IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

National Clamps - we care (not)

Options

Comments

• real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    budgetboy wrote: »
    Clamping is ok for car park management. Think about it from a car park owners view... A disabled old woman who finds it hard to get about can't park in the disabled place but instead has to park down the street. Is that fair? Should nobody be punished? (as in the person parked in the disabled place should be fined.) Please advise what should be done in this kind of situation...

How does a private company getting £80 (or more) help the disabled person who couldn't park in a disabled space? Do you pass the money on to the person who was affected?

Do these companies choose not to issue invoices when a disabled space is used by an apparently non-disabled persson, if there are other disabled spaces available for the duraation of the stay and therefore no disabled person has been affected?
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    Options
    Yet another manifestation of the love of car park management in the Preston area.

Akenham Ltd is a director of Lancashire Clamping Company Ltd (National Clamps is a trading title of theirs). Given that LCC Ltd is subject of a First Gazette issued on 9 February one would have to wonder if we are not about to witness another phoenix - especially with the a tax haven based directorship.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • budgetboy_2
    Options
    I'm sorry, didn't realise this was a 'lets all slate National Clamps' thread.

What happened to 'freedom of speech'?

The way I saw the thread it was more to do with discussions regarding National Clamps. Not a National Clamps abuse thread... was I wrong?
    BB
  • Dave_save
    Options
    I'm sorry, didn't realise this was a 'lets all slate National Clamps' thread.

What happened to 'freedom of speech'?

The way I saw the thread it was more to do with discussions regarding National Clamps. Not a National Clamps abuse thread... was I wrong?

So you are here to defend them? Go ahead. So far you've stated that the wording on their website is unambiguous and you also make them out to be some kind of service to the greater population, protecting the old, infirm and vulnerable.

As Peter states above, he e-mailed this company to ask what legislation they are referring to. I also did the same thing. Neither of us have got an answer. Now I realise these guys must be busy 'protecting us all from the nasty parkers out there', but you'd think, if their statements are built on rock solid information, they'd be only too pleased to correct us all.

The truth of the matter is, this particular company clamps vehicles and extorts money based on threats. And guess who pays up? The old infirm and the vulnerable, because these are the very people the scum like National Clamps feed off to line their grubby pockets.
  • Dave_save
    Dave_save Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 February 2010 at 3:46PM
    Options
    Another little gem from their website:

''Installation Engineers and Sign Erectors

We currently have 5,000 car park warning signs in 365 towns and cities, these need to be changed every 2 to 3 years. When replaced they need to be both level and plumb, evenly spaced, secure and installed without any inconvenience to the proprietor.''

While I don't really see the difference between ''level'' and ''plumb'', I did notice there's no mention of these signs being able to be easily read by their potential victims. I suppose if they were, these 'Sign Erectors' would soon be looking for another job!
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 22 February 2010 at 6:07PM
    Options
    I'm sorry...

Don't apologise to us, you helped by bumping this thread again so more people see it! :D

IMHO, what you should apologise for is being connected to a despised clamping company who do absolutely nothing useful whatsoever, certainly not to help the disabled.

In Scotland and in Jersey (and many other Countries) clamping is illegal. :T

Clamping firms in England & Wales are still 'hanging on in there' because you currently take advantage of the fact the average British person hasn't a clue about their rights and would be too polite to argue even when their car is illegally clamped. You also take advantage of the Government and Police inaction over this extortion - hopefully that will change.

But hey, what goes around comes around.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • budgetboy_2
    Options
    Oh jesus christ... this all started with me saying £80 isn't QUITE AS BAD as £500...

Now I've been labeled a granny beating clamper when I don't have the faintest idea how to operate a clamp.
    In Scotland and in Jersey (and many other Countries) clamping is illegal. :T
    Why don't you move there then if the grass is so much greener???

Or another idea for you, stop whining about somebodys company over the internet and vote for somebody who opposes clamping.

Or just move as far away from england as you like, life would be so much better for you.

One final idea for you. Ring the police when you get clamped, or become a lawyer! Do something meaningful!
    BB
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh jesus christ... this all started with me saying £80 isn't QUITE AS BAD as £500...

Now I've been labeled a granny beating clamper when I don't have the faintest idea how to operate a clamp.

OK, maybe you work in the back office then, or for a debt collector who think they are a bailiff?

Why don't you move there then if the grass is so much greener???

The clampers should be the ones to move out of Britain - or get a real job. Ordinary people shouldn't have to move because of a bunch of crooks. By the way I have never even been clamped myself - and any firm using such knuckle-dragging thugs wouldn't get my business. I simply believe that clamping is extortion and people who get clamped should not just roll over and allow a fly-by-night firm to steal their money.

Or another idea for you, stop whining about somebodys company over the internet and vote for somebody who opposes clamping.

Would definitely do so if a party had this a firm policy along with other policies I agree with.

One final idea for you. Ring the police when you get clamped, or become a lawyer!

Don't need to. Firstly I will never be clamped I suspect, as stated above I won't park where such parasites crawl. If it ever happened I would simply point out the many illegalities of the knuckle-draggers' modus operandi in a Small Claim against the clampers and against the clueless plonkers who instructed them.

Do something meaningful!

I think I do. I've worked with disabled people and I now work in education. You?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • budgetboy_2
    Options
    First result on Google for clamping legislation: http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/tpm/tmaportal/tmafeatures/tmapart6/secparkingfactsheets/parkclampremoval
    A government web site?

This links to another government web site: http://www.sia.homeoffice.gov.uk/Pages/home.aspx
    This web site welcomes you to search for your clampers name and you can see if they can legally clamp you.
    BB
  • budgetboy_2
    Options
    I'm terribly sorry I seem to have offended you. Just to make things clear I don't work for a clamping company on the front line or in a back office.

You don't seem to understand something though... Rules are still rules you can't argue with that. So whatever our government says goes.

Without a clear set of rules there would be anarchy.

This is my last post in this thread... I'll leave you to rant about clampers all you want. No hard feelings.
    BB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport