Debate House Prices

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team and we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand. As a result, we’ve reluctantly decided to temporarily close the Debate House Prices & the Economy Board so that we can redirect our limited resources to those who need us most at this time.

Please do not post content intended for this board elsewhere in the forum – we appreciate your help and understanding during this exceptionally difficult time. It goes without saying, we hope to get back to full business as soon as possible!

MSE News: Unemployment up, but pace of rise easing

edited 11 November 2009 at 11:11AM in Debate House Prices & the Economy
44 replies 483 views

Replies

• abaxas wrote: »
    Where is that number from?

Other than someone's fantasy.

100% employment - 7.8% unemployed = 92.2% employed :T

talking about fantasy... let's get back to your fantasy point -
    abaxas wrote: »
    Any news on the other 3-4 million people who are not on JSA but dont work?

Has this number increased/decreased etc etc
    anywhere apart from data from HPC.co.uk that you could back this up with :rolleyes:
  • ariarniaariarnia Forumite
    2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    chucky wrote: »

surely - 92.2%

Employed, pensionable, in FTE, on the sick, official carers, on income support etc, etc?

or indeed the people (like my partner who was unemployed for more than 6 months before running out of money, not excess savings, all his/our money) who are unemployed but not on JSA
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?
  • edited 12 November 2009 at 6:51AM
    worldtravellerworldtraveller Forumite
    14K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 November 2009 at 6:51AM
    lemonjelly wrote: »
    Personally doubt unemployment has peaked - unfortunately.

For me, the unemployment peak will be in 2010. If we have a really bad christmas, it may be sooner in the year rather than later.

I disagree on your second point, but agree on the first!

IMHO, unemployment will peak in 2011, when we will see that peak figure being well over the current view of the majority of the economist's, 3 million. That will be a result of a further UK dip into recession (after coming out briefly at the end of 2009/early 2010) at the end of 2010, into early 2011.

Much of that dip back into recession will be due to that continued rising unemployment, less public spending, higher taxation, increasing inflation & interest rates after the next General Election.

This will all result in a further large rise in repossessions and falling house values and reduced consumer spending.

Add to that credit card debt default, student loan debt default, car loan debt default, falls in commercial property values, etc. etc. and these will all have a seriously adverse effect on the economy.

The recent "green shoots" are, IMHO, nothing more than an inevitable, slight, taxpayer subsidised improvement, which has cost them £ billions. That injection of taxpayer funds has really had very little effect so far and the medium/long term cost to the UK taxpayer and their future generations is enormous.

It's pretty much all, basically, a false, fake, politically inspired situation and one that will fail, I fear, very badly indeed!
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • setmefree2 wrote: »
    All that is true. I have 2 late teenage boys so I worry about their job prospects and the cost of houses. That, however, was not my point.

The point I was trying to make is that HPC is clearly a biased site but you are entitled to your opinion if you do not agree.
    To be fair to HPC there is an obvious clue in the name. On MSE however I have been watching the "MSE News" for a while, and it seems to be good news only on here. I suppose membership of both would give a nice balance.

Best not to get all your news from one source only.
  • Mr.Brown wrote: »
    To be fair to HPC there is an obvious clue in the name. On MSE however I have been watching the "MSE News" for a while, and it seems to be good news only on here. I suppose membership of both would give a nice balance.

Welcome to the board. :rolleyes:

I guess your viewing is blinkered ;)

UK economy still in recession
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2027947

House price growth slowing
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2027951

Unemployment rises by 88,000
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2007381

House prices fall for first time in four months
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1968505

Unemployment hits 14 year high
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1950505

Are house prices falling again
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1879097

Theres more, I could go on
    :wall:
    What we've got here is....... failure to communicate.
    Some men you just can't reach.
    :wall:
  • abaxasabaxas Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    chucky wrote: »

talking about fantasy... let's get back to your fantasy point -

anywhere apart from data from HPC.co.uk that you could back this up with :rolleyes:

So your are into child labour. I'll take a 20p a day housework slave please.
  • I must have missed the one on todays Fitch report? More or less important story than the movement in unemployment figures? Perhaps they could have run with both? Up to the editor of course.

The unemployment figures are the tail end of yesterdays ongoing story. The Fitch report could be the beginning of the next story.
  • StevieJStevieJ Forumite
    20.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr.Brown wrote: »

Maybe, just maybe the news has improved over the past year.
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • StevieJ wrote: »
    Maybe, just maybe the news has improved over the past year.
    As the banking system didn't quite collapse, and by borrowing more we have managed to put off tomorrow? Some good headlines. It seems to good to be true, that we have got off scot free after such a bad situation. Just lucky do you think, or is there more nasty economic scary stuff coming our way?
  • StevieJStevieJ Forumite
    20.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr.Brown wrote: »
    I must have missed the one on todays Fitch report? More or less important story than the movement in unemployment figures? Perhaps they could have run with both? Up to the editor of course.

The unemployment figures are the tail end of yesterdays ongoing story. The Fitch report could be the beginning of the next story.

Are they the guys who 'AAA' rated the sub-prime CDO's that got us into this mess :confused:
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

54 ways to ‘DIY it’

According to the MSE Forum

MSE Team Blog

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News

Lidl '£10 off £40 spend' voucher

Via Metro or Daily Mail. Excludes NI

MSE Deals