via your website) buys anything from Amazon.

It's a bit of a long-term strategy as they only pay out when your commission totals £25, but if you're buying a fair bit from amazon (£500 is the trigger) it's a bit more discount.
    I think I read on the Amazon site where they say the Associates is not a cashback site and that any products you buy yourself will not count towards your commission. So you could click through (by 'testing' a product link works properly) to the amazon website using your own link, but they would know it was you and not pay you the commission.
    =)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport